Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As announced last week, Google has begun rolling out a revamped version of its Maps app for iOS, adding support for the larger screen of the iPad, enhanced navigation features, and a new Explore feature.

Google Maps 2.0 for iOS includes both live traffic updates and incident reports that offer details on current traffic conditions. Unlike the Android version of the app, it does not include on-the-fly rerouting, but Google has said that it plans to add the feature in the future. The new version of Maps also offers indoor directions and maps for malls, airports, transit stations, and more.

maps1-800x585.png
Explore, which was first introduced at Google I/O earlier this year, offers users a way to discover nearby businesses and restaurants. It incorporates Zagat ratings and deals through integration with Google Offers.

maps2-800x584.png
The old version of Google Maps has been removed from the App Store, and while the revamped version is available in several countries in Asia at the current point in time, it is not expected to be available in the U.S. until later. As noted by 9to5Mac, however, the app can be acquired immediately by deleting the old app and re-downloading it from iCloud.

Update: Google Maps can now be downloaded from the U.S. App Store.

Article Link: Redesigned Google Maps App with iPad Support and Explore Feature Hits the App Store

mshahnoora

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
Yes!
But honestly, I'm accustomed to the Apple Maps app now too; it has greatly improved since its inception.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Tip: The app doesn't have to be removed from the device! I just went to "Purchased" section of the App Store and browsed to the Apps starting with "G" and found an "Update" button next to Google Maps.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Yes!
But honestly, I'm accustomed to the Apple Maps app now too; it has greatly improved since its inception.

Same here.

And the lack of Siri and deep iOS integration is a deal breaker for other mapping solutions.

I'm digging my Apple maps.

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Why on Google Earth did it take so long to release iPad support?

Unlike the Android version of the app, it does not include on-the-fly rerouting, but Google has said that it plans to add the feature in the future.
Maybe eventually. They've not been too prompt to date.

I tend to use Apple maps for most things, except when I need walking or mass transit directions. Google still seems to be more accurate with traffic information too-- or maybe they're equally random and I just find the Google version more familiar.

What I don't like is that Google Maps seems to keep updating position even when I'm not using it for guidance-- so I have to remember to kill the app when I'm done.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Apple maps has something Google does not... it makes you laugh. 40% of the times the address is wrong, it takes me to the wrong place or will not find nor interpret the address right. It is very tricky/ risky.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Apple maps has something Google does not... it makes you laugh. 40% of the times the address is wrong, it takes me to the wrong place or will not find nor interpret the address right. It is very tricky/ risky.

Well how can you blame Apple Maps? It likes to *think different*.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I'm shocked, shocked, that a major feature Google adds happens to tie into their advertising-based revenue stream.

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
Great update! <3 Love it! I think I'm going to replace Apple Maps with Google Maps finally. (Apple Maps failed me the other day..) one down side of Google Maps is that it doesnt run in the background unlike Apple Maps. Thats a thing I wish it could do so I can do other stuff on my device than have just that app open when its giving me directions. But thats just my opinion.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Great update! <3 Love it! I think I'm going to replace Apple Maps with Google Maps finally. (Apple Maps failed me the other day..) one down side of Google Maps is that it doesnt run in the background unlike Apple Maps. Thats a thing I wish it could do so I can do other stuff on my device than have just that app open when its giving me directions. But thats just my opinion.

From my experience, the Google Maps app continues to push directions even when it's closed by the home button.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Wasn't the 3D flyovers supposed to be built into it rather than requiring the separate Google Earth app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.