Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Seagate purchased LaCie last year, so I wouldn't expect to see HGST drives in the future.

LaCieTech

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
We have heard reports from some of our customers that the 2Big Thunderbolt is louder than some of our other models. Of course if you had the convenience of being able to isolate sound between where the audio is being recorded, and where the audio is being mixed and edited it would be a non-issue. While the 2Big Thunder bolt does need room to breathe, consider placing the drive in a roomy cabinet with decent air flow. You may also be able to purchase a longer thunderbolt cable to distance the product from where the recording is happening. I hope this helps. ~TE

Just to throw another leg up on the pile...

The LaCie 2big is ungodly loud. The idea that this is marketed to audio professionals is criminal.

I will be turning it off when I'm recording.

I don't understand why it's so much to ask that someone makes a quiet box with a RAID card and and a TB interface so you can load it with disks, and that that costs around $200.

I just succumbed to the hype and moved to a maxed-out iMac to replace my 2008 Pro.

It is not acceptable.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
My LaCie had the 1TB Platter Seagate ST3000DM001 but has an older firmware on the drives. According to many threads on Seagate's forums, they released a firmware update that helps with the noise of the heads parking as well as the "beep" that happens when the drives are spun up from sleep.

I love my 2big Thunderbolt and don't mind the noise at all really. I get crazy performance and it has been running for a little over a year, 24/7 with multiple large writes (100+GB) and doesn't even flinch. I'm looking to purchase another one soon.

Colchiro

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013
Are these standard 3/4 pin 12v fans?

In the olden days I purchased 4 pin fan adapters with an inline pot so I could dial in whatever fan speed I wanted.

G2Sound

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
Not sure if LaCie has changed anything, but I just bought one of the 6TB 2Big's to record audio on "The Biggest Loser" TV show. The enclosure is pretty quiet... the air conditioner in our control room is much louder than the drive. Maybe the LaCie rep that commented earlier can reply to this. Also, maybe someone can answer this: is there any software update necessary to install SSD's into the sleds on the 2Big enclosure?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Not sure if LaCie has changed anything, but I just bought one of the 6TB 2Big's to record audio on "The Biggest Loser" TV show. The enclosure is pretty quiet... the air conditioner in our control room is much louder than the drive. Maybe the LaCie rep that commented earlier can reply to this. Also, maybe someone can answer this: is there any software update necessary to install SSD's into the sleds on the 2Big enclosure?

No I use ssd's in wd icepacks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-IcePack-...SSD-2-5-HDD-/120949813667?hash=item1c292bb1a3

I also disconnected the fan. this hdd will come out very soon.

http://www.hgst.com/travelstar-5k1500

it will be cool enough to be fanless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.