Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I like it. Much better than the original scene. I'm a photographer who does some still life and the original bugged me because of the bright object in the upper right. It's all about the composition and you've cropped just about the right amount of non-subject supporting objects.

But have you considered brightening up the blacks a bit? However you do that in your program. I'm missing some detail in what is probably beautiful and interesting surfaces.

Brought out more shadow detail. Made the hot spot deeper on the cigarette, tweaked sharpness of ice cubes.

Attachments

• Newest Final Cary805.jpg
    Newest Final Cary805.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 246

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Wow, looks awesome!

What programme do you use and can you recommend anything for a beginner at 3D modelling? Obviously it won't be nearly as detailed as the one you posted, but anything to get started on the right track? Thanks :)

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Wow, looks awesome!

What programme do you use and can you recommend anything for a beginner at 3D modelling? Obviously it won't be nearly as detailed as the one you posted, but anything to get started on the right track? Thanks :)

I use Lightwave 3D. Don't know much about beginner packages, but you can download Blender for free! It's a very powerful package, and it won't cost you one cent!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Wow, looks awesome!

Silo2 is available for $29 on Steam right now. I personally never used it but everyone I know who has loves its modeling tools.

Blender is free and does more than Silo but its UI is atrocious and it has a serious lack of tutorials (although that has been changing and there are many more tutoritals out there than there were.)

I would go with Silo2, learn modeling and modeling theory, then you can import your geometry that you create into Blender and learn rendering, texturing, etc.

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
The ashtray needs to be turned about 35 degrees clockwise. If someone were standing at the view location, they wouldn't pick up or put down the cigarette at that angle.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Looks great! The glass looks fantastic.

I think that maybe all that's left is the last 5% of grunging things up and what not. Add some scratches, dirt etc. to some of the stuff, some greasy smudges to the glass, some liquid dripped in the table, etc.

If it's a still, perhaps a lot of that can be done in Photoshop. Maybe a bit of depth of field, some grain, and some chromatic aberration as well. Renders usually come out of 3D looking perfect, but real cameras and lenses don't produce perfect images, so it has to be torn up a bit to look as realistic as possible.

I've never taken the time to add so much detail to a still render, though, so if you can do that, you'll be far ahead of anything I've ever made!

Nice work!

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
My question is what is this render. Is it just a still life render you have done for fun. Is it a portfolio piece for you. Is it a marketing piece for the unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.