Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
I am by MeadowBrook elementary, but looks like I just switched back to 4g so.

I think it really has to do with the network congestion. I live near Parkway Elementary and I never see LTE in my house. The only time I saw LTE was during the snow storm last week, and the week after Sandy where people lost power and couldn't charge their phones.

East Meadow is the cutoff and my house seems to be in a void on the coverage map.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 8.46.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 8.46.22 PM.png
    59 KB · Views: 69

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Yea I was always in the cut off. Only when they first were testing in Nassau was I able to pick up even one bar. Now I have 4.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Yea I was always in the cut off. Only when they first were testing in Nassau was I able to pick up even one bar. Now I have 4.

Scratch that. I am now seeing 5 bars LTE in Levittown by Best Buy and BJs.

I have never seen that before. Definitely an improvement in coverage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

MikeTHIS

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
I am in Western Suffolk at the moment (Wyandanch) and just got LTE. Eastern Nassau was terrible on 3G yesterday. Now I know why.

Edit: Speed test added

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

jac2598

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Starting yesterday I was able to get LTE west of Route 111. They're definitely rolling it out further. Before yesterday, I was only getting LTE west of the meadowbrook.

l.i. bruce fan

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
Wondering if anyone else's iPhone 5 switches back and forth from LTE to 4G?

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this:

I know when you make a call the iPhone 5 switches from LTE to 4G b/c at this time there is no voice calling over LTE.

However, for the last 2 weeks or so it doesn't switch back to LTE right away after the call, it sometimes switches back to LTE after being "off" (screen off but in standy), otherwise if I go to "Enable LTE" in Settings and toggle off then back on, LTE will come back.

Called AT&T, they are clueless, suggested that I go into a corporate store to swap SIM cards.

From what I see on other forums, this is happening in other AT&T markets and most of the time SIM swaps do not resolve the problem (neither does swapping hardware).

Funny thing is, I don't remember seeing this occur before AT&T turned on LTE in Eastern Nassau - my office is in Garden City and we've had LTE there for months and only recently am I noticing this.

I don't want to waste time and effort with a SIM swap or swapping my iPhone at the Apple Store, but since this is coinciding with a tremendous dip in battery life over the past couple of weeks (and I'm wondering if this constant switching back and forth between LTE, 4G and ocassionally Edge might have something to do with that), I may have to, just don't want to run around trying everything and anything.

thanks in advance!

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Wondering if anyone else is seeing this:

I know when you make a call the iPhone 5 switches from LTE to 4G b/c at this time there is no voice calling over LTE.

However, for the last 2 weeks or so it doesn't switch back to LTE right away after the call, it sometimes switches back to LTE after being "off" (screen off but in standy), otherwise if I go to "Enable LTE" in Settings and toggle off then back on, LTE will come back.

Called AT&T, they are clueless, suggested that I go into a corporate store to swap SIM cards.

From what I see on other forums, this is happening in other AT&T markets and most of the time SIM swaps do not resolve the problem (neither does swapping hardware).

Funny thing is, I don't remember seeing this occur before AT&T turned on LTE in Eastern Nassau - my office is in Garden City and we've had LTE there for months and only recently am I noticing this.

I don't want to waste time and effort with a SIM swap or swapping my iPhone at the Apple Store, but since this is coinciding with a tremendous dip in battery life over the past couple of weeks (and I'm wondering if this constant switching back and forth between LTE, 4G and ocassionally Edge might have something to do with that), I may have to, just don't want to run around trying everything and anything.

thanks in advance!
It also happens to me and I live in another country (yes mexico has lte lol) I think this happens because the coverage seems to be strong (signal says so) but in reality theres probably one or two anntenas nearby very weak signals

I've noticed it goes back to LTE after a call when there is a really really really good antenna coverage like downtown not the suburbs (I've used a jailbreak tweak called signal 2 to check on LTE antenna avaliability)...or

apple really has to improve the antenna switching to be faster

l.i. bruce fan

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
Anybody notice AT&T cell signal fluctuating tremendously in Nassau/Suffolk over the past week or so?

This past weekend, I had "No Service" and 1-2 bars of LTE, 4G and even Edge in Massapequa Park (I ignored the same thing happening on Fire Island as I assumed it was an outlying area and may still have loss of service after Hurrican/Superstorm Sandy).

But I have also seen Edge pop up at work (Garden City/Uniondale) and home (Plainview) in addition to LTE signal increasing tremendously, from 2 bars to 4-5, just to drop back to 2 later in the day.

Anybody else?

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
No LTE in Great Neck LI. What's strange is, Jersey City where I work used to be a major dead zone. Just terrible as far as internet, dropping calls, etc. Now in Jersey City where I work, I usually get 3 bars and CONSTANT LTE. But at home in Great Neck, I don't have LTE. Which doesn't matter since I have wifi. But I'd love to see LTE in all of Long Island including where I live.

l.i. bruce fan

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
I just spent nearly an hour on an online chat with AT&T tech support, what a waste of time!

On top of not being able to diagnose not even solve my constantly fluctuating reception, the 2 different reps I chatted with contradicted each other concerning the status of the cell towers in my location.

What a joke!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.