Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Psxsage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Let me say first this is my first Ipad/ios Tablet iv'e ever owned, i owned an Iphone 3G way back and was far from impressed with it and iv'e been Android ever since.....but...several annoyances with Android have built up over time which led me to try a switchback.

1. Fragmentation of several Android versions
2. Poor Software update support from phone brands (Android version updates that is)
3. Poor performance on superior devices...the Ipad mini performs faster than my Nexus 7 does ALL AROUND even though on paper the Nexus 7 should be using the Ipad Mini as a coaster.
4. Build quality (Or lack their of) i was getting so tired of every device i owned (tablets mostly) being PLASTIC! Plastic is fine for my morning drink not for my expensive Tablet device.
5.Poor customer service upon issue with device....goodluck getting a hold of most Android tablet makers if you have an issue....(this is one thing i loved about apple even when i had my 3G phone the service is top notch)

I could seriously probably make this a 20+ part list but it's not the purpose of this post. For those considering an Ipad mini either whom use Android currently or are current iOS users....i say this...BUY ONE NOW.

I recently purchased a 32 GB 4G LTE White Ipad mini to replace my aging Galaxy tab 2 7.0

Thus far it's...

More consistently snappy than any other Android tablet i have owned.

Better Built than ANY other Android tablet i have owned.

The screen even at a lower resolution is brighter and the colors more accurate than any other Android tablet i have owned.

The camera and front facing video chat is better than any other Android tablet i have owned.

And this one baffles me gaming performance TRUMPS any other android tablet i have owned...even with the meager specs of the Ipad mini it's flawless in gaming performance.

Thus far i am nothing but impressed with the device and truly am considering a switch from my Galaxy phone to an iPhone again just to stay consistent among one OS.

You might be asking yourself WHY did you wait so damn long to TRY an ipad?

Simple i HATE the Ipad form factor it feels like someone ripped an LCD screen off a mount and said "Here is your tablet!" The ipad mini is the PERFECT form factor and comfortable to use while portable enough to take anywhere while not looking like an idiot carrying a small suitcase device (normal ipads)

I encourage anyone Android user or Current ipad owner to give the mini a shot...Thus far i'm in love and it's even making an Android diehard reconsider an iphone in addition! (and already made me dump my Android tablet)

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
Let me say first this is my first Ipad/ios Tablet iv'e ever owned, i owned an Iphone 3G way back and was far from impressed with it and iv'e been Android ever since.....but...several annoyances with Android have built up over time which led me to try a switchback.

1. Fragmentation of several Android versions
2. Poor Software update support from phone brands (Android version updates that is)
3. Poor performance on superior devices...the Ipad mini performs faster than my Nexus 7 does ALL AROUND even though on paper the Nexus 7 should be using the Ipad Mini as a coaster.
4. Build quality (Or lack their of) i was getting so tired of every device i owned (tablets mostly) being PLASTIC! Plastic is fine for my morning drink not for my expensive Tablet device.
5.Poor customer service upon issue with device....goodluck getting a hold of most Android tablet makers if you have an issue....(this is one thing i loved about apple even when i had my 3G phone the service is top notch)

I could seriously probably make this a 20+ part list but it's not the purpose of this post. For those considering an Ipad mini either whom use Android currently or are current iOS users....i say this...BUY ONE NOW.

I recently purchased a 32 GB 4G LTE White Ipad mini to replace my aging Galaxy tab 2 7.0

Thus far it's...

More consistently snappy than any other Android tablet i have owned.

Better Built than ANY other Android tablet i have owned.

The screen even at a lower resolution is brighter and the colors more accurate than any other Android tablet i have owned.

The camera and front facing video chat is better than any other Android tablet i have owned.

And this one baffles me gaming performance TRUMPS any other android tablet i have owned...even with the meager specs of the Ipad mini it's flawless in gaming performance.

Thus far i am nothing but impressed with the device and truly am considering a switch from my Galaxy phone to an iPhone again just to stay consistent among one OS.

You might be asking yourself WHY did you wait so damn long to TRY an ipad?

Simple i HATE the Ipad form factor it feels like someone ripped an LCD screen off a mount and said "Here is your tablet!" The ipad mini is the PERFECT form factor and comfortable to use while portable enough to take anywhere while not looking like an idiot carrying a small suitcase device (normal ipads)

I encourage anyone Android user or Current ipad owner to give the mini a shot...Thus far i'm in love and it's even making an Android diehard reconsider an iphone in addition! (and already made me dump my Android tablet)

Very well said. I have nothing but praises for my IPads as well.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I actually vastly prefer iOS as a tablet OS over Android, while I strongly prefer Android as a phone OS. I'm glad brand/platform loyalty isn't mandatory. Lol.

I use my Galaxy S3 and iPad mini for very different things and each OS serves my needs brilliantly.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Yeah my Nexus 7 is also laggy as hell. I was surprised with the performance of Safari on my sister's iPad 2 which is years old.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Really ?

Yeah my Nexus 7 is also laggy as hell. I was surprised with the performance of Safari on my sister's iPad 2 which is years old.

yeah after reading about all this lag on the Nexus 7 im being swayed to get an ipad mini or ipad mini 2 because apple products work well for their duration. plus build quality and resale value is really good. Do you guy think i should sell my iPad 4th gen before September ? If new iPad comes out resale value drops immediately correct ?

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
You might be in the wrong forum... we've known all this for years! :D

I am often in electronics stores, and the kids are all over the ipads playing with them. I note that there are far more Android devices available, but no-one's ever playing with those. I sometimes try to have a poke about on them, but they are always just home screens with nothing actually happening on them. Trying to start anything usually either crashes or does nothing useful. What is the home screen about anyway? Is it just so that it can show at least the time when switched on?

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
I also got rid of my android tablet and got and ipad4 best thing I ever did.
Android OS stinks

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Glad to hear you're happy with your new product. I love my iPad mini, surprised how much use it really gets!

Hopefully you have this much happiness when you finally decide to go iPhone!
:p

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
yeah after reading about all this lag on the Nexus 7 im being swayed to get an ipad mini or ipad mini 2 because apple products work well for their duration. plus build quality and resale value is really good. Do you guy think i should sell my iPad 4th gen before September ? If new iPad comes out resale value drops immediately correct ?

Don't sell it I think iPad 4 is fine but it depends on why you want a mini for? :apple:

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Smaller size I'm a college student so I usually use my ipad to study the larger iPad puts strain on my hands as when standing for a while using it takes its toll after a while. Is the mini good for reading pdfs and files?

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Good choice OP on buying the Mini. I own a 32GB Black on AT&T and other than having no cellular reception at home, I love this. I have a Nexus 7 and wish I would have bough the Mini way before the Nexus 7. I would not have a Nexus 7 today if I had.

The apps. Freakin amazing on the iPad compared to the Nexus 7 using the same apps!

Last edited:

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
i have a mini and i cannot put thing down the only thing that gets me to put the thing down is that the battery is flat in thing and i am unable to use the device again until it fully charged i use mine for several hours a day for different things i really enjoy using it for reading & posting on the forums sites.The only time that the 9'7 inch iPad gets a look in now is when i want to watch something a part from that its where is the mini

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Glad to see an objective analysis of ipad vs Android. But some fanboys also creep in saying Android tabs are crap.

Yes Ipad is definitely better in tablets . However, in phones,i prefer Android as 4 inch screen size is a deal breaker for me.

I however hope that Google/Asus fixes whatever went wrong with Nexus 7 ( unreliable after certain time of usage) and then i would want to have one :D

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Do a restore on the Nexus 7 like I said elsewhere. Monitor it after you install apps and I bet you will owe the n7 an apology.

The mini and n7 both have their pros and cons. I live with and enjoy both.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Do a restore on the Nexus 7 like I said elsewhere. Monitor it after you install apps and I bet you will owe the n7 an apology.

That's a hassle and from a lot of the reports restores didn't help. Apple's service in terms of warranty is really good as well

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

So... the Nexus 7 is like a tamagotchi? Have you watched every single app you installed, made sure it isn't running in the background, etc etc.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
So... the Nexus 7 is like a tamagotchi? Have you watched every single app you installed, made sure it isn't running in the background, etc etc.

I paid more attention to it, that is for sure. Like I said, it is now running like a top. We all know the complaints about lagging and download speeds. Not anymore for me.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
My feelings exactly. Thanks for saying it for me.:)

I actually vastly prefer iOS as a tablet OS over Android, while I strongly prefer Android as a phone OS. I'm glad brand/platform loyalty isn't mandatory. Lol.

I use my Galaxy S3 and iPad mini for very different things and each OS serves my needs brilliantly.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Smaller size I'm a college student so I usually use my ipad to study the larger iPad puts strain on my hands as when standing for a while using it takes its toll after a while. Is the mini good for reading pdfs and files?

I'm in college and I use it for reading documents (PDFs, Word, PowerPoints, eBooks, etc.) and taking notes. I love that it's so small yet doesn't feel that way when in use. I also use it to take notes (using the Wacom Bamboo stylus) with Notability. Perfect.

It's not really fair to compare the Nexus 7 and iPad mini despite both being similarly-sized tablets. One is $200, the other is $300+. While both are "cheap" compared to full-size tablets at $500, it's still over $100 difference which is 50+% of the Nexus 7 cost.

The reason why Android in general lags behind iOS in certain areas is because of platform fragmentation. iOS 6 (and 7) only runs on a handful of devices. And there isn't a custom ROM community (like CyanogenMod) that makes iOS 6/7 available for officially unsupported devices. It's a double edged sword being "open-source" (not technically but irrelevant in this scope). Having a tighter control of the devices running the OS is advantageous in the sense that you can build more consistent experiences because you can more thoroughly test. But you obviously have less choice which is disadvantageous.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Also a nexus 7 owner planning on making the switch.

I actually really like android on my phone (Jelly bean on GNex) and it isn't horrible on a tablet but the little niggles are starting to add up.

The web browsing experience on the nexus 7 is slowly driving me up a wall. I am hoping that either the iPad or the iPad mini will provide a better web browsing experience but I'm a little afraid that I'll discover things I take for granted in Android that I will miss when they are gone in iOS (such as the ability to adjust font sizes in safari??? come on Apple!)

But I am willing to take that risk. Just waiting for the new iPads to come out so I can make a decision between an iPad 5 or an iPad mini 2.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Also a nexus 7 owner planning on making the switch.

I actually really like android on my phone (Jelly bean on GNex) and it isn't horrible on a tablet but the little niggles are starting to add up.

The web browsing experience on the nexus 7 is slowly driving me up a wall. I am hoping that either the iPad or the iPad mini will provide a better web browsing experience but I'm a little afraid that I'll discover things I take for granted in Android that I will miss when they are gone in iOS (such as the ability to adjust font sizes in safari??? come on Apple!)

But I am willing to take that risk. Just waiting for the new iPads to come out so I can make a decision between an iPad 5 or an iPad mini 2.

Font size? Zoom?

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Personally, I like both OS's for different purposes. I have now reached the ridiculous point where I own this setup.

- iPhone 5 on Verizon
- Galaxy Note 8 w/LTE on AT&T
- iPad 4
- MacBook Pro 15" Retina
- iMac 27"

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
After my brother and mom got the iPad Mini for Christmas, I realized just how terrible my Nexus 7 was in comparison.

You would think the Nexus 7 would load games faster because of the specs... nope. Slow as hell. I didn't even realize how bad Android tablet apps were until I used an iPad. iPad apps are so much better. I thought my brother was a complete idiot for wasting money on an iPad mini when he could get a cheaper tablet... lol. Silly me. I spent nearly 300 bucks on a Nexus 7 + accessories, and I hated it. If I had waited a couple of months and bought the iPad mini instead, I bet I wouldn't have had any regrets.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
At this point I hate ios (And my god, ios7 the horror!), but Apple easily makes the best hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.