Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
:shocked: This app is... Why was I using that dumb YouTube app?

WHY DON'T PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THIS?

It's made by the dev who makes the Reddit client Alien Blue. It works way better than the YouTube app and you can select what quality you want your streams to be on 3G and WIFI.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
For me, the official YouTube app, Jasmine and the webpage all have the same slowness issue on iOS. I've got a 12Mbps connection so it isn't that (it loads the entire test video on my Mac in very large chunks). It'll load on my iPhone 5 but it does so in chunks so small that it buffers, plays, buffers, plays, buffers, etc.

Something is completely bonkers with the wifi on that thing. Too bad too because, otherwise, the phone freaking screams!

mitchyd1989

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
A mate of mine has had the slow YouTube problem on his iPhone 5 and I just told him to try the mobile site, which worked fine, and then Jasmine, which also worked perfect.

I'm still on a 4S so the YouTube app works fine for me, but Jasmine is definitely a great temporary solution for those having the wifi issue. Hopefully Google releases an update soon that fixes this, seems like a pretty common problem.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
What's with all the Jasmine recommendations? I've found the video quality it offers is worse than Google's YouTube app (at least on short videos, Google's app drops the quality on longer videos) and YouPlayer. Try YouPlayer, it's very nice.

mrchams

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
I also have this issue.
Slow YouTube and videos on wifi but fast on 4G/3G using YouTube app and safari.
my iphone 4 has no problem only my 5.
Things I've found that help (not a total resolution)
1. in your wifi settins change your DNS to googles 8.8.4.4
doing this reduced download times but till stops every so often.
2. I found youvideo app much quicker but again not a total fix.

I was really hoping the ios 6.1 and Jailbreak would of fixed it but nope.
hopefully one of the hacker teams can find a resolution for this very frustrating problem

saleen392

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
All of these have been true for me while using YouTube App iPhone 5 on wifi.

-while on wifi streaming video the quality has been bumped down before more than once on wifi

-buffering sucks on wifi. Video may start then stops and buffers annoying. Router is at tv and I'm on the couch

-LTE works fine, but that uses data plan

Also, downloads in certain apps have been way faster using lte than wifi just stuck

Extremely annoying and it's not just happening to me but my friends iPhone 5

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
What's with all the Jasmine recommendations? I've found the video quality it offers is worse than Google's YouTube app (at least on short videos, Google's app drops the quality on longer videos) and YouPlayer. Try YouPlayer, it's very nice.

Jasmine allows background airplay (something not possible on the YouTube app for some reason). It also seems to stream / buffer more quickly and smoothly.

If there is any degradation in video quality, I am not noticing it. The downside is that youtube's interface is better on the ipad, allowing me to read comments and scroll through related videos while the clip plays in a smaller window. Also, there is currently no way to open youtube links in Jasmine.

grassynoel

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
Another observation - iPhone5 YouTube App and Youtube.com on Safari both unusable over WiFi. 4G and LTE are fine. Interestingly, 4G connection to my AT&T Microcell, which goes through my very same router and ISP, works fine.

Oh, and +1 for Jasmine. Works perfectly over WiFi.

Howlly Shooter

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2013
Im having this same ****** problem! :mad:

Yesterday I was 'trying' to watch a video on the youtube App in my recently bought iphone 5, but the video wouldn't play , the buffering speed was very very slow. I believed that this could be the quality of the video, so I tryed out any other video in youtube and ALL of them are slow enough that I cant see it , unless I wait for 20 minutes so the Buffer can complete. Just for a test I took my mother's iphone 3GS, and opened the SAME video, connected to the SAME wi-fi, with no data cellular turned on, on the both iPhones, and surprisingly the 3GS worked completely fine and incomparable FASTER, and my iphone 5 all stucked. WTF???

thanks. :confused:

ivylff

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2013
i think the problem cause by the youtube app. I use UC Browser to view youtube web, it goes well

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Google apps on the iPhone have always been crappy.

Crappy.

Youtube on my Nexus 7 is just as bad if not worse. Honestly Apple has probably done a better job with Youtube than anyone, kills me that the old app is no more. As mentioned before, McTube is the only decent app currently available now.

mohy2k20

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2013
**** YouTube app for iPhone

Yes YouTube having a serious streaming issues with everybody & on all models 4S & 5.
Just install "ProTuber" app & you will be absolutely fine, it is truly steaming the video without any delay, try it & then delete the other **** YouTube app :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.