Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
I replaced the hard drive to see if maybe the main was causing issues with the system and also with the external....

Nope.. Same issue.. It goes to the white screen after the first apple and spinning wheel... And even though it's at the white screen, the fans are still blowing high cause of the hard drive swap....

So maybe it is the GPU.....

But my question is: Would I still have images on my screen (ie: first apple with spinning wheel, the hardware test, the internet recovery, etc.) if it was the GPU that was the culprit?

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I replaced the hard drive to see if maybe the main was causing issues with the system and also with the external....

Nope.. Same issue.. It goes to the white screen after the first apple and spinning wheel... And even though it's at the white screen, the fans are still blowing high cause of the hard drive swap....

So maybe it is the GPU.....

But my question is: Would I still have images on my screen (ie: first apple with spinning wheel, the hardware test, the internet recovery, etc.) if it was the GPU that was the culprit?

Hi Dopeyman,

Not sure what could be causing this issue, in all honesty. I know you don't have AppleCare, but if you pop down to a local Apple Store they'll be able to have a look at the machine and diagnose the issue for free.

This way you'll know exactly what's wrong and what replacement hardware part to order. Furthermore, Apple will give you a repair quotation so you can see if it's cheaper to source the part yourself or to let them do it.

Sorry I can't be of any assistance in what exactly is wrong, but seeing as you've already replaced the HDD without much luck, getting an Apple store to diagnose it might be quicker/cheaper than listening to my speculation about what could be causing the problem :D

Really hope you get it fixed and that there's nothing hugely wrong with it. Best of luck. :)

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
Hi Dopeyman,

Not sure what could be causing this issue, in all honesty. I know you don't have AppleCare, but if you pop down to a local Apple Store they'll be able to have a look at the machine and diagnose the issue for free.

This way you'll know exactly what's wrong and what replacement hardware part to order. Furthermore, Apple will give you a repair quotation so you can see if it's cheaper to source the part yourself or to let them do it.

Sorry I can't be of any assistance in what exactly is wrong, but seeing as you've already replaced the HDD without much luck, getting an Apple store to diagnose it might be quicker/cheaper than listening to my speculation about what could be causing the problem :D

Really hope you get it fixed and that there's nothing hugely wrong with it. Best of luck. :)

I think you just said the magic word!!!

Are you serious?? They'll diagnose my machine for free??

UPDATE: I've had the machine off for the past 3 hrs since switching drives (the new one is still in there) so I decided to turn it on and it booted up.. From my external cause the new one is blank... Lets see how long it lasts...

Boy oh boy, this is some strange ****!!!

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
Also, I can't find the guy that I purchased this iMac from... How can I find out when it was purchased? Maybe I can still get applecare?

You can find out when your iMac was built at this site. Just put in your serial number. Since your repairs and technical support has expired with Apple, Apple Care can no longer be purchased.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
try a PRAM reset with the new drive, could be something with the sata controller, but again with external drive issues, sounds like something on the board got messed up.

Perhaps try an SMC reset again.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I think you just said the magic word!!!

Are you serious?? They'll diagnose my machine for free??

UPDATE: I've had the machine off for the past 3 hrs since switching drives (the new one is still in there) so I decided to turn it on and it booted up.. From my external cause the new one is blank... Lets see how long it lasts...

Boy oh boy, this is some strange ****!!!

Yep, that's right. They'll assess the machine free of charge and issue you a repair quote. If you choose not to pay for the repair, you get the machine back unrepaired. Apple customer service really is amazing! :D :apple:

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
Update - Took the iMac to the apple store @ The Grove.... Jerry (very helpful guy!! A++++) tried everything he can to get it to boot. He then took it to the back to run more tests. Although everything came out ok, he still had the feeling it was the graphics card.....

So that's where it stands...

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
UPDATE - I opened 'er up and removed the gpu.. I did one of those DIY repair options from youtube...

But as I'm putting it back, am I missing a connection? The one to the right of BLC_ACDC... I can't find a plug for it...

Also, in the other pic, I connected the power and only noticed one of those 4 lights on... Are all 4 supposed to turn on?

Again, this is a mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4/i7....

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 479
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 383

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
I have a question: If I were to get one of those TB adapters, like TB toHDMI, does my graphics card need to be functional or will it bypass it when it's displayed on an external monitor?

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I have a question: If I were to get one of those TB adapters, like TB toHDMI, does my graphics card need to be functional or will it bypass it when it's displayed on an external monitor?

Your graphics card has to be functional - how do you think the graphics get from your machine to your external monitor? The adapter essentially only changes one plug type to another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.