Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feuxfollets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
How is the keyboard on this for gaming, SC2 in particular?

Having used a mechanical keyboard primarily at my desktop, I can't really stand the typical chiclet keys for gaming; I feel much slower on them.

Kind of on the fence about buying this, versus a Dell or something else with actual keys.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
It's a good keyboard, but you have to get used to the FN key being where the Ctrl key normally is, takes a little getting used to the positioning. Key actuation is good though, better than most laptops I would say. I normally play with a mechanical keyboard as well(Coolermaster Quickfire Storm) I would also recommend playing with a mouse.

I made a video of SC2 on the MBA 2013 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFE15JvTCBA

feuxfollets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
carrying a mechanical keyboard around kind of defeats the purpose of getting a light laptop. as for the fn/ctrl thing i could just remap them, so that's not a problem, i'm more interested in the feeling of the keys. i have an envy 14 currently and hate playing sc2 on it's keyboard.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
carrying a mechanical keyboard around kind of defeats the purpose of getting a light laptop. as for the fn/ctrl thing i could just remap them, so that's not a problem, i'm more interested in the feeling of the keys. i have an envy 14 currently and hate playing sc2 on it's keyboard.

I don't mean to imply you should carry around a mechanical keyboard, that's a bit excessive! I merely mentioned it as a point of reference since i use one as well on my desktop for sc2 gaming.

The keys feel great, however its such a subjective experience that you should honestly test one out yourself.

feuxfollets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
I don't mean to imply you should carry around a mechanical keyboard, that's a bit excessive! I merely mentioned it as a point of reference since i use one as well on my desktop for sc2 gaming.

The keys feel great, however its such a subjective experience that you should honestly test one out yourself.

sorry that was in response to the person before who said "usb keyboard"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.