Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular web service If This Then That (IFTTT) today launched an iPhone app, bringing the popular service to mobile devices. The service allows users to customize their web services using a set of rules within the parameters of "if this, then that."

ifttt.png
For example, a user can arrange for a photo taken with their iPhone to be automatically uploaded to their Flickr account or the service can be set up so the user is texted the weather report each morning in addition to whatever other "recipes" users can cook up.

The app currently allows interactivity with the iPhone's photos, contacts and reminders, but IFTTT says that "this is only the beginning", hinting that more features taking advantage of the hardware are likely to make their way into the app in the future.

IFTTT for iPhone is available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: IFTTT Launches iPhone App for Automating Photo, Contact, and Reminder 'Recipes'

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
Love IFTTT. Can't wait to see where they take this on the iPhone. I imagine more channels will appear after iOS 7 is released.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Based in San Francisco, which means subject to US law. No thanks. Maybe if it was based in Switzerland.

tirk

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Wimbledon, UK
This forum based in Virginia, which means subject to US law. Why post here?

:confused:

Posting on a forum does not require access rights to classes of my data. Given that your government deems it fine to spy on me, as a non-US citizen, I'm going to be careful what data I allow onto US servers.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Will this allow IFTTT to tap into Location Services? I'd personally love it if I could set up IFTTT recipes to, say, text a family member when I arrive at a certain location, or send a tweet when I land in a new country. It would have been impossible (well, clunky at best) to do this through the web interface alone, so I hope the iOS app enhances IFTTT's triggers and actions alike.

jrow470

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011

Posting on a forum does not require access rights to classes of my data. Given that your government deems it fine to spy on me, as a non-US citizen, I'm going to be careful what data I allow onto US servers.

First of all... the US government can "spy" on you wherever you are.

Secondly: What are you REALLY so worried about them seeing even IF they were. I don't think they care about the pictures of your cats.

Third: Most of the internet services you probably use everyday are based in the US. ie. Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, Evernote, Instagram, GMail. I'm pretty sure every, if not most, of the services IFTTT integrates with are located in the states.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
First of all... the US government can "spy" on you wherever you are.

Secondly: What are you REALLY so worried about them seeing even IF they were. I don't think they care about the pictures of your cats.

Third: Most of the internet services you probably use everyday are based in the US. ie. Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, Evernote, Instagram, GMail. I'm pretty sure every, if not most, of the services IFTTT integrates with are located in the states.

Not to mention every first world country does it anyway, weather it's been "confirmed" or not. UK, France, etc... People have known about FISA and the Patriot Act for years but only now outraged? But anyway we really shouldn't get off on a political tangent here.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009

I have a feeling you're not quite sure how tcp/ip and udp work...

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008

::facepalm::
ignorantia est beatitudinis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.