Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Multiple choice

• Quad-core A7, much better GPU

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • More RAM (like 2 GB)

Votes: 43 65.2%
  • Much more battery (like 2000 mAh)

Votes: 51 77.3%
  • Connectivity (LTE-a, Wifi-ac, NFC)

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Fingerprint scanner

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • Better build quality (less scratch-prone)

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • Better camera with dual flash

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • Slightly redesigned, thinner

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I personally hope it has more RAM (like 2GB) so Safari Tabs won't reload so often. I'd love to see more battery juice (like 2000 mAh) unlike 1560 mAh as rumoured. Hello, S4 lasts for a day and a half now.

And if the camera is not improved (to 13 MP maybe) and there's no dual flash, I might skip 5S (yes, I'm looking at Nokia 1020 and Sony Honami with 41MP & 20MP cameras). Also, the build quality must be improved, I have a white and black 5 and both have visible scratches and dents though I haven't dropped them and I'm relatively careful with my devices.

All other improvements are welcomed, but don't matter to me much. I honestly don't care if it has LTE-a, or wifi-ac, nfc or fingerprint scanner.

Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
It would take an exceptional upgrade to make me switch from my iP5. I would like:

• All-day battery life
  • Slow motion camera
  • Dual flash
  • More RAM
  • Better front facing camera
  • Better low light photos
  • Fingerprint scanner for unlocking device
  • Lots of exclusive 5S software feature

And then I'd consider upgrading :p

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Better battery life
Better antennas for cell esp.
More ram
Better cameras

I would also like a wider phone. I'm not keen on the tall thin iphone5 design.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Well done putting;

Better build quality (less scratch-prone)

as one of the options.

If they continue to pursue that extra profit rather than addressing this, I won't be buying one no matter what new "SuperFeature" it has.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Well done putting;

as one of the options.

If they continue to pursue that extra profit rather than addressing this, I won't be buying one no matter what new "SuperFeature" it has.

What would you suggest in "build quality" to make it more scratch resistant?
Not build quality but they could put your phone in cheap hard plastic that wouldn't scratch but would you want that? This is a device you put in and out of pockets, cases - pick up, put down, etc. and you want it to not ever scratch - and that is a reason to buy a new phone. If it had 27 new great features but still scratched you wouldn't buy it?

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
What would you suggest in "build quality" to make it more scratch resistant? . . . . This is a device you put in and out of pockets, cases - pick up, put down, etc. and you want it to not ever scratch . . .

If you read Apple's iPhone 5 web pages which still talk about the precision craftsmanship of a fine watch etc you are left with the impression they want you to have, that this is a prestige product available at a price.

For me it's quite simple. They went for a cheapened, lower quality of aluminium anodization for profit reasons.

Of course I don't expect it to never scratch, that's ridiculous, but barring accidents and poor handling, everyone should be able to get at least 6 months to a year of it in near prisitine condition.

If they'd gone for a greater hardcoat anodization they would have produced a far more durable phone, more appropriate for everyday normal usage.

Hopefully they'll apply this with the 5S.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What would you suggest in "build quality" to make it more scratch resistant?
Not build quality but they could put your phone in cheap hard plastic that wouldn't scratch but would you want that? This is a device you put in and out of pockets, cases - pick up, put down, etc. and you want it to not ever scratch - and that is a reason to buy a new phone. If it had 27 new great features but still scratched you wouldn't buy it?

Better/different coating or process.

I have a Xoom with a much more durable coating, no reason Apple can't do it.

Coating aluminum and anodize finishes can be incredibly durable. I carried an aluminum framed M4 rifle for 4 years through terrible environments with barely a scratch. Granted the thickness of the aluminum matters but there are stronger finishes available. I've duracoated aluminum things at home and its all near indestructible, granted its not as pretty as the iPhone is but like I said I did it at home.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
. . . I carried an aluminum framed M4 rifle for 4 years through terrible environments with barely a scratch. Granted the thickness of the aluminum matters but there are stronger finishes available . . .

Absolutely and with anodization you can achieve a much better strength with fractions of millimetres.

sando88

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
Bulgaria
There are tons of stuff that we users would like to see,but for me the most important thing that comes to my mind is a battery with bigger capacity which would result in a much better battery life especially if the new phone comes with IGZO display.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Better/different coating or process.

I have a Xoom with a much more durable coating, no reason Apple can't do it.

Coating aluminum and anodize finishes can be incredibly durable. I carried an aluminum framed M4 rifle for 4 years through terrible environments with barely a scratch. Granted the thickness of the aluminum matters but there are stronger finishes available. I've duracoated aluminum things at home and its all near indestructible, granted its not as pretty as the iPhone is but like I said I did it at home.

So you mean design quality. Build quality would relate to how it is put together and not the materials it is made of. It scratches - it is a utility device and not a piece of jewelry. I really don't care if it scratches.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I want a sensor that forces the user to look up and straight ahead when another person is approaching on a sidewalk.

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Personally, I'm tired of Apple "S" iPhone releases. They never bring anything substantially new and have the same old and tired design of their none "S" predecessors.
What I would like to see is totally redesigned iPhone 6 instead, with bigger edge to edge screen.
If Apple will release 5S, it will flop big time, regardless of additional features.
Let's see if Apple can still innovate (my ass)...

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
why do people want more RAM? RAM is a battery hog AND the iPhone 5 has plenty of it, I never get "Page Outs" or dropped Safari pages.

onirocdarb

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2013
i voted for everything.... why would i not want more/better/faster?
Realistically, I think we will only see a better processor, ac wifi, and an improved camera.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Bigger screen (and not just taller). Real TV-out like the 4S and earlier had, rather than the AirPlay-based system that the 5 uses. A 128 GB model wouldn't go amiss either.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
why do people want more RAM? RAM is a battery hog AND the iPhone 5 has plenty of it, I never get "Page Outs" or dropped Safari pages.
Ehh? Where did you get that idea? RAM is one of the least power hungry components in the iPhone.

That said, I personally don't see a need for 2GB in a 5/5S.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Personally, I'm tired of Apple "S" iPhone releases. They never bring anything substantially new and have the same old and tired design of their none "S" predecessors.
What I would like to see is totally redesigned iPhone 6 instead, with bigger edge to edge screen.
If Apple will release 5S, it will flop big time, regardless of additional features.
Let's see if Apple can still innovate (my ass)...

I'd hardly call an exterior that is 1 year old "tired". iPhone 5 has been out for less than 10 months. Most iPhones I see people using are 4/4S devices.

The 4S was a big step up from the 4. Much faster CPU with dual core, HSDPA+, much better camera. The 4S handily outsold the 4 from what I can remember. It was a better device in numerous ways and had far more performance headroom.

I doubt that the 5S will flop, but I do think there could be reduced interest if the rumored plastic color iPhones surge in popularity.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Needs a different screen to have relevancy into 2014. The iPhone 5 screen would have been cool for the 4S. The size feels a year behind. Even though people keep saying they like the size, it's just not modern enough. We don't need S4 or Note 2 big, but we need the next big thing, and the current size is not the next big thing.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
So you mean design quality. Build quality would relate to how it is put together and not the materials it is made of. It scratches - it is a utility device and not a piece of jewelry. I really don't care if it scratches.

I didn't say design or build quality. I was responding to another post. I don't have a 5 and I agree I also don't care how much your phone gets scratched. :confused:

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
2GB of RAM
A7 processor optimized for battery life
33% minimum improvement in overall battery life
4.3" screen

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
There's only one thing that would make me upgrade to the 5S and that's 128GB storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.