Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/11/nokia-lumia-1020-official/

Just a quick post for info and thought. I'm not posting about a smartphone camera becuase I think it might replace a dedicated camera in any fashion. I post because I'm interested in mobile photograpy (captureing and editing images on my iphone) and this seems to be a whale of a phone/camera.

My iPhone 4 is getting long in the tooth and the new Nokia actually has me considering jumping over to the dark side (Windows Phone) instead of upgrading to the 5S or whatever the next incarnation of the iPhone is. The camera is not what keeps me with the iPhone but the integration into my all Apple ecosystem and the Apps.

Who knows? I will be watching the reviews of the 1020 as it hits the streets to see if the imaging part of the phone becomes more compelling.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
It has one main drawback......the Windows Phone OS.

That is the crux of it. If that camera tech was being shoved into the next iPhone I would not hesitate. I wouldn't even cry foul over some hideous bump in the back to accomplish it (not that Apple would ever do that).

I'm not a Windows basher. I've heard the OS runs really well on Nokia's phones. I'm just not sure I could give up the "ecosystem". I could care less about most of the apps but there are a few I use everyday that might not be supported. Something as simple as my banking or insurance app or Strava which I use every week to track biking and running.

Regardless, I'm most interested in seeing some real world photos from the 1020. Reading about the tech it sounds intriguing. It's not comparable to DLSR tech but for a phone camera it is pretty interesting. It's not really about taking 41MP images which is what most people are jumping on. Perhaps the image capability will be compelling enough to make me dip my toe out of the Apple pool for a while.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
If you don't need the apps or ecosystem, it is a great OS. But that's a big "if".

I have a Lumia 928, and the app issue is somewhat overblown. I have found same/equivalent apps for everything I use regularly, so mileage varies greatly (and I've used iOS, Android, and Windows Phone). The only major missing piece at the moment is an official Instagram client, though there are unofficial clients.

But for my daily use (banking, email, kindle, Zinio, Pandora, casual gaming, twitter, facebook, RSS, camera, wordpress) I have everything I need. It really depends on the user.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
@ question fear

How would you rate the photo quality of the 928 vs the last version of iPhone you've used? I'm assuming the 1020 will be better IQ than the 928.

Not to derail this too much from the photo aspect but...what about music and movies. I know Nokia has thier music service and windows phone of course does video but I have a large iTunes collection of both burned media and purchased from iTunes. I see there is some synch software for mac from windows phone but does it play nice with iTunes content?

Surely there is a little bias in the link below but the images are impressive for the 1020.

http://www.wpcentral.com/photo-samples-nokia-lumia-1020-s-41-megapixel-camera

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I can try to pull examples later, but imo the Lumia 928 is much better than the 4S. For still shots there's less of a difference, but the focus and image stabilization are far better on the Lumia, so I find I am getting much better casual shots of my dog and my son with the Lumia.

And the nighttime/low light performance of the Lumia is VERY good.

I may have the chance to compare the Lumia with a whole slew of camera phones this weekend (Galaxy S4, iPhone 5, HTC One, etc), so if I do I will share the info.

/"\/oo\/"\

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
To offer a counterpoint, I've been using a Lumia 920 as my travel phone alongside an iPhone 4 with my domestic SIM card for the past ~3 months. The primary reasons I got the 920 were cost and the offline maps.

Two of my biggest peeves with the OS are inconsistent back button behavior across apps and the lack of a notification center- fairly often the phone will make a noise of some sort or vibrate and offer no visual indication of why, which means checking all of the apps. Updates to the live tiles can also be a bit...janky. On the app side of things, the *best* way I could describe things is not all that bad. You have an ok chance of finding what you're after, but apps that well thought out with regards to the OS UI and well integrated are quite rare. FWIW, pretty much everything that Nokia touches seems to be excellent, hardware and software.

The camera is obviously a marked improvement over my iPhone 4, but at the same time is blatantly a phone's camera quality-wise. If all you're doing is posting photos to various social media sites, justifying the purchase on the camera (even on the 1020) is a long, long stretch.

If Windows Phone got a quarter the development attention that iOS and Android get, it would be good...definitely better than Android. But it doesn't, and it shows.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
/"\/oo\/"\;17580951 said:
To offer a counterpoint, I've been using a Lumia 920 as my travel phone alongside an iPhone 4 with my domestic SIM card for the past ~3 months. The primary reasons I got the 920 were cost and the offline maps.

Two of my biggest peeves with the OS are inconsistent back button behavior across apps and the lack of a notification center- fairly often the phone will make a noise of some sort or vibrate and offer no visual indication of why, which means checking all of the apps. Updates to the live tiles can also be a bit...janky. On the app side of things, the *best* way I could describe things is not all that bad. You have an ok chance of finding what you're after, but apps that well thought out with regards to the OS UI and well integrated are quite rare. FWIW, pretty much everything that Nokia touches seems to be excellent, hardware and software.

The camera is obviously a marked improvement over my iPhone 4, but at the same time is blatantly a phone's camera quality-wise. If all you're doing is posting photos to various social media sites, justifying the purchase on the camera (even on the 1020) is a long, long stretch.

If Windows Phone got a quarter the development attention that iOS and Android get, it would be good...definitely better than Android. But it doesn't, and it shows.

Thanks for the info, those are all good points. I don't really do Facebook, Twitter or any of that stuff. I use my iPhone 4 camera for snapping quick pics that I might text or email people or just for my own amusement. Lately I have gotten into "mobile photography" which might sound silly but is actually challenging and a nice break from trying to take the best picture possible with my DLSR. My phone is on the way out so I'm waiting to see what camera capabilities the next version of iPhone brings and of course this Nokia 1020 looks pretty interesting.

The rub of course is learning to live within Windows Phone (or live outside of the Apple ecosystem). Of course I can live without any apps. It wasn't really that long ago that not a single one existed. There are some highly useful ones that don't exist on Windows Phone yet. Namely my bank's app and my home security system app. I'm going to wait on the next iPhone for sure before upgrading. Hopefully, at the least, if the 1020 is successful for Nokia it will continue to push others to keep improving camera quality.

Found some more info on the 1020's camera if anyone is interested. http://i.nokia.com/blob/view/-/2723846/data/1/-/Lumia1020-whitepaper.pdf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.