Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brett.c.brown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
I've seen several threads on this topic but most were several years old. I want to know what products people recommend for converting VHS tapes to a digital format on my MacBook Pro.

These are my Mac's specs:
Mac OS X 10.6.8
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 106 MHz DDR3

I'm hoping to spend less than $500 total for all the equipment, software, cables, etc... All I have right now are my VHS tapes and my Mac.

Thanks!
:apple:

Nov 28, 2010
located
Can these twelve threads from the past six months help?

As I can't link to the search, I show you my search terms, I used via Advanced Search*:
2012_02_26_pD1_VHSsearch.png

mickytumeki74

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Hi, I know you posted this back in february but I joined up just so I could answer you in case you haven't got anywhere yet.

Buy this interface it's called an 'Elgato' video capture. It has RCA component and S-video input to an interface which goes to a USB. It comes with software.

This is the ONLY D/A convertor interface that works on MAC.

Very easy to use. About $150-170 AUD on ebay.

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
Might I suggest

I love roxio toast for several uses. They have a $50 easy VHS to DVD product that would likely do the trick nicely.

popper88888

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
I love roxio toast for several uses. They have a $50 easy VHS to DVD product that would likely do the trick nicely.

I bought the Roxio and the audio never worked, then worked for a moment, then stopped working again. Here I am with a VCR, a cassette thingy for my little VHS-C cassettes to go in (brand new off ebay) the cord (both sides have the red, yellow and white, NO S-video) and the Roxio thing that doesn't work. What can I do? Please recommend another system, anyone?

----------

I bought the Roxio and the audio never worked, then worked for a moment, then stopped working again. Here I am with a VCR, a cassette thingy for my little VHS-C cassettes to go in (brand new off ebay) the cord (both sides have the red, yellow and white, NO S-video) and the Roxio thing that doesn't work. What can I do? Please recommend another system, anyone?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon

I've been using this for years: Elgato Video Capture

appleCrooner

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2013
UK
This is the ONLY D/A convertor interface that works on MAC.
Mickey, I think you'll find its not the only one!

Hi, Brett - you'd be able to run the Elgato device on your 10.6 mac but it comes with some limitations and issues. I bought one and got frustrated at not being able to change the output video settings. Video seemed quite compressed/blocky and maximum output size is limited to 640x480 pixels, on the plus side the video file sizes are quite small ;)

I also tried the nifty sounding 'pinnacle video transfer' unit, you're meant to be able to record straight to usb flash drive and change quality settings but when mine arrived it was broke and had to be sent back (reviewers on amazon all seem pretty happy with theirs though http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pinnacle-Systems-8230-10021-81-Video-Transfer/dp/B0012NFTQO)

If you want your digital vhs to look really great (or are trying to record videos with Macrovision protection - guilty face) then you will need to get any half decent Panasonic VCR (spend around £100 on ebay) and a full frame external TBC unit - basically an all singing A/D converter that plugs into your mac with firewire. I got a second hand canopus-100 from ebay for around £100 - only a little more than the elgato but much better quality. Use iMovie or Vidi (free) to capture the video to your mac.

it'll create a large .mov file - you'll probably want to pull it into a video editing program like Adobe Premiere or Mpeg streamclip (free) and export it to the H264(.MP4) format to bring the filesize down for storage.

If you only have a few tapes it may also be worth checking out professional transfer services that allow you to download your video straight to your mac, this is a service here in the UK: http://www.vhscloud.com and a similiar service in the US: http://www.peggybank.com

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
I've seen several threads on this topic but most were several years old. I want to know what products people recommend for converting VHS tapes to a digital format on my MacBook Pro.

These are my Mac's specs:
Mac OS X 10.6.8
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 106 MHz DDR3

I'm hoping to spend less than $500 total for all the equipment, software, cables, etc... All I have right now are my VHS tapes and my Mac.

Thanks!
:apple:

$150 for this Sony Converter Box - Analog In to FireWire Out and Vice Versa

$299 for Final Cut Pro X (As much as I hate it.)

There's your under $500 budget. You may even be able to use iMovie. But I've had that box for 10 years and it hasn't failed me yet.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
There's your under $500 budget. You may even be able to use iMovie. But I've had that box for 10 years and it hasn't failed me yet.

I'd expect the OP solved his problem back in February 2012. That was his only post and last visit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.