Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DblEGT

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
I know the new MBAs are excellent laptops with awesome battery life. Are there any tips (large or small) YOU'VE discovered which will help extend battery life even further?

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Back out of applications you are not using. Minimize browser tabs. Use Safari instead of Chrome

DblEGT

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Screen brightness. I keep mine at around 9-10 ticks.

So far, I've done the following:

1. 50% screen brightness
2. Slightly dimmed keyboard backlighting
3. Use Safari over other (non-Apple) browsers whenever possible.

Will investigate using the "clicktoflash" feature in Safari to minimize Flash usage.

Any others I am missing??

tehsprayer

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
I heard instead of Flash, use HTML5.. There is a plugin for Youtube on Safari app store.

Make sure to 'quit' your apps as closing does not fully exit them.

ylrd

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
Europe
These are my best tips so far:

1. Disable Bluetooth (unless you're using wireless devices)
  2. Disable file sharing (unless you need it)
  3. Use Safari with the ClickToPlugin extension
  4. cmd+Q the apps you're not currently using
  5. Keep your login items in a low number
  6. 50% screen brightness or less (unless you're outdoors)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

johnjey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
Any new ideas fellas? We all know about the screen brightness, keyboard brightness, html5 videos, no dropbox (or very less), quitting apps that you are not using (hahaha right) and what else ?

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Leaving it plugged in all the time is a quick way to kill a battery.

I don't think that's the case with lithium ion batteries. IIRC the main contributor to battery life is charging cycles. By leaving it plugged in you reduce the number of charge cycles. So in theory, by leaving it plugged in you extend battery life.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't think that's the case with lithium ion batteries. IIRC the main contributor to battery life is charging cycles. By leaving it plugged in you reduce the number of charge cycles. So in theory, by leaving it plugged in you extend battery life.

That's not true at all. Read the Battery FAQ in post #9 to learn the facts.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Remove mountain lion and install snow leopard. Everything is faster and uses less CPU cycles, ram, and hard drive swapping. Battery life is significantly improved, even in sleep mode.

et477

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2014
Remove mountain lion and install snow leopard. Everything is faster and uses less CPU cycles, ram, and hard drive swapping. Battery life is significantly improved, even in sleep mode.

honestly, even if i don't know a lot about macs, on thing do know is that:
downgrading your software is ABSOLUETLY the DUMBEST thing that anyone can do.

Papa Shank

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2005

No, I used to do this and you will basically run the battery down into the ground as it is essentially charged for x number of cycles despite being 100% charged. By leaving your laptop plugged in you'll run it down and probably make it void of warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.