Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

humboldtnews

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
Thanks! Opening a pdf in Preview and making a copy worked for me to be able to use a password protected pdf!:):):)

jule74

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
Unlock secure PDF documents

The ColorSync worked. I had to print instead of export, but is still worked. Here is what I did.

Open ColorSync. Go to File. Click Open and open the file you need to unlock. Then click print. Then click the pdf button at bottom of print screen and Save as PDF. Then enter information and where you want to save. Click save.

Thank you so much. I'm downloading texts for my Securities licenses and want to add stickies and highlights for future reference.

Have a successful day!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I use Ovis PDF Recover.

This version is older but it does not make a watermark if you use it unregistered.

Both versions require purchase if you want to unlock more than one page.

I'm in the newspaper business so most of what I am unlocking are the ad proofs that customers got from another paper and are passing on to us to use in our papers.

The West Valley View is a particular offender. :D

MODS: PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SECOND VERSION I LINK TO IS NOT CRACKED OR ILLEGAL OR ANYTHING ELSE. IT WAS THE VERSION OVIS PROVIDED IN 2006 AS SHAREWARE AND THEY DID NOT USE A WATERMARK FEATURE, BUT LIMITED IT'S USE TO JUST THE FIRST PAGE.

navrosh

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2013
We can un protect is using preview!!

Yeah.. It worked the way you have mentioned dude. Thank you

I don't have a protected PDF in hand, but here is what I found last time I had one...

Open it in Preview... and try a « save as ».

When a PDF is protected, you can't « copy » text form it.. However, from Preview, you CAN... so maybe « save as » from Preview would work.

leo.mchugh

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2013
How to remove a password from a PDF if you have the password

Open it in Preview. Make a copy. Save the copy - making sure that encryption/passwords etc are turned off.

I wasted a lot of time downloading programs and trying to print to PDF etc, but this simple method worked for me.

Hope it works for you too!

butcherbird

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
Thank you for the ColorSync tip -- worked using the Print method! Glad to know I can try the Preview method if ColorSync ever fails me.

I appreciate the free unlocker! :)

shreya45

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
Thank you for the ColorSync tip -- worked using the Print method! Glad to know I can try the Preview method if ColorSync ever fails me.

I appreciate the free unlocker! :)

If you're not concerned about formatting, you can simply upload locked PDF on Google Drive and from there you can download it as a Word File. I also tried free pdf unlocker but it didn't work for me. The program mentioned here http://support.oreilly.com/oreilly/topics/how_do_i_unlock_a_pdf_document_remove_pdf_restrictions works perfectly but it comes with some trial limitations :(

Last edited:

mac.network

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Libre Office

Libre Office does a great job of opening PDFs as a Drawing that you can edit and Print to PDF. Much the same as Illustrator.

kevinmac001

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2015
Colorsync won't allow me to export. It shows a lock in the upper corner. They must have figured that one out : P

Any other tricks out there?

Super easy soln - just print to pdf after loading the pdf.

----------

The ColorSync worked. I had to print instead of export, but is still worked. Here is what I did.

Open ColorSync. Go to File. Click Open and open the file you need to unlock. Then click print. Then click the pdf button at bottom of print screen and Save as PDF. Then enter information and where you want to save. Click save.

Thank you so much. I'm downloading texts for my Securities licenses and want to add stickies and highlights for future reference.

Have a successful day!

Beautiful soln. Thanks!!!

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Google Chrome has a built-in PDF reader* and a PDF writer and we can combine the two features to remove the password from any PDF document. Let’s see how:

1. Drag any password protected PDF file into your Google Chrome browser.
  2. Google Chrome will now prompt you to enter the password of the file. Enter the password and hit Enter to open the file.
  3. Now go to the File menu in Google Chrome and choose Print (or press Ctrl+P on Windows or Cmd+P on Mac). Choose the destination printer as “Save as PDF” and click the Save button.
Gold star for solving this after 7 years.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Gold star for solving this after 7 years.
It doesn't solve it at all. The problem isn't making a non-password protected PDF... it's getting rid of the password protection in an existing PDF when it's already there and you don't know the password.

All Chrome is doing is re-saving the PDF without a password, which ANY app on the Mac can do.

The problem with the OP is that he didn't know the password.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It doesn't solve it at all. The problem isn't making a non-password protected PDF... it's getting rid of the password protection in an existing PDF when it's already there and you don't know the password.

All Chrome is doing is re-saving the PDF without a password, which ANY app on the Mac can do.

The problem with the OP is that he didn't know the password.
He/She specifically solved my issue.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
He/She specifically solved my issue.
That's great. But your issue (whatever it was) is not what this thread was started for. If you had the password to a locked PDF, then all you had to do was save it as a new PDF without restrictions using ANY program that can write a PDF. If your issue was not knowing how to save a standard PDF file, then yeah I guess his response was helpful... but it does nothing to address the subject of the old original post.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
That's great. But your issue (whatever it was) is not what this thread was started for. If you had the password to a locked PDF, then all you had to do was save it as a new PDF without restrictions using ANY program that can write a PDF. If your issue was not knowing how to save a standard PDF file, then yeah I guess his response was helpful... but it does nothing to address the subject of the old original post.
The PDF gets frequent updates so downloading it is largely useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.