Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g0gie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
So yes. I was bored but I thought I would take a stab at it. First of all the date in which the PB comes out. My estimate 27 or 28th of September (next week). I reason this because of a few things:

1) according to the product cycle guide on macrumors, they are due just at about this exact time
2) Apple is having a small seminar in New york on Oct 1st to help people learn how to use their "new" powerbooks. although the specs listed are the same they could easily change, and why use the word "new" if the've been out since late January. Furthermore, by holding this seminar it will entice buyers to buy a powerbook after seeing all the neat things it can do with a note saying PB's were updated just this week
3) Good timing : 1) Paris expo will have ended and therefore not steal the thunder 2) Education promotion ends the weekend before 3) We see LOTS of discounts/ refurb listings everywhere showing a clear out of current inventory

Things I expect but dont have reasons for except what I hope for and commom sense in accordance to the market-

1) Higher resolution screens
2) faster CPU's (even if marginally, hoping for 7448 chips) , possibly more RAM and HD space
3) upgraded GPU - perhaps the mobile ati chips

now you guys can pick apart why these things wont happen!! get cracking!!!

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
g0gie said:
So yes. I was bored but I thought I would take a stab at it. First of all the date in which the PB comes out. My estimate 27 or 28th of September (next week). I reason this because of a few things:

1) according to the product cycle guide on macrumors, they are due just at about this exact time
2) Apple is having a small seminar in New york on Oct 1st to help people learn how to use their "new" powerbooks. although the specs listed are the same they could easily change, and why use the word "new" if the've been out since late January. Furthermore, by holding this seminar it will entice buyers to buy a powerbook after seeing all the neat things it can do with a note saying PB's were updated just this week
3) Good timing : 1) Paris expo will have ended and therefore not steal the thunder 2) Education promotion ends the weekend before 3) We see LOTS of discounts/ refurb listings everywhere showing a clear out of current inventory

Things I expect but dont have reasons for except what I hope for and commom sense in accordance to the market-

1) Higher resolution screens
2) faster CPU's (even if marginally, hoping for 7448 chips) , possibly more RAM and HD space
3) upgraded GPU - perhaps the mobile ati chips

now you guys can pick apart why these things wont happen!! get cracking!!!

Higher resolution screens would be awesome - like the Dell Inspiron 700m.

Better graphics chips would be sweet as well, minimizing power consumption. Come on, CPU speed increase and resolution increase! *fingers crossed* - perhaps something to set the 17"/upgraded 15" apart from the 12" and lower 15" powerbooks?

g0gie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
If IM right about the update dates, I will consider myself a genious as should you all!!!

KittenKrusher

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
God I hope your right, lol.

I could careless about speedbumps and such, I would just like to have a better LCD.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I do hope they update them soon. Given the state of my PowerBook (Badly burning my leg, warped around the power jack to the point of not always being able to charge) I'm thinking I'll be able to talk them into replacing it. And as it's BTO, I doubt they'll do it with a refurb. High-Res LCD, lower-power processor... here's to hoping.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
Hmmm thats an interesting prediction. Let's hope it comes true. I would love to see one last PB update before they go Intel. Good work.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
A good and logical prediction.

I'd really love to see:
- X-brite style screens.
- better battery life (lower power consuming processor)
- 100GB HD standard
- 1 GB RAM standard
- 128 VRAM standard
- DL Superdrive
- AND black anodized aluminium casing option

All for the same price.
:p

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Now wouldn't THAT be great! I don't think that would happen, unless they REALLY wanted to achieve HIGH sales but making a small profit margin. All those specs would come at a high price for Apple and would be very hard NOT to pass on to the consumer.

If this came true, I would sell my current laptop and get one.

max_altitude said:

I'd really love to see:
- X-brite style screens.
- 100GB HD standard
- 1 GB RAM standard
- 128 VRAM standard
- DL Superdrive

All for the same price.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
max_altitude said:

I'd really love to see:
- X-brite style screens.
- 100GB HD standard
- 1 GB RAM standard
- 128 VRAM standard
- DL Superdrive

All for the same price.

noooooooooooo X-brite screen for the love of satan noooooo i know a friend that has that style screen on his dell laptop and i HATE HATE HATE HATE it, it makes my eyes hurt and gives me more of a headache than i normally have. Everything else besides that and the black color is ok in my book.

elevenpower

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2005
What about Intel PB predictions?

I didn't want to make an entirely new post about my question. But I was wondering what were the predictions for the Intel Powerbooks? Do you guys think that Apple will have more models to choose from? Like other laptop manufacturers? Or do you think they will just revamp the current lineup with Intel chips?

g0gie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
for those of you that like the xbrite screens, what you CAN do is get an Avery screen protector/cover for your powerbook. IT does add gloss and thus adds glare, but the picture quality looks absolutly wonderful. Its amazing what a simple piece of plastic can do for your powerbook/ibook. I have one on my pb now and really, it makes the XGA screen look like its high def, derno why it does , but it does

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
max_altitude said:

I'd really love to see:
SNIP
- 100GB HD standard
- 1 GB RAM standard
- 128 VRAM standard
- DL Superdrive
SNIP

All for the same price.

Yeah, looks good.

I doubt the standard 1 G ram, but the rest looks right. A price drop would be good given in 12 months we should have PBs Intel with like double the battery life (?) and all round better design (HD screens).

cocozz

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2005
Just a greater (lighter) screen (like 15"/17") and lower power consuming will be great.

mddharma

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
Hagerstown, Md
eva01 said:
noooooooooooo X-brite screen for the love of satan noooooo i know a friend that has that style screen on his dell laptop and i HATE HATE HATE HATE it, it makes my eyes hurt and gives me more of a headache than i normally have. Everything else besides that and the black color is ok in my book.

I too have to agree on the X-brite screen. The glare problems in most environments are terrible. I would like to see 128 vram in the 12", faster hard drive, and the new processors for more power and more battery life. Here's hoping! :)

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2004
Man, those 12" powerbooks get hot enough already. I can only imagine how much more heat there would be with 128mb video memory.

MacPassion

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2005
OZ
kmarketing said:
Man, those 12" powerbooks get hot enough already. I can only imagine how much more heat there would be with 128mb video memory.

do they really? do you feel it on the keyboard/trackpad area?i was thinking about getting one myself. i hate spending all the money for a 15" that does not have a great screen to be honest...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
You should see those xbrite screens down here, you get reflections off them at night.....

They're just horrible to look at, brighter and clearer yes, but only in the parts of the screen where absolutely no light is falling.

I'd like to see them beef up the brightness of the displays so I can actually use this thing outside.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
you know id say your right about the when of the updates will happen you have quite a set of reasonable ideas there.

yet I have lost faith in apple making any significant updates to the powerbook lineup untill they reveal the intel books back when I first got interested in apple I wanted a powerbook (one of those people expecting g5 powerbooks every wensday) that was like a year ago and Ive finally quit the powerbook line and gone with an ibook bought it september 24th gotta love that free ipod mini. Its a collectors item now ;)

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
max_altitude said:

I'd really love to see:
- X-brite style screens.
- 100GB HD standard
- 1 GB RAM standard
- 128 VRAM standard
- DL Superdrive

All for the same price.

gig of ram... when hell freazes over remember how long it took them to get past 256

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.