Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Anyone have it? Is it any good ?

I have chance to pick up the wii u starter pack version + 2 booster packs (3 characters in each pack) + 3 giant characters + 3 extra characters all for €65 (don't ask me how) which is ridiculously cheap but is it actually any good. I know its a kid game at heart but have read there is a hard and a hardcore mode.

But is it an enjoyable game, reviews seem ok but would prefer the opinions of folks here :)

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I haven't played Giants yet as it's been put away for Xmas.

However, I played through all of the original with my son and had a great time. It's not the deepest gaming experience ever, but it certainly is good fun. I expect Giants to be more of the same and that's no bad thing.

Considering the deal you're getting, I'd go for it. You shouldn't have to buy many extra characters or any at all if you have all the elements covered. You'll certainly get 50 quid's worth of entertainment out of it, if you want to look at it that way. I also had a bit of a mission finding the Wii U version of the starter pack too, so I wouldn't pass on the opportunity.

:apple:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yep I'm going for it :) I checked and bascially every element force was covered in what I'm getting. No prism characters though.

Way I see it, with that many additional characters, even if I hate it - should be able to resell it on and more than cover my initial cost.

Might buy the original on PS3 if I like it, as I know a lot of the new characters work on the old version (albeit in their old form, minus the giants and the prism characters obviously).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So I got this today...

First impressions, OMG I need to build a shelf rack.

16 characters in total (just 29 more to collect ;) ) including the 3 that came with the giants starter pack.

Haven't had chance to fully play the game yet, but really like how the portal changes color. Very fancy.

(Also picked up Epic Mickey 2)

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
My boys got the game and one character three pack for Christmas, and then a couple of additional characters with gifted money. So far it's not too bad, I'll even play a bit, although I hate how slow the giants are.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My boys got the game and one character three pack for Christmas, and then a couple of additional characters with gifted money. So far it's not too bad, I'll even play a bit, although I hate how slow the giants are.

Just need to get a hat with speed modifier. :)

Yep I'm really enjoying the game, even went and bought Skylanders on PS3 (game disc only) and iOS portal on ebay for Skylanders : Battlegrounds so that I could utilise the characters in more than one game...

I've got all the giants released so far and prism characters, and in total 24 characters and I've had the game less than a month :eek: seriously I must be mad!!!!

There's something about the game that appeals to my OCD side :)

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
Awesome :D Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

We finally managed to get all 37 characters from the original game: 32 normal ones, plus Dark Spyro and the four Legendaries. I honestly never thought I'd get the triple pack of Legendary Spyro, Chop Chop and Bash as I passed on it when Toys R Us had their initial Xmas 2011 delivery. Since then people have been hawking it on ebay for a silly amount of money. However.... one year later I go to get a present for my daughter's best friend, first week of December, and there's three of the Legendary triple packs sat on the shelf. I honestly couldn't believe it, and nor could my son.

As for the sequel, we have all five of the Giants that are out so far, plus the variations of Legendary Bouncer and Granite Crusher. I also made sure I picked up all four of the normal sized Legendary characters straight away this time! We only have one Light-Core so far and that's the Prism Break that I got for myself :cool: As for the rest of the normal sized figures, we're on about six of the new ones, and eight or nine out of the 24 rerelease.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah I just picked up Dark Spyro for €9 which seems like a bargain :D

Looking forward to Eye Brawl, Thump Back giants too.

There's definitely something compulsive about collecting them. God help me when Disney infinity releases :D

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I've been saying for the past year that Skylanders was just the beginning, although I must admit I didn't see this coming from Disney. In fact, I'm quite surprised that Giants stood alone this past Xmas as the only interactive toy/game. I'm sure that'll change over the coming year and there'll be a few out for this Xmas.

From what Disney have shown so far, it looks really interesting, and more than just a Disney, um...., Landers blatant cash-in. Can't wait to see more of it closer to release and the figures themselves.

As far as I'm aware, Rayman for the Wii U is still going to have some interactive figures. I saw a demo video last year that featured a heart figure and one of the Rabbids that worked with the controller's NFC.

So, what toys do you reckon they'll start shoving microchips in next? Please, please don't let it be Moshi Monsters.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
My initial thought on Infinity was merely 'Meh.' I hadn't planned on purchasing Swap Force either. Once my wife and daughter started paying Skylanders, it appears I'll be purchasing them both.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My initial thought on Infinity was merely 'Meh.' I hadn't planned on purchasing Swap Force either. Once my wife and daughter started paying Skylanders, it appears I'll be purchasing them both.

I ended up with 48 skylanders figures and realised they were just taking up shelf space so decided ok I'll trade thm all into Gamestop.

Sadly the money I got for them was 'pitiful' compared to how much they cost initially. So much so I won't be going down that route anytime soon again....

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I ended up with 48 skylanders figures and realised they were just taking up shelf space so decided ok I'll trade thm all into Gamestop.

Sadly the money I got for them was 'pitiful' compared to how much they cost initially. So much so I won't be going down that route anytime soon again....

I'm up to 13 with only 2 duplicates. I don't plan on purchasing any additional giants. I'm only gonna purchase series 1&2 so I can use them when I finally get the first skylanders. It ends up I really only need an s1/s2 life figure and I will have them all compatable with the first one.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Through a series of miscommunications and other nonsense, I now have Spyro's Adventure and Giants for boh the PS3 and XBOX360. I have a total of 4 portals now, too. Yet with all the duplication, I am still short a life and magic series two. :(

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Through a series of miscommunications and other nonsense, I now have Spyro's Adventure and Giants for boh the PS3 and XBOX360. I have a total of 4 portals now, too. Yet with all the duplication, I am still short a life and magic series two. :(

Lol, I even e fed up buying a Bluetooth portal on ebay to use for the iPad skylanders games.... Must admit there is something terrifying about how quickly I became addicted to collecting them..... :)

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Lol, I even e fed up buying a Bluetooth portal on ebay to use for the iPad skylanders games.... Must admit there is something terrifying about how quickly I became addicted to collecting them..... :)

I'm trying to not spend the $20 on series 2 life and magic figures. If I have to though, that's it until swap force. I was reading about the swap force movement classes and it looks as if you can get all eight elements and movements on only eight figures if you plan it right.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
So far it looks like LightCore Hex is tied into the Swap Force pre-order, which I have, but I'm sure she'll be available at retail. The pre-order version will probably just have 'Not For Resale' or something similar on or around the barcode area.

Other than LC Hex, we just need LC PopFizz, LC Chill and regular S2 Drobot to comple the Giants set. I know those three have been released so we'll go for a trip to Toys R Us as it's my boy's birthday next week anyway. If Gnarly Tree Rex or Punch PopFizz become available separately, or I come across a Royal Ninjini, then I'll get them, but other that those variations, we're done.

Bring on the Swap Force :eek:

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
So far it looks like LightCore Hex is tied into the Swap Force pre-order, which I have, but I'm sure she'll be available at retail. The pre-order version will probably just have 'Not For Resale' or something similar on or around the barcode area.

Other than LC Hex, we just need LC PopFizz, LC Chill and regular S2 Drobot to comple the Giants set. I know those three have been released so we'll go for a trip to Toys R Us as it's my boy's birthday next week anyway. If Gnarly Tree Rex or Punch PopFizz become available separately, or I come across a Royal Ninjini, then I'll get them, but other that those variations, we're done.

Bring on the Swap Force :eek:

Have you been able to get the LC to work on Spyro's Adventure? Activision says it doesn't work, but I've seen several reports of them working if there is am S1 character.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Have you been able to get the LC to work on Spyro's Adventure? Activision says it doesn't work, but I've seen several reports of them working if there is am S1 character.

I used a couple of light core characters on the original Spyo - it just recognises them as the standard non light core version. I used Drobot, Eruptor etc....

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I used a couple of light core characters on the original Spyo - it just recognises them as the standard non light core version. I used Drobot, Eruptor etc....

I took a picture to show my collection after a week, but a buddy of mine purchased a 3-pack of S2 characters for me so I need to reake it. My total into it is still less than $100, so I'm doing pretty good.

I'm getting my LC Hex for preordering swap force. With chill, htat will give me two for each element in giants. I'll only be short a water in Spyro's adventure if hex works. I'm trying to do some trades so I have two S2 for each element. As long as I do it right for swap force, that will give me 3 of each element plus one each movement for swap force.

Edit: new photo revealing my sins.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 163
Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
In prep for the holidays, Toys R Us set up huge displays for Skylanders and Disney.

Looking at the demo screens, Skylanders looks like Mario 64 or Gauntlet Dark Legacy type of game - is that what it is? I like those games, would I enjoy Skylanders?

What console is it best on?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Thing is with Giants is that it was basically a port of the Wii game so it wasn't pushing ps3, 360 or wii u. Essentially you got a wii game at 1080p but with occasional screen tearing too.

I enjoyed it, but apparently SwapForce has been properly designed with HD consoles in mind, so it should see noticeable improvement over Giants and the original...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.