Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage1.png
Twitter updated its official iPhone and iPad apps today. The most significant change is that all the official Twitter apps now sync the status of direct messages, meaning that DM's will not show up as 'unread' on multiple devices even after they've been read.

The Twitter app also delivers "richer search results" and a new feature to discover new accounts to follow.
What's New in Version 5.8

New to Twitter for iPhone and iPad: when you read a Direct message it will be marked as read in all of your official Twitter apps, including twitter.com, mobile.twitter.com, Twitter for Mac, Twitter for Android and TweetDeck. When you read a message on another official Twitter app, it will be marked as read on iPhone and iPad.

We've also made more improvements in this version:
o It's easier to join conversations with a new reply composer in the Tweet details view on iPhone
o Find new accounts to follow by tapping the new people button in the navigation bar
o Richer search results indicate when there are new Tweets for your query and show account results with bios and social context
o Report unwanted Tweets via the "More" button
The official Twitter for Mac client was also updated with new notifications in the @Connect timeline when tweets have been retweeted or favorited, as well as the new DM status syncing.

Twitter for iPhone and iPad is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Twitter for Mac is a free download from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter for iOS Update Brings DM Status Syncing, Improved Search

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
This app still takes AGES to load on a 4S. 5.3 supposedly "improved" launch times. :rolleyes:

darkknight14

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2011
Solid update, looks like they are only winning half the battle with DM syncing, timeline syncing would be great.

Small steps I guess... :cool:

aslam

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2009
Mac App Notifications

Hey there... question for you folks. I updated the Mac app (2.3.0) and now the notifications are back to going through Growl instead of Notification Center. Why is that? I was happier having these notifications going through Notification Center but now there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. The preferences only seem to allow for all notifications to go through growl. Am I missing an option to direct them to Notification Center?

Thanks,
A

No5tromo

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
Twitter, both the web version and especially the iOS app are a big mess. Maybe they should shut down Vine now that Instagram took over and have more programmers work on Twitter. But then again Vine was a mess on its own, Instagram crapped all over it with the release of their own video service.

ZhenyaV

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2013
New York City
Twitter, both the web version and especially the iOS app are a big mess. Maybe they should shut down Vine now that Instagram took over and have more programmers work on Twitter. But then again Vine was a mess on its own, Instagram crapped all over it with the release of their own video service.

Although instagram introduced its own video feature, I won't rush to use only instagram. Yes, instagram has 15 seconds of video, filters, bigger userbase and ability to share on twitter. But Vine is not just "videos for tweets". Vine is a stand alone app that has its own loyal users. Vine way ahead of instagram in terms of making a social-video app right. Just check Vine's "Popular Now" category. I promise you will laugh and not once. Instagram's "Explore" is just full of crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.