Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Shortly after Apple seeded iOS 7 Beta 3 to developers earlier today, user Hamza Sood (via 9to5Mac) discovered toggles in the beta's "Accessory Developer" settings that allow for iOS 7's "iOS in the Car" initiative to work over Wi-Fi in addition to USB.

ios_7_car_airplay.jpg
iOS in the Car is an initiative Apple revealed at its Worldwide Developers Conference keynote that provides enhanced iOS integration in automobiles, displaying iOS on in-car monitors to make calls, get messages, look at maps and more.

While it was largely assumed that iOS in the Car would work over a wired USB-to-30-pin or USB-to-Lightning connection, it now appears that iOS in the Car may be available at great convenience with users not having to take their devices out of their pockets or bags to instantly connect to their automobiles, which would have to be outfitted with AirPlay or Wi-Fi to take advantage of the feature.

Major car manufacturers that plan to support iOS in the Car include Honda, Acura, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Infiniti, Ferrari, Chevrolet, Hyundai, Kia, Volvo, Opel and Jaguar. The feature is expected to roll out in 2014 following the launch of iOS 7 this fall.

Article Link: Hidden iOS 7 Settings Reveal 'iOS in the Car' Could Work Over AirPlay

Steve J0bs

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
I wonder if there will ever be a way to install a new head unit that would be capable of iOS in the Car? If not, i guess it would be a cool DIY.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Why is't BMW in that list?
They were one of the first with ipod/iphone support?

I heard they are still on board, but ran into some finalization issues with iOS in the Car. Sounds like its coming but probably delayed compared to the others on the list.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Why is suddenly any connection over wifi called "airplay" - Apple are not referring to it as Airplay so why is Mac Rumors? Presumably iOS in the car is not just the output of the iPhone onto an external monitor. I presuming you can use the monitor and the radio to do other things too, otherwise what would be the point of it?

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Why is't BMW in that list?
They were one of the first with ipod/iphone support?

Agreed. Looking at a 435i, but I'd really like to have future proof tech in the care before dropping that kind of money. BMW Apps is terrible so they could use Apple's help.

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
Why is suddenly any connection over wifi called "airplay" - Apple are not referring to it as Airplay so why is Mac Rumors? Presumably iOS in the car is not just the output of the iPhone onto an external monitor. I presuming you can use the monitor and the radio to do other things too, otherwise what would be the point of it?

They're referring to the fact that perhaps the audio or video link to the dashboard would work via AirPlay, as opposed to USB. The wi-fi part is inferred.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
This signals to me that Apple has two strategies on markets:
1) If it cannot walk in and flip an industry on its head (like music and mobile) it will develop strategic partnerships. This seems to be the case with AppleTV, social network integration, and now automotives. Bad for us in that it helps supplement the status quo rather than disrupt, but good because Apple will assuredly be more universally accepted by 3rd parties than Android.
2) If it can make an immediate impact it will hold out on technologies until an industry is flat-footed. I hope this will be the case with wearables (iWatch), gaming on AppleTV, and mobile payments (Passbook).

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Surely there is a better name than 'iOS in the car'. It's so long winded!

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I am REALLY looking forward to this.

----------

Yeah...and what about Lexus/Toyota?
My next car might not be a Lexus unless they step it up!!!

Toyota (and therefore presumably Lexus) was originally on the list presented at WWDC if I remember correctly. Not sure why it's not on MacRumor's list.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I wonder if there will ever be a way to install a new head unit that would be capable of iOS in the Car? If not, i guess it would be a cool DIY.

why wouldn't there be? companies like Pioneer and Kenwood have been offering MFI head units for years. their latest offerings support Eyes Free, and I'm certain they'll license and support whatever the latest and greatest is.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Where the hell is Ford & Lincoln?

Ford might have been an early-mover with its Microsoft based Sync, but the world has moved-on and the market has spoken, and MS, Windows Phone, and Sync are not it.

Ford, you have been slammed in customer reviews and surveys for the lousy performance if Sync, such that you have had to start adding knobs back into your best seller vehicles.

Time to realize you are the maker of fine cars and bury your connectivity wet dream and move to iOS before your competitors steal a march on you. (Or did MS tie you up and tie you down?)

One clear way to demonstrate to the market that you get it is to move off platform to a new one.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Mercedes! Amen! Great to see a wide range of automakers jumping on board with this. I'm pumped to see how it works. The only thing that kills it for me is if you use your iPhone as your GPS while utilizing iOS In The Car - you may just need to bump up your data plan.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Finally. I'm waiting to see cars with Airplay, not this Bluetooth BS that never works right. Honda's USB slot for iPod/iPhone also seems to have glitches and doesn't work too well. It once sent an infinite-ish number of skip-song commands to my iPhone at once, forcing me to reboot it.

----------

Where the hell is Ford & Lincoln?

Ford might have been an early-mover with its Microsoft based Sync, but the world has moved-on and the market has spoken, and MS, Windows Phone, and Sync are not it.

Ford, you have been slammed in customer reviews and surveys for the lousy performance if Sync, such that you have had to start adding knobs back into your best seller vehicles.

Time to realize you are the maker of fine cars and bury your connectivity wet dream and move to iOS before your competitors steal a march on you. (Or did MS tie you up and tie you down?)

One clear way to demonstrate to the market that you get it is to move off platform to a new one.

Poor Ford. They're making awful mistakes. Also, they ripped off the Aston Martin design and started producing ridiculous ads about how "this housewife got a Ford Flex, and her friend with a BMW X5 is jealous."

Come on, I used to respect Ford.
images

----------

I wonder if you'll be able to drive via touchscreen from the back seat of your 7-Series BMW?

Are you making a reference to Tomorrow Never Dies?

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
I am REALLY looking forward to this.

----------

Toyota (and therefore presumably Lexus) was originally on the list presented at WWDC if I remember correctly. Not sure why it's not on MacRumor's list.

Toyota wasn't. I was looking for it specifically because that's what I always buy. Switching to Nissan now if Toyota doesn't get with the program :p

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
why wouldn't there be? companies like Pioneer and Kenwood have been offering MFI head units for years. their latest offerings support Eyes Free, and I'm certain they'll license and support whatever the latest and greatest is.

This. If apple lets them. Let us remember the whole lightning cable licensing run around.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
Anything to replace the Uvo system in my car. I bought a 2014 Kia Forte a couple of months ago, and it comes with Microsoft's Uvo crap. It's slow, buggy, and I don't ever bother with it. It's less of a pain to stream my music over Bluetooth than it is to plug in a USB cable, wait 5 minutes for Uvo to "read" my music library, and start playing a song.

Plus it takes forever to skip between songs, and any time you turn on a feature like shuffle or repeat, all the buttons grey themselves out for several minutes until it's re-processed your choice.

Since I probably won't buy another car for 10 years, I'm going to miss out on iOS in the car :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.