Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand
What's you GPU?
If you have a HD4000, even a performance patch is not gonna help you, it's just not made for gaming. If you have a GT650M, yes, you'll need a performance patch.

Well its was completely playable under Windows on the HD 4000, hell I played it on the 9400M years ago, it was fine. Performance is probably 2-3x worse under OS X for no good reason. That fact some of Apple's highest end graphics cards still have issuses with the game a few years after release says something about the port. Now I'm not complaining and I get that Feral probably didn't think the patch would take this long (or the game would run so badly) so I think it's fine. Everything else they've done has been top notch!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Well its was completely playable under Windows on the HD 4000, hell I played it on the 9400M years ago, it was fine. Performance is probably 2-3x worse under OS X for no good reason. That fact some of Apple's highest end graphics cards still have issuses with the game a few years after release says something about the port. Now I'm not complaining and I get that Feral probably didn't think the patch would take this long (or the game would run so badly) so I think it's fine. Everything else they've done has been top notch!

Mafia 2 has been painful as the engine just does things in a way that seems to attract every driver performance hole imaginable. The next OS update should bring some respite. We know the performance is not to the standard of all our other games on certain cards and we have spent many weeks on the performance since the issue occurred but so far we have no magic bullet to fix the fps drops in certain areas.

If you contact support we can add you to the interested in a patch / beta list.

Edwin

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand
Mafia 2 has been painful as the engine just does things in a way that seems to attract every driver performance hole imaginable. The next OS update should bring some respite. We know the performance is not to the standard of all our other games on certain cards and we have spent many weeks on the performance since the issue occurred but so far we have no magic bullet to fix the fps drops in certain areas.

If you contact support we can add you to the interested in a patch / beta list.

Edwin

Curious to see if the 10.8.3 update did anything (they did add/update some minor Open GL extensions as well as some drivers I think). I hope Apple will be smart enough to fully incorporate 4+ with 10.9. Hopefully DP1 within the next few weeks!

dci

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
Edwin,
Is it ok that extras/benchmark always says I'm using intel hd graphics 4000 regardless of OS/gfxCardStatus settings? I have rMBP15 and obviously I want to use 650m for gaming.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I've been watching this thread for quite a while now. I'd like to play this game in OS X but I wonder how performance would be on my system. My system is a mid-2011 iMac 27" i5 3.1, 6970m GPU, 12 gigs RAM running 10.8.3. Would I be okay with this? I don't care about FPS measures within reason, just smooth performance in play. I think you just need a stable 30 FPS for that.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Edwin,
Is it ok that extras/benchmark always says I'm using intel hd graphics 4000 regardless of OS/gfxCardStatus settings? I have rMBP15 and obviously I want to use 650m for gaming.

Your MacBookPro has both cards and the game only displays one of them in the performance test but when playing your Mac will be using the 650M automatically.

dci

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
That's too bad, I thought maybe I can get a few fore FPS out of this wonderful game, bootcamp gives me twice as more FPS on the full resolution than OSX port on the half resolution...
Still, it's much better then rebooting every time.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
That's too bad, I thought maybe I can get a few fore FPS out of this wonderful game, bootcamp gives me twice as more FPS on the full resolution than OSX port on the half resolution...
Still, it's much better then rebooting every time.

We know Mafia 2's game engine is one of the least friendly in terms of getting performance it appears to have hit the jackpot of every driver performance issue possible on the Mac causing some areas to not be as fast as the PC by some margin.

We have spent a lot of engineering time investigating issues with the game post release and looking at why is can slowdown and what we can do to fix it or what driver bugs need fixing / improving. I don't have any news but rest assured we do know about the performance issues on some cards in Mafia 2.

We don't like our games having problems so we will keep investigating, that said Mafia 2 looks to be the trickiest game we have ported in the last few years in terms of performance so unlike our other games that we usually get patched quickly this has been more of an epic battle.

Edwin

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Just a note to say that on my iMac 3.4GHz mid-2011 with 6970HD card, I get good performance when switching off anti-aliasing.
I use:
V Sync - on
AA - off
Ani filtering - x8
Shadows - high
Ambient occ - off
Geometric detail - high.
Benchmark shows:
2560x1440 - 35 fps
1920x1080 - 44 fps
1600x900 - 51 fps.
Weird thing is that the benchmark says I'm using an Intel HD Graphics 3000!
I use 2560x1440 native as the 35 is good enough for me.
Great game, but I am suffering freezing like some other people here. Only solution is a hard reset of my iMac.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Weird thing is that the benchmark says I'm using an Intel HD Graphics 3000!

Your iMac actually has one just the OS never uses it, the game however does find it in the hardware and mistakenly says that is your card. Don't worry it is using your AMD card!

I am suffering freezing like some other people here. Only solution is a hard reset of my iMac.

If any of you has this issue please on reboot open Mafia to the pre game options panel and generate a sSupport Report and mail it in. If you do this straight after you reboot the support report will check your logs for any telltale issues in your system logs that will help isolate the issue. We know it is a bug in the OS graphics somewhere but the more information people send us the better we can track it down.

Edwin

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
Thats great Arnoz, what graphics card are you using?

Edwin
ALways forget the model, the one from the rMBP. But when I say great improvement, I mean from not playable to very enjoyable with all the settings to max and not a single lag.
Amazing how a firmware fix can do such a difference

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
ALways forget the model, the one from the rMBP. But when I say great improvement, I mean from not playable to very enjoyable with all the settings to max and not a single lag.
Amazing how a firmware fix can do such a difference

Well we have been working with Nvidia and Intel (the 15" and 13" rMBP gfx developers) to get a few things improved I am eally glad it made a big difference to your experience!

Edwin

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
Well we have been working with Nvidia and Intel (the 15" and 13" rMBP gfx developers) to get a few things improved I am eally glad it made a big difference to your experience!

Edwin
Thanks! And your support was top notch. And as a Zendesk employee it was awesome to see you're using our software :)

Last edited:

NostalgiaLane

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Might have to redownload it after hearing this.

Has the press version of the game been updated with the update?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Might have to redownload it after hearing this.

Has the press version of the game been updated with the update?

The performance issue that has been improved is not in the game but in the Mac drivers so all you need to get the improvements is update your OS to 10.8.3.

Edwin

anthonymelnikov

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
well I've bought the new MBA13 with integrated HD5000 and I wounder what's the best possible settings for it? I really wanna buy the game as I love it on my Xbox360, but could I get comfortable performance on native 1440x900?

anthonymelnikov

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
I've already seen some videos on YouTube and it doesn't really looks smooth :) maybe windows version could be better but.. btw since you've made this huge job with mafia 2 can you tell me is it theoretically possible to port the fist mafia to ios devices?

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
positive reviews? :| that game is horrible. especially if you've played mafia I and looking for a similar experience.
mediocre story line, short missions, very short play time - doesn't come close to the awesome story I had, nor the amount of fun.

oh, and you need to buy loads and loads of DLC to have more than 5 minutes of play time

JuanGarcia

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
This port sucks.

My rMBP results for windows and mac version:

- Mac: 1280x800, Low details, AA disabled, low shadows, Vsync disabled: 20-30 fps.

- Windows: 1980x1080, High Details, 16x anisotropic, High shadows, Phsysx enabled, Vsync enabled: 40-60 fps.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
oh, and you need to buy loads and loads of DLC to have more than 5 minutes of play time

FYI - The Mac version has all the DLC included from the start.

----------

This port sucks.

It is to a certain degree dependant on graphics cards and OS. Mafia 2 is slower on Nvidia cards than AMD card on the Mac due to a few driver issues hit during original development.

When the game was ported years ago certain features that allow the Windows version to run faster were not on the Mac causing a bigger delta than normal. It was however not as large as you mentioned. We are not proud of the performance difference on newer Macs like the Retina and if we can patch it to close the delta we will.

However this game is quite complex and hard to optimise in fact I would say it was harder to get performance than much bigger titles like Napoleon or BioShock.

That's not an excuse but I thought some background was needed to why Mafia 2 has a bigger delta compared to all our other Mac ports.

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.