Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nursingsteph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Mac book air 13... brand new user to apple world. any suggestions on must have as far as applications and external accessories. was looking at smart shell cases... looking for something that is not gonna make bulky but yet protect from scratches of god forbid fall. any thoughts?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't like the plastic shells but they're popular. A case, or backpack. Check out the case thread for ideas

If you think you'll be running short on storage a portable hard drive. I personally like the Magic Mouse over the track pad but that's just me (I don't like trackpads)

xproc

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Malaysia
things you might need, you might surprised that so much things you can burn your wallet.

1. Sleeve for your macbook, prevent bump/scratches, therefore cover is not needed
  2. keyboard protector, (just to prevent your oily finger direct touch the keypad, especially when eating, lol, else its not needed)
  3. A mouse, be it Apple Magic mouse or normal logitech wireless mouse.
  4. USB Hub, in case you have more than 2 usb things to connect, you might need choose USB3.0 hub if you have USB 3.0 things to connects, but the problem with USB 3.0 hub is it needs additional power adapter. i choose belkin travel hub (USB 2.0) coz its small and nice looking http://www.belkin.com/my/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=543344
  5. external harddrive for backup (USB3)
  6. Quirky PowerCurl Cord Wrap (http://www.quirky.com/products/15)
  7. minidisplayport to VGA (apple), and minidisplayport to HDMI (3rd party) or thunderbolt cable if you connect Apple Display.
  8. Apple TV!

the list goes on....

Last edited:

ylrd

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
Europe
Just buy a messenger bag/backpack and you'll be good to go.

A mouse is unnecessary unless you're doing pixel-precise work and a case hides the beautiful design of the MBA.

If you have a secondary display make sure to buy the HDMI adapter, and if you don't want breadcrumbs in your keyboard you can buy a keyboard protector, but first you should know it'll reduce the ventilation (since some heat escapes from the keyboard) when you're doing hard work.

Anyway, you should read this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/9848667/

And try to Google a little :) your question has been asked a million times all over the internet.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
external HDD for backup with a clone program like SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner. You would be surprised how many people start threads here begging for help after deleting important stuff and then saying they have no backup. People say it is not necessary because the internal HDD will not fail and then when it does they scream bloody murder at Apple. If you can afford a Mac, you can afford a simple external HDD.

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
things you might need, you might surprised that so much things you can burn your wallet.

1. Sleeve for your macbook, prevent bump/scratches, therefore cover is not needed
  2. keyboard protector, (just to prevent your oily finger direct touch the keypad, especially when eating, lol, else its not needed)
  3. A mouse, be it Apple Magic mouse or normal logitech wireless mouse.
  4. USB Hub, in case you have more than 2 usb things to connect, you might need choose USB3.0 hub if you have USB 3.0 things to connects, but the problem with USB 3.0 hub is it needs additional power adapter. i choose belkin travel hub (USB 2.0) coz its small and nice looking http://www.belkin.com/my/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=543344
  5. external harddrive for backup (USB3)
  6. Quirky PowerCurl Cord Wrap (http://www.quirky.com/products/15)
  7. minidisplayport to VGA (apple), and minidisplayport to HDMI (3rd party) or thunderbolt cable if you connect Apple Display.
  8. Apple TV!

the list goes on....

This is pretty much as thick as it can get; The OP can't go wrong with this.

any thoughts?

I am against shell cases, I prefer a naked MBA for the sake of showing up the amazing finish and terrific curves, I simply use a sleeve. Besides, a shell tends to trap dirt inside that can and will scratch the finish and if you constantly pop up the case to clean it up, you will end up breaking the notches.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
What I have for my MBP. Sure, it's not an air but the logic applies.

1) 3 button mouse, wireless. I use a logitech anywhere mx.
2) External storage. Since I don't have usb3 I use mulitple 1tb firewire drives.
3) Some type of protective case, I use the incipio feather. I travel a lot.
4) Wireless keyboard - I use the apple bluetooth.
5) Rain design 'mstand' laptop stand.
6) Mini display port to dvi, vga and hdmi adapters.
7) 2nd power supply.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004

the list goes on....

Of course, you don't have to buy everything at once, especially if you don't need it right away. It all adds up in the end, sure, but it doesn't put as much of a hurt on your wallet.

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
I have..

- a leather sleeve, which is essential, and it great for sitting the MBA on while using it (http://www.MintCases.com)
- a Thunderbolt - HDMI cable adapter (found on Amazon for 10-16.00)
- Apple USB Ethernet Adapter (Necessary if you aren't able to use WiFi)
- Western Digital 1TB External Drive
- Bowers & Wilkins P3 Headphones
- Brenthaven ProStyle Courier for MBA 11"

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
external HDD for backup with a clone program like SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner. You would be surprised how many people start threads here begging for help after deleting important stuff and then saying they have no backup. People say it is not necessary because the internal HDD will not fail and then when it does they scream bloody murder at Apple. If you can afford a Mac, you can afford a simple external HDD.

My Time Capsule has saved my bacon more than once. Highly recommended accessory.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
- Bowers & Wilkins P3 Headphones

Rolling w/ the Bose Quiet Comfort noise canceling. A MUST have for air travel. After using the NC headphones I'm not nearly as fatigued after flying. I believe that it's the noise that causes the majority of fatigue during air travel after using these headphones for the last several years. Between those and the MacAir w/ an asst. of movies I'm usually like "We're landing already!? I really wanted to finish my movie.". Seriously. It's changed air travel for me forever.

My Time Capsule has saved my bacon more than once. Highly recommended accessory.

It will also provide the greatest wifi speed for you Apple products. Whether you go w/ the older Time Capsule and especially if you go w/ the new Time Capsule. Apple claims "up to 3x faster". Add in the added benefit of the automatic backups and it's a no brainer.

Oh, and a Magic Mouse. Have I mentioned that yet?:p

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
[*]keyboard protector, (just to prevent your oily finger direct touch the keypad, especially when eating, lol, else its not needed)
Anyone who isn't going to freak out when his keyboard is a bit dirty won't need this. Nor anyone who knows greasy fingers will make other things like keys greasy as well and thus knows to clean his hands first. You know, anyone who's sane and uses his mind.
There are some people who are absolutely against it because it blocks the keys and thus any airflow/heat coming from the notebook itself. There seems to be some truth to this. The notebook will be a bit hotter when you use it in clamshell mode (aka lid closed) than when opened.

[*]A mouse, be it Apple Magic mouse or normal logitech wireless mouse.
[*]USB Hub, in case you have more than 2 usb things to connect, you might need choose USB3.0 hub if you have USB 3.0 things to connects, but the problem with USB 3.0 hub is it needs additional power adapter. i choose belkin travel hub (USB 2.0) coz its small and nice looking http://www.belkin.com/my/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=543344
[*]external harddrive for backup (USB3)
[*]minidisplayport to VGA (apple), and minidisplayport to HDMI (3rd party) or thunderbolt cable if you connect Apple Display.
I'd suggest this only if you are going to use it at home. Create one place where you can sit comfortably with a large display, external keyboard and mouse and things like a wired network connection, external storage/backup, notebook stand, etc. Something that is ergonomic.

[*]Quirky PowerCurl Cord Wrap (http://www.quirky.com/products/15)
Not recommended, waste of money. Simply roll up the wire loosely and you'll be fine. With this product you don't solve the problem of breaking cables because those are caused by rolling up warm wires too tightly. You can still do that with this product. Since you can solve it for free this is a waste of money.

[*]Apple TV!
If you want to do some streaming to your tv than this is ideal. With OS X Mavericks you can even use the tv via the AppleTV as an external monitor.

the list goes on....
It sure does! How about things like a printer, scanner, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Time Capsule, Thunderbolt dock (comes in handy for an ergonomic workplace), Thunderbolt-Gigabit Ethernet adapter, Thunderbolt-Firewire adapter, usb stick, etc.

It all depends on what you want. Getting an external keyboard, mouse and a notebook stand is something I'd recommend because it creates an ergonomic workspace. Also some kind of backup (external usb3 disk, Time Capsule).

xproc

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Malaysia
Anyone who isn't going to freak out when his keyboard is a bit dirty won't need this. Nor anyone who knows greasy fingers will make other things like keys greasy as well and thus knows to clean his hands first. You know, anyone who's sane and uses his mind.
There are some people who are absolutely against it because it blocks the keys and thus any airflow/heat coming from the notebook itself. There seems to be some truth to this. The notebook will be a bit hotter when you use it in clamshell mode (aka lid closed) than when opened.

My friend break the adapter because he wrapped it too tight, especially at the joint where is the most fragile

With the cord wrap it protect the joint where it doesn't break too easy, this is the second accessories most needed to buy, just only after the sleeve

Last edited:

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
My friend break the adapter because he wrapped it too tight, especially at the joint where is the most fragile

With the cord wrap it protect the joint where it doesn't break too easy, this is the second accessories most needed to buy, just only after the sleeve

That was kind of the whole point. The cables fray at the brick because they are wound too tightly. Simply by giving the cable some slack before wrapping it, one can avoid additional stress at the connector.

The cord wrap, and many other products like it, ensure that the cable flexes at a more curve rather than a bend. By altering one's habits slightly, the entire issue can be avoided. Then again, people would make fun of Apple for saying that you're wrapping your cord too tight.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
No it's not. People need to learn how to handle cables properly. If you do handle it properly it will last for years and you won't need to buy such things as a cord wrap. It's not rocket science, it's simple and even faster than using something like a cord wrap product.

It's the same when quoting someone's post. If you only reply to a particular part of the post there is no need to include the entire post. Simply delete all the irrelevant parts. Take a look at this reply and compare it to yours. Which one is easier and quicker to read?

xproc

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Malaysia
No it's not. People need to learn how to handle cables properly. If you do handle it properly it will last for years and you won't need to buy such things as a cord wrap. It's not rocket science, it's simple and even faster than using something like a cord wrap product.

not all people handle the cable properly... at least for someone like me... i always needed to bring my mac outside, so the cord wrap is very useful for me, for my small bag every there are many others stuff in it...

we can always put the cable loosely, therefore will not broke the joints, anyway the cord wrap idea is to let you wrap your cable, and the arrangement using the wrap will automatically provide enough space for the joints where is the fragile point. and the compactness after wrapped we can always put it nicely and organised way is our small bag, along with other accessories...

i would like to emphasis now that the cord wrap is not a must products for everyone, its just for careless people like me, and for just USD15 in my country, its really not that expensive compare to the mac we brought. one have to actually used the product to know how good it actually is.

It's the same when quoting someone's post. If you only reply to a particular part of the post there is no need to include the entire post. Simply delete all the irrelevant parts. Take a look at this reply and compare it to yours. Which one is easier and quicker to read?
i agree with you at this point and sorry about that. previously i was typing using my mobile therefore i did not able to do the editing on the go.

now i typing using the new mba 11 i brought yesterday, indeed happy about this... previous mac last me for 8 months before i sold it. the buyer really appreciate that i protect my mac (including the adapter, because the adapter still very new and does not have visible scratches because the part which touch the ground is always the rubber, and not the adapter) in a very nice way and we agreed to very good price for my 8 months old mac (which is 2012 13" mba) (and include all the accessories that i brought).

the only problem with the wrap is i not able to use the hook of the adapter, and the secondary travel plug is always at the original box (because i never used it)

the accessory i regret to give him now is the cord wrap, i need to buy it again but it was out of stock at the shop :(

----------

for hot weather country like us, our hands will not always in dry / clean situation, our fingers will always sweat a bit and this will make the keys dirty. this is more serious for those who sweats a lot, so it's nice for them...

agreed that the protector will increase the temperature... so again i say this is not a must item also... just an additional item... you can always remove it when you do not want to use it...

----------

I'd suggest this only if you are going to use it at home. Create one place where you can sit comfortably with a large display, external keyboard and mouse and things like a wired network connection, external storage/backup, notebook stand, etc. Something that is ergonomic.

i will always use the mouse whenever i work at the desk... scroll too much using the scroll pad will make my hand pain, anyway i agree mba touch pad is the best touchpad of all...

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Mouse, sleeve to store it in (I use backpack when I need to, but the sleeve is used 99% of the time), I also bought a USB to network, Thunderbolt to VGA, Thunderbolt to HDMI and Thunderbolt to DVI adapters, the last 3 ebay specials for under $10 each and they work really well for the odd occasion I want to connect to external displays

Last edited:

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
For me, must have accessories are:

External HDD / USB or FireWire for backup and installations
Mini Display Port to Display Port Cable
Mini Display Port to DVI / DL DVI
Mini Display Port to HDMI
Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
i would like to emphasis now that the cord wrap is not a must products for everyone, its just for careless people like me, and for just USD15 in my country, its really not that expensive compare to the mac we brought. one have to actually used the product to know how good it actually is.
I know it is useful to some people but in this case you can prevent it by simply doing it the right from the start. Once you've done it, it's easy to remember. If you still can't get used to it only then you should be looking into such products. I wouldn't recommend it to any newcomers though.

now i typing using the new mba 11 i brought yesterday, indeed happy about this... previous mac last me for 8 months before i sold it. the buyer really appreciate that i protect my mac (including the adapter, because the adapter still very new and does not have visible scratches because the part which touch the ground is always the rubber, and not the adapter) in a very nice way and we agreed to very good price for my 8 months old mac (which is 2012 13" mba) (and include all the accessories that i brought).
Ah well, there is a guy here who returned his Mac after he found a very small scratch somewhere on the bottom. It required a macro shot in order to actually see it. Some people have really bad OCD. Anyway, that MBA 11" should be a very nice computer to use :) Have fun with that one!

for hot weather country like us, our hands will not always in dry / clean situation, our fingers will always sweat a bit and this will make the keys dirty. this is more serious for those who sweats a lot, so it's nice for them...
It has its uses indeed but in quite a lot of cases it is simply a matter of resisting the urge to type :D

i will always use the mouse whenever i work at the desk... scroll too much using the scroll pad will make my hand pain, anyway i agree mba touch pad is the best touchpad of all...
You can use whatever input device you like be it a mouse, trackpad, tablet or something else as long as you create a workspace that is ergonomic so you can work at the computer for extended times without getting aches in various parts of your body or any fatigue. Notebooks are not that nice if you want/need to work for some hours. It's just so much more relaxing when you have a proper desk, chair, everything at eye level, etc.

Thank you for the additions!

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
+1 to dyn and jdechko, all it takes is some simple habit changes and you're all set. One of my old computer tech. teachers was adamant about never wrapping the keyboard and mice up, rather just folding the wire and placing it on top.

You will absolutely destroy the wires if you wrap it up so tightly, I now feel bad for all of my old N64 controllers :(

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
Mouse, sleeve to store it in (I use backpack when I need to, but the sleeve is used 99% of the time), I also bought a USB to network, Lightning to VGA, Lightning to HDMI and Lightning to DVI adapters, the last 3 ebay specials for under $10 each and they work really well for the odd occasion I want to connect to external displays

You mean thunderbolt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.