Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Yes, please.

Unfortunately, I would think we've got at least a month to go. Releasing it too close to the Logic release would be a waste of free publicity. Release it in August to make a splash between Logic and the fall releases.

It's a been a quiet year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see something coming monthly for the next while to capitalize on the news cycle.

June - WWDC / iOS 7 & Mavericks Preview
July - Logic
August - Aperture
September - iPhone, etc.
October - Mac Pro

& so on.

Last edited:

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Still waiting eh?

Speaking for myself, not really. I stopped using Aperture seriously a year or two ago. I use it now for Photo Stream and my iPhone pictures because I find it quicker/easier to work with than iPhoto.

I much prefer the Aperture interface but Lightroom 5 is light years ahead in features and will be hard to beat. I'm very curious to see what they come up with and how it will compare.

If it is even in the same ballpark as Lightroom, my interest is piqued.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Still waiting eh?

Nah, I don't expect many people are "waiting". We might be "hoping". Life and images pass you by if you wait. I get on with making images with Aperture+Nik+other plugins and PS (as needed), throwing in C1, DXO (again, as needed) . It's a great, great setup for me.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I hope the new Aperture uses the dark interface as well. Most of my apps I use have that and I like it so much better. Aperture is pretty bright on an LED monitor.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I wonder if Apple are seeing Adobe's move to subscriptions as an opportunity to revamp their pro apps. Dreams of iPhotoshop...

edubya

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
Aperture is better than I thought

I've used Lightroom for about three years and have just switched to Aperture in lieu of upgrading to LR 5. Aperture handles Fuji's RAF files better than LR and has far more features than I realized when I first checked it out a couple years ago. I had to resort to a tutorial to unlock the program for my slow brain, I'm ashamed to admit, but I'm pretty happy now. I use Pixelmator for layers and such.

All of that said, of course I'd love to see an upgrade.

----------

I wonder if Apple are seeing Adobe's move to subscriptions as an opportunity to revamp their pro apps. Dreams of iPhotoshop...

As you're a real live photographer (beautiful work, by the way), I'm curious if you think a non-Adobe workflow is conceivable. For instance, can you see yourself using a program like Pixelmator instead of Photoshop?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
June - WWDC / iOS 7 & Mavericks Preview
July - Logic
August - Aperture
September - iPhone, etc.
October - Mac Pro

& so on.

I don't know if they space the releases to keep the news going. We've all seen Apple release multiple things at the same time. But I do think Apple will have all the pro apps refreshed before the Mac Pro is released. So your schedule might be good or at least no more than a couple months off.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Seems like Apple is completely revamping all its pro apps, and yes, looks like Aperture is next. If they do what they did to first Final Cut and then Logic, we can look forward to a revamped UI. :)

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Seems like Apple is completely revamping all its pro apps, and yes, looks like Aperture is next. If they do what they did to first Final Cut and then Logic, we can look forward to a revamped UI. :)

Why would you say it "looks like it's next"?

And yes, the UI is severely dated.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I don't know if they space the releases to keep the news going. We've all seen Apple release multiple things at the same time. But I do think Apple will have all the pro apps refreshed before the Mac Pro is released. So your schedule might be good or at least no more than a couple months off.

True. Though sitting on finished software to release at the desired time is much simpler and less risky than holding back hardware.

Process of elimination, they've already updated the other two.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
So... for consistency... do you think it will be renamed "Aperture Pro X"?

FCPX
LPX
APX

/Jim
I think there's a good chance. Not only for consistency among the software, but also to tie it to the "Pro" hardware, whether or not that is MBP or Mac Pro.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA

It is definitely dated, but it does work. I'm thankful they didn't take the (in my opinion) gawd-help-us approach of the LR4/5 interface, which when you compare it PS, it's hard to believe they're from the same company :)

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
It would be unusual!

I wonder if this will be a free upgrade or another charge.

I think you have to see this as a revamp rather than an update. As such and there are already been two revamps to X, I think it will be $79! First day purchase for me!

I have this horrible feeling though that they will combine IPhoto and Aperture in a new package under a new iLife X......iPhoto has been were they have had all there investment for this type of app recently!?!?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I wonder if this will be a free upgrade or another charge.
That's obvious: it's a major upgrade, so you'll have to pay. I reckon the price will stay the same, so I'll pay less than what I paid for my Aperture 2 --> 3 upgrade. And after so many years, I have no problem paying for an upgrade.
I have this horrible feeling though that they will combine IPhoto and Aperture in a new package under a new iLife X......iPhoto has been were they have had all there investment for this type of app recently!?!?
Why do you worry about that? Final Cut Pro X is not a merger of Final Cut Pro and iMovie, iMovie is still around and Apple has no intention of merging it with its pro video editing app. Ditto for Logic vs. GarageBand. I don't think there is any need to worry that Apple will make Aperture into iPhoto Pro.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
As you're a real live photographer (beautiful work, by the way), I'm curious if you think a non-Adobe workflow is conceivable. For instance, can you see yourself using a program like Pixelmator instead of Photoshop?

Thanks that's very kind of you. At the moment for me there is no real alternative to Photoshop's retouching tools. I use it in-depth and spend quite a bit of time on every picture. If I was doing events it might be a different story. I would love to have an alternative as my software costs will triple (UK prices) with CC compared to CS upgrades every 2 years.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I use Pixelmator for layers and such. [...] As you're a real live photographer (beautiful work, by the way), I'm curious if you think a non-Adobe workflow is conceivable. For instance, can you see yourself using a program like Pixelmator instead of Photoshop?
Pixelmator is a competitor to Photoshop Elements, not the big version of Photoshop. If you can get by with Photoshop Elements, in all likelihood you'll get by with Pixelmator. I have Pixelmator and I can't think of anything I'd need that Pixelmator doesn't offer.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Pixelmator is a competitor to Photoshop Elements, not the big version of Photoshop. If you can get by with Photoshop Elements, in all likelihood you'll get by with Pixelmator. I have Pixelmator and I can't think of anything I'd need that Pixelmator doesn't offer.

For me, it's missing merging panoramas and HDR (e.g. merging to 32-bit files, then bringing back into Lightroom to tone map, not true HDR).

By no means faulting Pixelmator for this - it's great, and those features are somewhat out of scope add-ons. I would really love to switch to Pixelmator and support them, but to do away with PS completely I would have to purchase a few other tools to fill the gaps instead of a one-stop shop.

I'm hoping Aperture X incorporates some of these features so I can consider a pure Aperture/Pixelmator workflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.