Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

hex_vision_ipod_nano_watch-250x404.jpg
Financial Times reports that Apple is "aggressively" hiring new employees to help with its smart watch effort, suggesting that the company needs additional expertise to tackle the project's challenges. Sources also indicate that the "iWatch" may not appear until late next year, as has been previously rumored.
The company has begun hiring "aggressively" for the project in recent weeks, say people familiar with Apple's plans for the wearable device, a move that shows it has stepped up development but which raises questions over the ability of its own engineers to develop wearable technology.

As Apple moves from iPods, iPhones and iPads into an entirely new category of product, it is looking beyond its existing staff in Cupertino for the talent required to build it - an indication that the endeavour involves "hard engineering problems that they've not been able to solve", according to one source.
The report indicates that Apple has been looking at acquiring smaller firms with expertise that would be valuable to its smart watch effort, and has also been working hard to retain key employees related to the project.

Rumors of an Apple smart watch have been circulating for some time now, with the company reportedly putting over 100 designers to work on the project. Earlier this month, it was revealed that Apple has hired Paul Deneve, formerly the CEO of fashion house Yves Saint Laurent, to work on "special projects", with speculation suggesting he may involved with the iWatch and other wearable computing projects at Apple.

Apple has been filing trademark applications on the iWatch name in a number of countries, something the company typically does relatively close to its product launches, but it appears in this case that Apple may still have significant work left to do before it can bring its smart watch to market.

(Photo: HEX Vision Metal Watchband for 6th-generation iPod nano)

Article Link: Apple 'Aggressively' Hiring for Smart Watch Project, Looking Toward Late 2014 Launch

Bladers

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2012
after that iOS7 garbage. I'm looking forward to see what they do with this.

Not holding my breath though.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Haven't they already bought the rights to that Swiss Railroad clock??
What more do you need for a watch!

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
iWatch...

it will be like a obvious step, sounds sort of boring. It will be like a Bluetooth peripheral. Nothing extraordinary.

Reactions: BrodieApple

dan110

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
'Merica
They need this ...

Momentum is slowing. They need something really big like a really good rendition of the iWatch.

I hope it has some truly compelling features and doesn't just "look good" with some serious compromises. The first to come to mind is that it should be waterproof up to ~ 3 meters and communicate with other iDevices via some other low power wireless technology (ie BT 4.0).

There should be an SDK so that developers can start hacking at it like the Pebble Watch for all kinds of wearable tech reasons.

Hopefully, there will be some wearable and bendable tech like that conceptualized by Nokia seven years ago in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcFmpg012K0

Last edited:

Bladers

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2012
iWatch...

it will be like a obvious step, sounds sort of boring. It will be like a Bluetooth peripheral. Nothing extraordinary.

Apple has to complete with Glass somehow. I bet this is their counter to it. Glass was birth in-house from Google's X Labs, but They scrambling to acquire smart watch start-ups and companies?

Come to think of it, "you don't innovate anymore my ass"

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Guess I'll be using my Pebble till then! I love this tech. It's saved me from a few missed calls, great iPhone music remote if you use non-Apple headphones, and it's just nice to see text messages and emails pop up on the display. If Apple do this well and connect it flawlessly with iOS - they've got a sale.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
iWatch...

This is Apple. They elevated the tablet, mp3, and smartphone industry. They could do it too for the watch!

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Apple has to complete with Glass somehow..
That's assuming glass manages to overcome the rather big technical challenges and will gain acceptance by the masses..

----------

Does anyone else not care at all about an "iWatch?"
You mean not care enough to not post a comment on this article or just not care at all?

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
A cracking idea then. An iPod Nano on a watch strap. Whatever next? They'll be making a mini version of the iPad probably. That's amazing innovation isn't it? Steve would be proud if he was alive today at how Tim Cook has preserved his legacy of ground breaking innovation .....
Oh no! What am I saying?. It's just another harebrained New Apple 'idea' rehashing different versions of the old innovations and hoping no one will notice.
Steve would in fact be turning in his grave instead.
It's only a matter of time before folks wake up and realise that (whisper it) New Apple are treading water ... There's only so long you can get away with rebadging the same old stuff. Harley Davidson have been getting away with rebooting the same bike for the past 30 years but there's no such retro street cred with technology.
Please. No more waffle. Lets lead once more. It's not too late. But. Sadly it soon will be if this is the best they can come up with :mad:

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
A cracking idea then. An iPod Nano on a watch strap. Whatever next? They'll be making a mini version of the iPad probably. That's amazing innovation isn't it? Steve would be proud if he was alive today at how Tim Cook has preserved his legacy of ground breaking innovation .....
Oh no! What am I saying?. It's just another harebrained New Apple 'idea' rehashing different versions of the old innovations and hoping no one will notice.
Steve would in fact be turning in his grave instead.
It's only a matter of time before folks wake up and realise that (whisper it) New Apple are treading water ... There's only so long you can get away with rebadging the same old stuff. Harley Davidson have been getting away with rebooting the same bike for the past 30 years but there's no such retro street cred with technology.
Please. No more waffle. Lets lead once more. It's not too late. But. Sadly it soon will be if this is the best they can come up with :mad:

It's a mock up...... Just a concept macrumors posted it's not the actual product. Calm down don't go off on a rant. Then again u prob already know that and just trolling.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I can't see how Paul Deneve would be involved in this project from a technical/engineering standpoint as that's not his background. Maybe his role will be more around brand/markings/sales?

----------

Apple has to complete with Glass somehow. I bet this is their counter to it. Glass was birth in-house from Google's X Labs, but They scrambling to acquire smart watch start-ups and companies?

Come to think of it, "you don't innovate anymore my ass"

As if all of Google's technology was invented from scratch. :rolleyes:

Bladers

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2012
That's assuming glass manages to overcome the rather big technical challenges and will gain acceptance by the masses..

You haven't thought it through yet. There is absolutely no new user experience that a smartWatch provides that a phone doesn't

Their user experience is absolutely the same

1) You use the same motion to use them. Bringing your arm from its resting position to your stomach.
That same motion you use to bring your phone from your pocket.

2) You both have to raise your arm to your mouth to talk to it. So no new user experience there.

3) You use the same touch functions on it. So no new user experience there aswell.

4) You need an earphone to listen to any sort of music or sound. no new user experience there also.

It even hinders privacy because everyone can see what you doing so you probably can't read text on it. with a phone you can actually hold it in an angle that blocked others from seeing what you doing.

The user experience is the same. nothing new you are bringing to users.
Its essentially a phone strapped to your hand.

While Glass provides an endless amount of new user experience

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Calm down don't go off on a rant. Then again u prob already know that and just trolling.

It's a fair cop, guv!

My missus wears exactly the same thing on her arm to the gym.

I knew all the time it wasn't really an iWatch, really.

The Nano (for those who still remember) was back in the "old days" (sigh)

Now? Now ... Lets just hope it comes up trumps. And the (pointless) Lightning (Connector white elephant) faux-pas doesn't strike twice ....

Why I Oughta ....

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Late 2014 ? :< too long to wait

Why would you "wait" to begin with? If you think of buying an other type of "smart" watch then by all means do so, nobody is stopping you. I'm known for being able to criticize Apple, I'm no Apple fanboy all tough I do work with Apple equipment.

But in this context there is nothing that can be blamed towards Apple for the very simple reason that no one, including myself, can predict what the i-watch will be like. And reading that Apple is 'aggressively' hiring people to solve issues that they themselves are not able to fix sounds more promising to me to be honest. It means that Apple will most probably not going to release a Pebble kind of watch. And trust me, the Pebble watch is besides ugly pretty useless as well. If I understand the message of Apple's approach correctly then Apple is just not going to release a "good" looking gadget which doesn't do much interesting things.

It's better for Apple to come up with "something" in late 2014 then with "something" soonish which will be criticized and ridiculed among critics just because it's a Pebble copy and paste watch...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I predict iWatch will be a well-executed minor accessory that does a job well--like AppleTV, Time Capsule, and the Magic Trackpad--rather than a world-changing new thing that all people could benefit from. And something that (as is true of AppleTV) might one day evolve further than its roots.

Only bloggers and the media are hyping the iWatch as anything more than that. Their actual evidence? None--only evidence that it exists. Will, Time Capsule also exists, and I love it, but there's no reason that lesser products shouldn't exist alongside the big game-changers.

dan110

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
'Merica
I can't see how Paul Deneve would be involved in this project from a technical/engineering standpoint as that's not his background. Maybe his role will be more around brand/markings/sales?

>>>>>>>>

They need a guy with high end fashion experience and sense. My take is the iWatch will cost around $250 or more for 4-8 GB and move on up from their. Someone is going to have to be able to position this in the marketplace without it looking stupid on people's wrists like those big ass expensive watches that were so popular about 5 to 10 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

bruinselmann

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
Germany
Apple has got some of the best engineers in the world. If this project was aiming at becoming anything like a conventional product, Apple wouldn't need to hire more talent.

So everyone who's condemning the "iWatch" already – hold your breath until you know the details.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.