Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy a new cylinder style Mac Pro

• Yes, I love it, this is all I need

Votes: 86 55.5%
  • No, I hate it, its just a big mac mini

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • No, I need a way to keep it all my components in one box

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • No, I hate extra cables and power supply on my desk from extra components

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • No, see my explanation below

Votes: 24 15.5%

• Total voters

MattDSLR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
Canada
The new mac pro bugs me so I figure I will start a poll.
No need to post here just post your response in the poll.
I do not know what the results from this poll will be, i'm just interested to find out what it is the overall thought about the New Mac Pro
THX
and please no bashing on here or fighting, lets keep the responses I like this and I do not like this

THX :)

For me I hate it (I know hate is a strong word but, from experience I had so much problems with external drives like Droboos and Lacie drives slowing down my mac pros I decided not to use external drives anymore and than this new mac pro came out with no internal drives, no blu ray or no way of upgrading chip or video card. not being able to add extra a solid state drive or two I know 3.5" may be pushing but asking for 2.5" slots its not to much to ask

I just hope apple will read this and maybe give us a a companion box that will do all that for us, for no cost to us :)
or a low cost :)

but if you like this new MAC Pro tell us what will you use it for,

THX

Last edited:

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
No.

For what I need a mac pro for, the nmp would be too expensive and too limited. I need sas, i need internal raid array, i need cuda...

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
I think its early to assume there will not be an Nvidia option.. dual titan, quardo, or 780, 670 potentially etc

Apple wants to promote openCL.. and perhaps got a great price on FireGL parts. So AMD got the plug. Heck I'd probably rather have a 7970 instead of a W7000, maybe even a W9000. I'm not sayin' there will be a whole smorgasbord of theres short cards that fit in the nMP but I'm gonna hope there will be 3 options.

Last edited:

mikeishi

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2007
The explanations are going to bias the poll. Nothing in between love and hate? What if you are going to buy it, but only because you need to out of necessity even though you don't like some things about it? What if you're going to buy it, but you'll still need to use external extensions (but you like/don't mine external extensions)? Don't expect good poll results. You might want to consider making it a "yes" or "no" (or a "yes," "probably yes," "probably no," and "no") and people can reply with their reasons.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
No. I'm currently selling my Mac Pro and no longer need the power of a Mac Pro anyways. I'm going to transition to a Mac mini / rMBP combination instead. Even if the performance was amazing and reasonably priced, I'm leaving behind my Mac Pro obsession!

infanticide101

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
Illnois
I honestly don't understand it, but I have a feeling it's going to be something big and a lot of people will buy it, but maybe even be disappointed.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
If your needs are flexible, then the fast-approaching Haswell iMac seems like a mature quality product in comparison to a gamble like the new Pro.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
I think its early to assume there will not be an Nvidia option.. dual titan, quardo, or 780, 670 potentially etc

Apple wants to promote openCL.. and perhaps got a great price on FireGL parts. So AMD got the plug. Heck I'd probably rather have a 7970 instead of a W7000, maybe even a W9000. I'm not sayin' there will be a whole smorgasbord of theres short cards that fit in the nMP but I'm gonna hope there will be 3 options.

HAs apple ever offer both brands on a single plateform. I don't mean after market. In my business i can't take the chance that maybe they offer one or not down the road. The software we use cost upward of $15k per licences and depends on cuda.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Absolutely Not. I just sold my Mac Pro 3,1 and bought a 5,1 which will serve me for a few years to come. The non-expandability and lack of customability was a non starter for me. I'm very happy with my new machine, except for the lack of Thunderbolt. We'll see how much of an issue this will be in the future.

Lou

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
I went from a Mac Pro to an iMac back in 2009. While my iMac has served us well, I'd consider going back to a Mac Pro but I'd have to see more on the specs before I decide. Either way, I'm getting something new next summer.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Will buy, if.....

a)Price is asequible
b)Expansion options are affordable
c) Get a improvemente in meaningful benchmarks of 25% at least over current generation....

:):apple:

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
No....

Not in the foreseeable future.

1. My workflow requires CUDA.
2. I like my desk neat and uncluttered. I hate tangles of wires.
3. I don't like paying for extras that used to be included.
4. Looks like a bad joke of a Pro computer.

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Of course i'll buy one.
Not that i need it, but i'll buy (almost) everything apple releases. I'm such a sheep, lol.:eek:

Last edited:

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
No, because it forces me to handicap my x8 RAID card to x4 by putting it into a TB enclosure for an extra $800.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
First let me say that I voted that I would get one, but it is dependent on price and how Mavericks looks. I'm still using SL, because Spaces works better for me than Mission Control, but Mavericks' multi-monitor support might make MC bearable. The poll just didn't have a "Maybe" option.

For me the new Mac Pro looks good. I've always looked at the Pros since I often push the limits of my computer with video conversion and other apps, but wasn't sure I had the space for the tower. The new Pro's footprint would fit nicely for the space that I have. For me it's easier to make space for externals, than for 1 big tower.

I do hope that Apple will consider, will relabel the New Mac Pro as the Mac Pro Mini, and offer the same hardware in a tower format for those that want it.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
If money permits, I would love to have one! The Pixar/Foundry demo had me sold. (Anyone not impressed doesn't know what they were looking at...)

I don't mind needing external devices, thats not an issue for me. What I absolutely LOVE is how small it is! I can sneak it to work with me and do all my ZBrush, Modo, Mari, Realflow, Houdini, Maya, etc that I love to do all day long at work! (I can only currently get away with ZBrush, Modo, and Maya at work since I use my Air).

The design is kind of ugly but I bet I'll like it when I see it in person, or at least not think its as ugly. Its really powerful though and people who have used it all love the thing so I'm pretty much sold.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Probably not.
Some of the biggest advantages of a Mac Pro to me are now gone.

If it comes in a much lower price point than the previous generation I may reconsider.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Dependent on price, but our pro-software has caught up finally with Mutli-core and OpenCL goodness so a machine like this can deliver value above the top iMac. Without the bulk and wasted features of the current. With staff roll down they should be productive for 5years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.