Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded build 12F20 of OS X 10.8.5 to developers, offering a fourth version of the next Mac operating system update for testing. The release comes one week after the appearance of the previous beta of OS X 10.8.5, build 12F17.

mountainlion12f20.jpg
As with previous betas, the update comes with no known issues and can be downloaded via Apple's Developer Page or through the software update tool in the Mac App Store.

Testing on OS X 10.8.5 comes as Apple is also continuing work on its next major version of OS X, Mavericks. Apple has already seeded three developer previews of OS X Mavericks and has announced that it will launch the new operating system to the public this fall.

Update: One tipster says the update fixed the Adobe Photoshop flickering issue that was reported last last month.

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X 10.8.5 Build 12F20 to Developers [Updated]

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
They should do weekly iOS 7 beta seeds too.

That's not practical, with a .5 release there is a lot less that needs to be fixed, so they can get builds out a lot faster. For a .0 release, if there are weekly releases it will only be at the very end.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
^As much as I hate waiting longer for new releases, I think year and a half OS X development cycles might be a good thing for everyone. It's more time to add more significant features, and it allows more time for the current OS to become rock solid, which is great for casual users and enterprise. I know I felt like Lion never got truly stable.

dingoeater

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
When does everyone expect 10.8.5 to be released? How many betas do they usually release before it's final?

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
It varies. For 10.8.3, per example, there were like 12 (I think) builds. You can't really tell..

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Keep testing them! I'd rather wait a bit and get a solid 10.8.5 rather than get the software out of beta sooner and get buggy software as the tradeoff.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Have any of you guys any experience in how things are running with the latest 10.8.5 vs the 10.9 dev ?

I had the first 10.9 dev build installed and it runs like a dream, but things like some adobe apps breaks, but I would hate going back to 10.8 (standard) because that was dreadful too... so currently i am running windows8.1 but would prefer to get back on a speedy osx :)

So if any of you for some reason have had too much time and have a feeling of both, let me know! thanks :p

cbs20

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
Have any of you guys any experience in how things are running with the latest 10.8.5 vs the 10.9 dev ?

I had the first 10.9 dev build installed and it runs like a dream, but things like some adobe apps breaks, but I would hate going back to 10.8 (standard) because that was dreadful too... so currently i am running windows8.1 but would prefer to get back on a speedy osx :)

So if any of you for some reason have had too much time and have a feeling of both, let me know! thanks :p

First thing you have to consider is 10.8 is a much more established OS and 10.9 is only in beta. When DP1 for 10.9 was released that was the first time anybody at Adobe could get their hands on the OS and start optimizing applications to run in 10.9. On top of that the OS is constantly changing until its final release and applications may need to be tweaked with these changes to make sure they work with the OS. You can't make a good comparison of a beta OS to an established OS. Wait until 10.9 is released and app developers release their updates and then you can judge what OS to use.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
First thing you have to consider is 10.8 is a much more established OS and 10.9 is only in beta. When DP1 for 10.9 was released that was the first time anybody at Adobe could get their hands on the OS and start optimizing applications to run in 10.9. On top of that the OS is constantly changing until its final release and applications may need to be tweaked with these changes to make sure they work with the OS. You can't make a good comparison of a beta OS to an established OS. Wait until 10.9 is released and app developers release their updates and then you can judge what OS to use.

I'm well aware of all this, I'm not new to this game.

But as it stands right now 10.9 dev is still a lot better than the well established 10.8 on a lot of fronts. Stability isn't an issue 99% of the time, speed is better, simple features OSX should have had (or maybe not lost) a long time ago is there (or back).

Adobe are "supporting" (read it always works), though maybe unofficially dev OS's on the windows side of things, maybe due to the fact that less likely to break due to the way things are developed compared to OSX, I don't know know. Regardless, I am curious to hear if people see any difference in the new 10.8.5 releases or if they are just small patch-fixes (as one would sort of expect).

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005

LOL! :p

----------

When does everyone expect 10.8.5 to be released? How many betas do they usually release before it's final?

You'll know it's getting close when the versioning numbers only increase by one. For example this is version number 20 and the previous was 17. So I think we'll see a few more versions. There is almost always a beta-to-beta versioning increase of just one prior to release, and a lot of times there are several of those.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
LOL! :p

----------

You'll know it's getting close when the versioning numbers only increase by one. For example this is version number 20 and the previous was 17. So I think we'll see a few more versions. There is almost always a beta-to-beta versioning increase of just one prior to release, and a lot of times there are several of those.

I'm gonna say another month hopefully

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
how many betas of 10.8.4 where there? that will tell you how soon we could possibly see 10.8.5 release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.