Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I like....

• Apple (iOS) Maps

Votes: 130 49.6%
  • Google Maps

Votes: 132 50.4%

• Total voters

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
For me I find Apple Maps to be somewhat featureless. No avoidances, POI are pretty bad or non existent and I find the traffic to be better (still not perfect) with Google.

I don't really have trouble with navigation on either and I prefer Apple maps integration.

pizzafootbal

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
Apple, only because it's not 3rd party

If Google maps was a default app, it'd be my favorite. Both deliver about the same performance and reliability for me, so I can't complain.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
When I plan a route in Google maps, a large panel is blocking about 20% of my screen (iPad). Is there a way to view a route and hide this panel? Apple maps is better here, showing the whole route without a panel blocking my view.

I like street view on Google maps.

bletso

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
KY USA
I like the Apple voice directions. However, Apple maps doesn't always give the most direct route. Google maps did. (Back roads in north florida for example) It seems to reroute quite nicely.

iHailCaesar

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2013
I use Apple maps and haven't had an issue with them. All maps apps have some sort of issue though.

rezzo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
Chile
Easy question.

The street of my office doesn't exist in Apple Maps. (reported)
No problems with Waze, Google Maps, OSM...

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Apple maps give better directions whilst driving and the overall UI is clearer with better contrast of street names and buildings. The directions in front of the green / blue background are great because they look just like real direction signs it makes it easier when driving.

But Google maps has better information, places, POI, reviews. Just not as good UI when in a car and the spoken directions can be a bit late -- for example not telling me what exit to take on a roundabout until I've entered the roundabout.

Both are missing stuff, like speed cameras locations, speed on a lane and spoken directions could be improved - for example it could say take a left at the roundabout, and then stay on the right lane for a right turn in x miles.

Apple has better UI and spoken directions; Google has better information.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Google maps are far better detailed and looking but the satellite view is 7 years out of date in my area.
Why can they not update the satellite view?
Hate apple maps and yelp.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Google maps, as I simply don't trust Apple Maps with taking me to the right place when I am outside of major metro area. As others pointed out, Apple Maps has a slightly more pleasant nav interface, but data accuracy is what matters in a maps app.

I may give Apple map another chance in a year or two, for now - it's buried in a holder and off my home screen.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
I wish Apple was speedier about acting on user-submitted map corrections.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year

Of course it took 80%, it's the default, included map app. Most people may not even notice that it's different than the included app in iOS 5.

That being said, I'm using Apple Maps at the moment. I really do prefer google, but I decided that I'd give the built in app a chance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.