Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
I like the new "Auxo style" multi tasking and closing of apps in iOS7 but it still requires you to close all apps manually. In jailbreak Auxo if you hold down it gives you an option to "close all apps". Is this not possible in iOS7 currently and do you think it will be implemented by release?

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
Except that there's no reason to close all apps in iOS.
And if you did really want to you could always just reboot.

Does this really close all apps? Because when I reboot my phone they are all open still in Multitasking

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Except that there's no reason to close all apps in iOS.
And if you did really want to you could always just reboot.

Rebooting to just close all apps? Wow, no thanks. This should take a second or few not minutes.

It's a simple feature to "unclutter" things when too many apps open. And maybe even improve battery life a bit.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Does this really close all apps? Because when I reboot my phone they are all open still in Multitasking

Multitasking doesn't show running apps -- it shows recently used apps.
They may or may not be running but after a reboot they will definitely not be.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Multitasking doesn't show running apps -- it shows recently used apps.
They may or may not be running but after a reboot they will definitely not be.

They still show in the multitasking UI following a reboot suggesting they're still running.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
It only suggests that if you mistakenly assume that the UI shows a list of runnng apps and it doesn't.
See the link above that explains things fully.

I don't assume that they're still running, because I know they're not. They're only frozen in the background. I guess I just worded it wrong above.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I thought that apps like twitter and Facebook will now periodically refresh if you use them often.

If you use those most frequently, yes. That's how I understand the new functionality. But the same principals apply. The "multitask" list is technically a "most recent" list and killing off the ones at the very end of it won't do much for you besides remove it from that list.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
This has been discussed before.

the iOS task switcher keeps a list of recently opened apps. It is not a list of running apps. As someone said if you restart your phone the list stays where it is.

Can you actually close an app that's not functioning properly? yes, usually the first 2 icons on the task switcher are open apps.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I don't assume that they're still running, because I know they're not. They're only frozen in the background. I guess I just worded it wrong above.

That's wrong too. Being in the task list doesn't imply anything about the apps running state other than when it was last used chronologically.
In any case, you are best off ignoring what is running in the background. The OS is designed to handle this for you. Manually killing apps may also result in issues from apps not being allow to gracefully terminate (like saving state). Under iOS7 this could impact the OS learning your usage patterns.
Admittedly there have been a few instances where application bugs have resulted in excessive background utilization.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They still show in the multitasking UI following a reboot suggesting they're still running.
Suggesting that they've recently been used, not necessarily that they are running (and not after a reboot).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sorry but that is an extreme option

I find close all handy, what's the problem in proposing this feature in iOS7?
It wouldn't be a bad feature to have, but doesn't seem like one Apple has added so far. The best you can do, aside from rebooting, is basically swipe away each app that appears there to "close" it, or essentially mostly get rid of it from the recently running apps list, so to say.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
It wouldn't be a bad feature to have, but doesn't seem like one Apple has added so far. The best you can do, aside from rebooting, is basically swipe away each app that appears there to "close" it, or essentially mostly get rid of it from the recently running apps list, so to say.

at least you can swipe 3 at a time :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
at least you can swipe 3 at a time :)
You can definitely do that. Although I'm still not sure if that's quicker than (in pre-iOS 7) rapidly tapping on the first app's minus badge to close all of the listed ones (since they would keep on shifting left as you close apps).

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
You can close multiple apps if you want to close three take three fingers on place them on the apps you want to close and swipe up. to the close the apps

Megakazbek

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
I find close all handy, what's the problem in proposing this feature in iOS7?
What do you find it handy for? iOS does everything automatically for you, and you should be happy that your apps always have resources they need, never unnecessarily waste CPU/memory/battery and you never have to manage them manually.
The problem in proposing such feature is that it would do almost nothing, because pretty much all apps you see in "multitasking" are already closed, and you see just a screenshot of what they looked like when they were open last time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.