Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios7camera.png
Code hidden inside iOS 7 suggests that the next generation iPhone could include a new "Mogul" camera mode, offering video recording at a rate of 120 frames-per-second, reports 9to5Mac.
According to our analysis and testing of the code, "Mogul" is a feature in development that allows the iPhone to capture video at an exceptionally fast and precise rate. Specifically, our testing indicates that the feature can allow the iPhone to record video at a rate of 120 frames-per-second (FPS). The resolution at which this 120FPS video could be recorded at, however, is currently unclear.
Capturing video at 120FPS would allow iPhone users to create slow motion films. Slow motion video requires frames to be captured at a fast rate, which then appear to be slowed down when replayed at a standard speed.

Many action cameras, such as the GoPro Hero3, include slow motion recording capabilities. Samsung's popular flagship phone, the Galaxy S4, also includes a slow motion mode. While the code does not suggest a resolution for Apple's Mogul mode, recording at 120FPS often requires a lower resolution. The video below demonstrates 120FPS video shot with the Samsung Galaxy Camera.

While testing the mode, 9to5Mac found that Mogul would not activate on an iPhone 5 due to unsupported hardware, which suggests that it is intended for a future iPhone. Like Siri was reserved for the iPhone 4S, Mogul may be reserved for the iPhone 5S.

As the iPhone has grown in popularity as a photography device, Apple has worked hard to improve the camera, continually adding new features like Panorama mode and volume shutter control.

Many of these upgrades come alongside Apple's "S" phone releases. The iPhone 4S, for example, featured an 8-megapixel rear camera, which was a significant upgrade from the iPhone 4's 5-megapixels.

Apple is expected to make similar upgrades to the iPhone's camera with the 5S, including a 12-megapixel rear camera and improved night shooting capabilities in addition to the possible Mogul mode. iOS 7 also brings a number of camera improvements to developers, including full support for high frame-rate content and 60-frames-per second capture capabilities. Both iOS 7 and the iPhone 5S are expected to debut in the fall.

Article Link: iPhone 5S May Include Slow Motion Video Recording Feature

waylandprod

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
That's a feature that would be great for high-action stuff... but it's all about HOW it's used. First slow motion mass-produced cameras will inspire new creative ways to use the medium, I say go for it. Why not?!

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Would be an awesome feature. Explains why the iphone 5's camera is so similar to the 4S's, this way Apple can kill two birds with one stone when they release the reason it's not supported. Looking forward to jailbreaking my 5 and using it on iOS 7.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Would rather have waterproof. Like that company at CES a few years ago...had some kind of product that they dipped the iPhone in...and it was totally usable underwater.

That would be really useful.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
I love using this feature on my Note 2. :D

Shall we feed the troll? I'm feeling a bit bored this afternoon.

Ok I'll do it:

There's already apps on the App Store that can shoot in slow motion. It'll just be natively supported and therefore work much better.

Let the fun begin!

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
I like the fact that Apple keeps pushing new features into the camera, even though I don't use the iPhone's camera all that often.

I still think a good P&S camera takes better pictures, so why do I like them doing this?

Because, it is forcing P&S camera manufactures to innovate and come up with new features, such as smile detection, blink detection, built-in slow motion, pet modes, built-in panoramic stitching, built-in special effects.

Do these sound familiar? Yes, Apple has either added these or will be adding many of these features. But bottom line is the P&S cameras did it first, so if Apple adds these features, what will the camera manufactures come up with next?

This is exactly how innovation should be working, each company/industry pushing the other to move forward instead of filing lawsuits and causing companies to go bankrupt, etc.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
There are third party apps now that offer the slow motion processing, although I don't know if it'll be higher quality when run "natively".

Regardless, I hope they allow the 4s to do this ('cause my and my wife's 4s'es will be handed down to my kids and they would love the feature (they're always stealing my phone to make "action movies" with their toys, etc.), so this could be fun.

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002
Shall we feed the troll? I'm feeling a bit bored this afternoon.

Ok I'll do it:

There's already apps on the App Store that can shoot in slow motion. It'll just be natively supported and therefore work much better.

Let the fun begin!

Link? Just curious about this. Didn't know app store apps offered native 120fps video. Please don't link to the apps that blur the frames or produce the extra frames. I mean snap 120 frames per second.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I love using this feature on my Note 2. :D

I bet the big screen makes it easy to get good shots too.

Damn it, Apple, give me a bigger screen phone NOW. Enough with this one-size-to-rule-them-all crap. (Not counting the 4/4s; it isn't the "current" iPhone).

You don't do it with laptops, desktops, nor iPads. W. T. F.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.