Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtprkr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Hello, hopefully some of you will be so kind to help me, if at all possible. I have a dedicated home theater with a projector and 110 inch screen. I've found that I can download a customized splash screen (with family theater name) in MP4 format. I would like to show this 10second file before all my movies start. How can I combine this file along with the movies to play on my AppleTv (using iTunes) in continuous motion without a large visual interruption?? Would setting up a seperate playlist for every movie have to been done? I use Handbrake and MKV for all my movies.

Thanks,
dtprkr

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Hello, hopefully some of you will be so kind to help me, if at all possible. I have a dedicated home theater with a projector and 110 inch screen. I've found that I can download a customized splash screen (with family theater name) in MP4 format. I would like to show this 10second file before all my movies start. How can I combine this file along with the movies to play on my AppleTv (using iTunes) in continuous motion without a large visual interruption?? Would setting up a seperate playlist for every movie have to been done? I use Handbrake and MKV for all my movies.

Thanks,
dtprkr

I was going to say you'd have to merge the starter to each movie you have, but a playlist might work. Arduous though. A playlist for every movie? Wow. I'd be cracking 2000 playlists to do that.

Nonetheless, you could also tell iTunes where to start playing each movie also, reducing the lead up to it actually starting, and hence reducing any gap between your promo footage and the movie.

Also, every time you wanted to play a movie, you'd have to enter the playlist and start playing the promo footage first. A lot of clicking when you think this is for every movie.

A more seamless result would be to merge the promo and the movie into one file. A lot of work. But if that were the case, i think I'd use mp4tools to do it.

dtprkr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Thank you for your reply. I'm gonna take a look at mp4tools to see what the process is like. I probably wouldn't do my entire library of movies, just my favorite ones that I use to show off my theater.

Thanks again,
Dtprkr

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
It could but extremely slow.

If the movies & intro promo are already h264, I think mo4tools will stitch them together fairly quickly. Haven't done it mind you, but it doesn't re transcode the files. I think the longest watt would be the stitching/writing of the file. IMovie is a dog for speed unless your playing with small files, not a 2 hr movie. That I have tried.

dtprkr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Yes. I've tried iMovie also, very long wait time. I watched some youtube
videos that showed that it can be done with Quicktime 7. The Quicktime player that I have on my iMac is version 10.2., and its updated as the latest
version. I need to look more in depth at getting the Quicktime 7.

eecyclone

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Did you try the playlist idea? It wouldn't be too bad to use the playlist method if you knew you were going to watch a specific movie beforehand and you could set up a playlist "Feature Presentation" or something along those lines. That would be much less work than creating a playlist for each movie or putting an intro into each movie when you only want to watch the intro part when you have guests over.

Also, where did you find/how did you make your intro? I have thought about doing the same thing for myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.