Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eggsaladjunkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
I have been getting "empty" downloads of compressed files when I try to download to my iMac (Intel Core 2 Duo) running OS X 10.4.11.

The "Downloads" window will show the download process very briefly, then go completely blank. When I try to open the download, it doesn't work--there's nothing there.

This happens with compressed attachments sent to me via e-mail as well:
I get a blank icon on the Desktop, where my downloads are sent.
If I double-click on the blank icon it will produce a new, separate "CPGZ" icon, but if I double-click THAT, nothing opens and it creates another "CPGZ" icon, etc. etc. to infinity.

When I right click any icon of a download and go to "Open With" it shows the default is "BOMArchiveHelper" which is no help at all.

(I'm also having trouble getting web pages to print directly-- I have to save to a PDF or TIFF or JPEG and print from that. Perhaps this is related?):(

eggsaladjunkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
What type of files are being downloaded? Is there a chance they are only windows compatible files?

Thanks for replying. I can't tell if they're Windows files or no, since I can't open them. I have had no problem opening attachments such as PDF or photos, etc. that are sent from Windows PCs, so I doubt that's the problem.

The problem is opening anything that is in a "CPGZ" format. Or, more to the point, receiving a "CPGZ" encoded document at all, other than being able to produce the icon by opening the "Blank" icon that appears on my desktop after initial "download." I put download in quotations because I doubt anything has actually been downloaded. When I open the CPGZ icon, it simply creates another icon, etc. etc. to infinity and beyond.

eggsaladjunkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
I found this thread from a while back that should help you out.

TyPod

THAT thread addresses the exact issue I am having. Thanks. It would've taken me forever to find it. Now I just have to find one of the recommendations on the thread that works for me.

eggsaladjunkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
I found this thread from a while back that should help you out.

Typod,

Just an update of my last post on that thread:

I HAVE A SOLUTION:-
The problem is NOT with the file itself but with Stuffit Expander, and the version you are using to unstuffit.

The way to open your .ZIP, .RAR files, is to re-install an older version of Stuffit.

I have 15.0 installed at the moment. I re-installed 10.0.2 it still didn't open, I then re-installed 8.0.2 and it worked. Job done.

Obviously some files had been compressed using the older version.

I downloaded the older Stuffit from:-
http://www.stuffit.com/mac-stuffit-download.html

Hope it works for you.

OK, I did that. Now when I use the Stuffit Expander I get a FOLDER named "slsx folder". Inside the folder among other folders, is a document called [Content_Types].xml. This is identified in "Get Info" as an "Omni Outliner" document that naturally won't open.

What's the SIMPLE solution to this, other than just throwing away the computer, which is most tempting.

It is only the most basic function in the world for a networked computer to be able to download and open attachments!

WHAT IS UP WITH THIS? It smells like someone is trying to sell something.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I understand your frustration, super unfortunate. As for me, that's all I can really find for ya. If Stuffit Expander doesn't work, I don't know what will. Maybe have the sender re-send the files to you or something and try again.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Do you know what the file was compressed with and what it was supposed to contain? It seems to me that if you used stuffit successfully and have now got a folder containing some files, then that's what the archive contained.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.