Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleseeds

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2012
Well if you look at the current administration.
It is easy to understand the stupidly of the the American people.

FYI I have my quote notification turned off.
So don't bother trying to push your leftist blatherings on me by quoting. I won't see it nor do I care what you have to say.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
So how many people here believe, contrary to mountains of evidence, that cloud computing is _not_ affected by bad weather?

I think this is the alarming statistic:

"About 29 percent of the 1,006 people polled thought cloud computing had to do with an actual cloud, the sky or something related to weather."

:eek:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I think this is the alarming statistic:

"About 29 percent of the 1,006 people polled thought cloud computing had to do with an actual cloud, the sky or something related to weather."

:eek:

If you need lots of processing power for weather prediction, cloud computing is a good way to do cloud predictions.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Well, bad weather can knock out power to your house, knock out your internet, knock on something on your ISP's side, or knock out something the the company hosting the "cloud" needs, so bad whether certainly can affect cloud computing. Dependingn on how the question was asked, people may have been thinking along those lines sometimes. And that really underscores one of the issues with having everything in the cloud: there are more points of failure when it comes to accessing that data.

I think it is as simple as people see nice soft white puffy clouds being good computing, versus dark, gray, threatening clouds = bad day on net.

Yes, their is the fact dark clouds might, just might cause network interruptions, but ever see some of the Jay Walking and Jimmy Kimmel roving interviews?

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
You know, before we act all smug about this, on how the general public may be confused about "cloud" computing, Intel/Pentium chips, megabytes, internet, etc, there are probably similar threads like it on other boards about law, medicine, cars, airplanes, biology, history, drum making in Tanzania, etc. where posters make fun of us for being "stupid".

Just sayin.....

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
You know, before we act all smug about this, on how the general public may be confused about "cloud" computing, Intel/Pentium chips, megabytes, internet, etc, there are probably similar threads like it on other boards about law, medicine, cars, airplanes, biology, history, drum making in Tanzania, etc. where posters make fun of us for being "stupid".

Just sayin.....

Yuppers..

I love my Jeep and like my various Jeep hang outs, but if you can calculate driveline angles in your head and make just about every part in your home shop well you're just not really a Jeep guy "built not bought"

We all have our strengths and weaknesses..

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
But, couldn't it?

In the UK we're having a bit of a heatwave, it must be putting some strain on either the router or the phoneline, because my connection has dropped through the floor. Equally when we get heavy rain my connection drops (this is no matter the time of the day and has happened with different equipment and houses!). But out of the two it's the hot weather that harms my network.

There must be some effect, but not in the way the article means.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.