Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joewillmott

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2012
England
Does anyone else feel that over the last couple of years, with Apple's products evolving and crossing over with each other, their product line-up seems all over the place? I think with the future generations of products they need to regain a bit of the organisation they used to have when it was iPods, MacBooks, iMacs and Mac Pros. This is what it should be like in my head:

Mac Range
Mac Pro - The new Mac Pros
iMac - The iMacs
Mac mini - The Mac minis

Macbook Range
Macbook Pro - The 15" Retina MBP
Macbook - The 13" Retina MBP
Macbook Air - The 11" MBA

iPad Range
iPad - Regular sized iPad
iPad mini - The iPad mini

iPhone Range
iPhone 6 - Forget the "S" versions, if you have to wait longer to make a phone a real change/upgrade then that's fine by me, make new phones but don't release some half-way thing? Also settle on a screen size/resolution so developers can keep up!
iPhone 5 - Well... yeah

iPod range
iPod - What is currently the iPod touch
iPod Mini - The current iPod nano, put it in iOS but due to the smaller screen size, a lower resolution
iPod Nano - The iPod shuffle (I dislike the current name as shuffle is an optional feature that is available on every device)

iWatch
iWatch - The rumour that is looking very real

Apple TV
TV - The rumoured Apple television
TV box - The apple TV

I know it doesn't sound like much change at all, but in my mind it just seems a little more... together? I think the iPod and Macbook range is currently all over the place. Things like peripherals and such are too much effort to go into. One thing I would like to see is Apple just settling on one aspect ratio for their iOS range and their Mac range and sticking with it for a few years, making it easier for developers to develop for the whole range. Also forget the cheaper iPhone, it will just add complications and wont feel premium like an Apple product is supposed too.

I am sure many will disagree and have your reasons and I welcome your feedback, this is just what I have been imagining for the last few months.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
So...what you are saying is you want to add a new name to the Macbook line, remove the iPod Classic, and remove the letter 'S'. You sir are a visionary.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I would be very upset if Apple were to ditch the iPod Classic line. In fact, I think it deserves an SSD and software upgrade.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
The OP is right. Apple's product line is becoming more bloated every year.

In the past there was just one iPhone and iPod touch model, but now we also have the low cost iPod touch and soon a low cost iPhone. This type of clutter is unnecessary and just ruins the product line. Apple aren't quite as bad as their competitors yet, but they are going in that direction.

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
if you had a company who invented "the iPhone" and you suddenly became the worlds biggest company because of this and half of your income is directly related to the iPhone and it's siblings (iPads included) you would definately want to keep focus on this market.

the computers are important and many new computer customers come from owning an iOS device.

the iPod market...I think we can start dropping that, buying a MP3 player with no phone feature or otherwise "smart" is a very very slim market.

Apple is, like many large companies, like a huge ship, and it's hard to move and shift, but when doing so it creates large waves.

The computer part will probably remain:
Stationary computer pro / non-pro
Laptop pro / non-pro + education
and the mini.

while I think the iOS part of the game is going to be wider, like we can see now they want low-cost iPhone with many colors, and they have made difference between iPad 3rd gen and 4th gen invisible..it's about looks/costs not specs (this cable, that cable, this amount of RAM this CPU yadda-yadda.)

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Macbook Range
Macbook Pro - The 15" Retina MBP
Macbook - The 13" Retina MBP
Macbook Air - The 11" MBA
They already did the Macbook 13"/MBP 15" nonsense, and went back pretty quickly on that. They won't do it again. Plus, at this point marketing the 13" as a 'non-pro' machine (vs the 15 as a pro) doesn't make sense either, because it will lead people to believe the 13" is significantly downgraded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.