Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b13o0r12e3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
London, United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a huge dilemma, and would be seriously grateful if anyone on here could help solve this problem! But first, here's the story.

1 | I backed up my iPhone using iCloud. No problem there.
2 | Next (out of curiousity), I (illegitimately) installed iOS 7 beta 2 on my iPhone without UDID. (After all, with its first redesign in donkeys years, the temptation was too much!) The update went smoothly with no problems, and I had it for a few hours.
3 | Whilst iOS 7 is light years ahead of iOS 6, and I was already intending to downgrade, I realised that Skype was totally kaputt, and hit the restore button on iTunes to get back to 6.1.4, and that went well with no problems.

Now, the problem is that my iCloud backup is not compatible with iOS 6. :(

Before people here gloat 'dude, you should've been a developer' (in which case I say 'I'm sorry' and 'you're welcome'), here's two questions to ask:
Q1 | Is there any way to make an iOS 7 iCloud backup compatible with iOS 6.1.4?
more importantly:
Q2 | I used Elcomsoft Phone Password Breaker to retrieve my iCloud backup. Can I convert this into a backup that I can restore using iTunes?

I really don't want to resort to starting afresh, there is too much personal stuff I have on there to lose.

Thank you!

Last edited:

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
Nope, can't do it.

I made a local backup in iTunes of 6.1.4 that I can fall back on if I don't want to be on iOS 7 anymore.

Sorry dude :(

b13o0r12e3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
London, United Kingdom
just iCloud backup, not iTunes

You don't have an iOS 6.1.4 backup in iTunes? Even if it's a prior version of 7?

I used iCloud to backup my iPhone, the file was going on for 1.7GB, which (bad as it sounds) I couldn't afford to keep on my Mac.

Just for reference, the last iCloud backup was this morning, effectively overwriting my iOS 6.1.4 backup.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
I used iCloud to backup my iPhone, the file was going on for 1.7GB, which (bad as it sounds) I couldn't afford to keep on my Mac.

Just for reference, the last iCloud backup was this morning, effectively overwriting my iOS 6.1.4 backup.

This is why I use multiple backup systems and backup frequently. I'd go nuts if I couldn't get personal stuff back. Why don't you just go back to iOS 7 beta 2? Sacrifice Skype. I sacrificed MLB at Bat for it.

cottonkidd

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
This is why I use multiple backup systems and backup frequently. I'd go nuts if I couldn't get personal stuff back. Why don't you just go back to iOS 7 beta 2? Sacrifice Skype. I sacrificed MLB at Bat for it.

The problem with going back to ios 7 beta is it will not let you restore from back up without being a developer that i can find. i want to go back to the beta and my backups are locked with the beta but when i restore it while using the beta it locks me out and have to go inti dfu mode to get my phone back

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
The problem with going back to ios 7 beta is it will not let you restore from back up without being a developer that i can find. i want to go back to the beta and my backups are locked with the beta but when i restore it while using the beta it locks me out and have to go inti dfu mode to get my phone back

I think you're confusing restoring the phone's OS with restoring from a backup. Restoring the phone's OS software will not be possible unless your UDID is registered, but restore backup allows you to manually pick a backup that you have created in the past and it just restores all the backed up information back onto your phone. It does not matter if your UDID is registered or not because it has nothing to do with the OS itself, except the incompatibility between OS versions.

-----------------------

@OP, you have absolutely no local backups from 6.1.4? If that's so, then yeah I think you have to go back to the beta or go without a backup.

cottonkidd

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
I think you're confusing restoring the phone's OS with restoring from a backup. Restoring the phone's OS software will not be possible unless your UDID is registered, but restore backup allows you to manually pick a backup that you have created in the past and it just restores all the backed up information back onto your phone. It does not matter if your UDID is registered or not because it has nothing to do with the OS itself, except the incompatibility between OS versions.

-----------------------

@OP, you have absolutely no local backups from 6.1.4? If that's so, then yeah I think you have to go back to the beta or go without a backup.

My problem is that my most recent backup that I absolutely need is on my phone and I can't use that backup unless I erase all content and settings on my phone and restore from backup that way..... That backup is locked with iOS 7, if I have the beta and erase all content and settings it bricks my phone and I have to start all over. I have one backup on my computer from march that got most of my stuff back but I really want the backup off my phone!!! I'm about to call apple and give them some BS story and see if they will be kind enough to help me!!!

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
My problem is that my most recent backup that I absolutely need is on my phone and I can't use that backup unless I erase all content and settings on my phone and restore from backup that way..... That backup is locked with iOS 7, if I have the beta and erase all content and settings it bricks my phone and I have to start all over. I have one backup on my computer from march that got most of my stuff back but I really want the backup off my phone!!! I'm about to call apple and give them some BS story and see if they will be kind enough to help me!!!

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. You're saying the backup that you want is already on your phone, then why are you trying to get it on your phone? I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to do, so if you could explain it more clearly then I could offer some suggestions. However, from what I can understand so far, you basically want whatever is on your phone to become a backup file that you can use to restore? That can be done by connecting your phone to itunes and click the back up now button, which will create a backup using whatever settings/documents you have on your phone. Then depending on what you want to do with the back up, there are several options. If you want to use your backup with ios 6, that's not possible unless you have a previous backup that was made on ios 6. And if you want it on ios 7, then all you have to do is reinstall/update to whichever beta you want, and then click restore from backup, which will restore all your contents and settings then reboot your phone.

If I haven't covered what you're looking for, then please explain exactly what you want - which OS you're on, which OS you want the backup from, and which OS you want to restore to.

cottonkidd

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. You're saying the backup that you want is already on your phone, then why are you trying to get it on your phone? I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to do, so if you could explain it more clearly then I could offer some suggestions. However, from what I can understand so far, you basically want whatever is on your phone to become a backup file that you can use to restore? That can be done by connecting your phone to itunes and click the back up now button, which will create a backup using whatever settings/documents you have on your phone. Then depending on what you want to do with the back up, there are several options. If you want to use your backup with ios 6, that's not possible unless you have a previous backup that was made on ios 6. And if you want it on ios 7, then all you have to do is reinstall/update to whichever beta you want, and then click restore from backup, which will restore all your contents and settings then reboot your phone.

If I haven't covered what you're looking for, then please explain exactly what you want - which OS you're on, which OS you want the backup from, and which OS you want to restore to.

You are pretty much correct. But ill start over.

I had 6.1.4 and I updated to the iOS 7 beta 2
I did not back my phone up on my computer with 6.1.4
After I had the beta my phone backed it self up with iOS 7 on iCloud.
I restored my phone back to 6.1.4 and I can't restore from backup because my latest backup is locked to iOS 7
I can not access this backup on my computer. It only shows up on my phone when I "erase all content and settings" but when I do that with iOS 7 it locks my phone because I'm not a developer.

Here's a question, if I pay the 5-10 dollars to register my UDID can I legitimately have access to iOS 7? Then I know I can restore it back to iOS 7 and access that back up i have and it won't lock up. I'm desperate and I'm about to just pay $100 to get my stuff back

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
You are pretty much correct. But ill start over.

I had 6.1.4 and I updated to the iOS 7 beta 2
I did not back my phone up on my computer with 6.1.4
After I had the beta my phone backed it self up with iOS 7 on iCloud.
I restored my phone back to 6.1.4 and I can't restore from backup because my latest backup is locked to iOS 7
I can not access this backup on my computer. It only shows up on my phone when I "erase all content and settings" but when I do that with iOS 7 it locks my phone because I'm not a developer.

Here's a question, if I pay the 5-10 dollars to register my UDID can I legitimately have access to iOS 7? Then I know I can restore it back to iOS 7 and access that back up i have and it won't lock up. I'm desperate and I'm about to just pay $100 to get my stuff back

Well, if you want to use ios 7 with the ios 7 back up, that should be very straight forward. I don't think we're allowed to talk about buying UDID registrations on this forum but as long as you can update to ios 7 again like you originally did, then you can restore from your icloud. I wouldn't recommend paying 100 dollars though, it's a bit much. If you can update to ios 7 again then your backup will be there. If you don't know/remember how, you can google it, there are many guides on this. There should be no restoring to factory or resetting in the process. All you have to do is update the phone to ios 7, then when it asks if you would like to set up as new phone or restore from backup, choose the backup from icloud, be sure you're connected to wifi, then enter your Apple ID and pass, and everything should be restored.

----------------

I suggest doing things right. Grab a developer's account! :)

That's easy to suggest when you're not the one having to pay $99 for getting a backup back :p. I agree it wasn't the smartest move on his part, but a mistake is hardly worth that much.

cottonkidd

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
Well, if you want to use ios 7 with the ios 7 back up, that should be very straight forward. I don't think we're allowed to talk about buying UDID registrations on this forum but as long as you can update to ios 7 again like you originally did, then you can restore from your icloud. I wouldn't recommend paying 100 dollars though, it's a bit much. If you can update to ios 7 again then your backup will be there. If you don't know/remember how, you can google it, there are many guides on this. There should be no restoring to factory or resetting in the process. All you have to do is update the phone to ios 7, then when it asks if you would like to set up as new phone or restore from backup, choose the backup from icloud, be sure you're connected to wifi, then enter your Apple ID and pass, and everything should be restored.

----------------

That's easy to suggest when you're not the one having to pay $99 for getting a backup back :p. I agree it wasn't the smartest move on his part, but a mistake is hardly worth that much.

Yes it is very easy to say! Just shoot me ur card info and ill use it to pick up a developer account.

That's my original question. I can't figure out how to get my backup from iOS 7. It does not ask me to set up as a new phone or restore from back up because its an update and not a restore. I have to set it up as a new phone or restore it while in iOS 6 before I can update it to iOS 7. So when iOS 7 is installed there is no where to restore from back up nor is there anywhere to set up as a new phone.

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
Ohh I see. Okay try this: if right now you're on 6, restore your phone to factory settings, then when the screen shows up for you to set up and activate and restore and all that, don't do anything, and just use iTunes to update to ios 7 immediately, then it should ask you again to setup your phone etc etc.

If you're on ios 7 right now, put your phone into dfu and restore back to 6 and then follow the instructions above ^. I'm pretty sure that works because I remember being very annoyed at having to set up my phone again everytime I did that. Let me know if it works.

cottonkidd

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
Ohh I see. Okay try this: if right now you're on 6, restore your phone to factory settings, then when the screen shows up for you to set up and activate and restore and all that, don't do anything, and just use iTunes to update to ios 7 immediately, then it should ask you again to setup your phone etc etc.

If you're on ios 7 right now, put your phone into dfu and restore back to 6 and then follow the instructions above ^. I'm pretty sure that works because I remember being very annoyed at having to set up my phone again everytime I did that. Let me know if it works.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I just paid $8 to register the thing we are not supposed to talk about and I loaded iOS 7 on and reset all contents and settings then restored from back up and BAM! It's worked! Thanks for all of the help and info but that seemed to be the easiest thing to do

----------

But I did try what you said about 10 times last night. The new iTunes requires you to activate your phone with an Apple ID and makes you set it up so there for iOS 7 is an update no matter what. They are closing our "back doors" to fixing everything now.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

If you don't want to lose your information completely, you should put iOS 7 b2 back on your phone, restore from iCloud, and make an iTunes backup, then move or copy those files to a secure location. There is no guarantee that iCloud backup will be able to be used for anything except b2.

This may have been covered in your Q2 but I'm not familiar with that software or what it does. If you used it to create a local copy of your iCloud backup, I would still follow my instructions above. :) Sorry, I'm freaky about having solid backups.

cottonkidd

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
If you don't want to lose your information completely, you should put iOS 7 b2 back on your phone, restore from iCloud, and make an iTunes backup, then move or copy those files to a secure location. There is no guarantee that iCloud backup will be able to be used for anything except b2.

This may have been covered in your Q2 but I'm not familiar with that software or what it does. If you used it to create a local copy of your iCloud backup, I would still follow my instructions above. :) Sorry, I'm freaky about having solid backups.

I just posted that exact same instruction to all my friends and Facebook friends! I now am freaky about having solid back ups!!!! Thanks guys and/or ladies

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Go back to the beta, restore from backup, backup to iTunes, use iBackupbot to extract the data you want from the iTunes backup, restore to iOS 6.1.4, make a blank backup, import the data you exported from your iOS 7 backup into the blank one for 6.1.4.

There you go. :)

cottonkidd

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
Go back to the beta, restore from backup, backup to iTunes, use iBackupbot to extract the data you want from the iTunes backup, restore to iOS 6.1.4, make a blank backup, import the data you exported from your iOS 7 backup into the blank one for 6.1.4.

There you go. :)

That's the thing people are missing here. You CAN NOT restore from back up on iOS 7 unless you are a developer or you register the UDID through a certain web site. It will go all the way to activation and fail saying your phone is not registered under the developer program. iOS 7 an update when you go from 6.1.4 to iOS 7. You have to set your phone up at either new or from a backup on iOS 6.1.4 before you update once again to the beta. I did not have a backup of 6.1.4 and my latest backup was locked in iOS 7 and would not work on iOS 6. So I paid the $8 and now my activation for iOS 7 works so I can now restore from back up through the iOS 7 beta.

----------

Hello all,

I have a huge dilemma, and would be seriously grateful if anyone on here could help solve this problem! But first, here's the story.

1 | I backed up my iPhone using iCloud. No problem there.
2 | Next (out of curiousity), I (illegitimately) installed iOS 7 beta 2 on my iPhone without UDID. (After all, with its first redesign in donkeys years, the temptation was too much!) The update went smoothly with no problems, and I had it for a few hours.
3 | Whilst iOS 7 is light years ahead of iOS 6, and I was already intending to downgrade, I realised that Skype was totally kaputt, and hit the restore button on iTunes to get back to 6.1.4, and that went well with no problems.

Now, the problem is that my iCloud backup is not compatible with iOS 6. :(

Before people here gloat 'dude, you should've been a developer' (in which case I say 'I'm sorry' and 'you're welcome'), here's two questions to ask:
Q1 | Is there any way to make an iOS 7 iCloud backup compatible with iOS 6.1.4?
more importantly:
Q2 | I used Elcomsoft Phone Password Breaker to retrieve my iCloud backup. Can I convert this into a backup that I can restore using iTunes?

I really don't want to resort to starting afresh, there is too much personal stuff I have on there to lose.

Thank you!

Did you solve your problem?

CalebH92

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2013
That's the thing people are missing here. You CAN NOT restore from back up on iOS 7 unless you are a developer or you register the UDID through a certain web site. It will go all the way to activation and fail saying your phone is not registered under the developer program. iOS 7 an update when you go from 6.1.4 to iOS 7. You have to set your phone up at either new or from a backup on iOS 6.1.4 before you update once again to the beta. I did not have a backup of 6.1.4 and my latest backup was locked in iOS 7 and would not work on iOS 6. So I paid the $8 and now my activation for iOS 7 works so I can now restore from back up through the iOS 7 beta.

----------

Did you solve your problem?

So what you're saying is that you CAN use an iOS 7 iCloud back up to restore data and other information in iOS 6?

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
So what you're saying is that you CAN use an iOS 7 iCloud back up to restore data and other information in iOS 6?

No he was saying that he couldn't even restore from backup on ios 7 with a ios 7 backup without a registered udid. I don't think I ran into that problem when I didn't have my udid registered, but maybe they changed it?

cottonkidd

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
No he was saying that he couldn't even restore from backup on ios 7 with a ios 7 backup without a registered udid. I don't think I ran into that problem when I didn't have my udid registered, but maybe they changed it?

It was only because I had a backup of iOS 7 and restored back to iOS 6.... I couldn't use it there so I loaded iOS 7 and of course it didn't ask me to restore from backup because iOS 7 is an update..... Once you have iOS 7 the only way (that I know of) to make it ask the question " would you like to restore from back up?", and it reload all games, scores, music, pictures, messages, ect is to "restore all content and settings". By doing so you must "activate" your phone through Apple. It will not do that with iOS 7 as a new phone unless you have a registered UDID. Once you have a backup of iOS 7 and not iOS 6, you can't go backwards. I'm stuck with iOS 7 until they actually release it if I would like to keep my info.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
You cannot restore a backup of a later version of iOS (in this case 7) to a device running a lower number of iOS (6 in your case). You should have made a backup (plus a desktop copy in case iTunes copies over it) of the iOS 6 running device before you experimented with the beta! It's really common sense, but it eludes users here for some reason. You can get your info back once you either a). Return to an iOS 7 beta or b). When the official public release is available. When I use betas I make a backup of the official software first in iTunes, plus another copy on the desktop, plus I turn off iCloud backups for the duration of the betas.
Ps. You can restore from backup using iTunes when using betas. It will not lock out your device if the UDID is not registered.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.