Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
hey guys, i know there are lots of threads about macbook pro...but i feel like i need an another thread...sorry...anyhow...

I'm dropping 2k for a macbook pro.... but i was thinking about getting a mac pro....since the price might be at that range....

First of all...should i even wait for any refreshes for either?

Second, if i'm dropping at least 2k...should i get retina Rmbp?

third...or should i wait...?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What are your expected needs? Not knowing how you're going to use it, makes it impossible to offer any advice.

Do you need a mobile solution, i.e., plan on taking it with you? If you're thinking of a Mac Pro why not include an iMac in the decision choice?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I'm dropping 2k for a macbook pro.... but i was thinking about getting a mac pro....since the price might be at that range....

I wouldn't count on a new Mac Pro being in that price range, just a hunch.

As for retina or not, only you can decide whether you need it (and can justify the cost), but keep in mind a Mac Pro won't have that feature.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
To me, the retina premium is not worth it. You can pick up a refurb 2012 cMBP for around $1700 and upgrade it yourself later when you have the funds. The MBP is a capable desktop replacement for almost every use case and it can travel if necessary.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
What are your expected needs? Not knowing how you're going to use it, makes it impossible to offer any advice.

Do you need a mobile solution, i.e., plan on taking it with you? If you're thinking of a Mac Pro why not include an iMac in the decision choice?

sorry, but to be specific...i would use it for heavy work with logic and adobe cs5 and homework....

i know that i need to upgrade memory..but i would need somewhat high end 15 inches...

----------

I wouldn't count on a new Mac Pro being in that price range, just a hunch.

As for retina or not, only you can decide whether you need it (and can justify the cost), but keep in mind a Mac Pro won't have that feature.

you are correct...but i meant to say 2k to 3k...sorry..

----------

To me, the retina premium is not worth it. You can pick up a refurb 2012 cMBP for around $1700 and upgrade it yourself later when you have the funds. The MBP is a capable desktop replacement for almost every use case and it can travel if necessary.

i mean i have 2011 mbp 15 inches with 8 gig rams...and i need to buy another one..for my lady..i installed her microsoft office for her use...
therefore i would need one for myself...

as you mentioned...could it replace desktop?

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
sorry, but to be specific...i would use it for heavy work with logic and adobe cs5 and homework....

i know that i need to upgrade memory..but i would need somewhat high end 15 inches...

----------

you are correct...but i meant to say 2k to 3k...sorry..

----------

i mean i have 2011 mbp 15 inches with 8 gig rams...and i need to buy another one..for my lady..i installed her microsoft office for her use...
therefore i would need one for myself...

as you mentioned...could it replace desktop?
It certainly can. But do you want a laptop or a desktop? I agree with the other posters get a classic 2012 15 inch

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
It certainly can. But do you want a laptop or a desktop? I agree with the other posters get a classic 2012 15 inch

i wouldn't mind getting 2012...but then new one comes out...oh boy...
plus does it does it have 3.0 usb? i know it doesn't have cd drive...which i still need to use it.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
i wouldn't mind getting 2012...but then new one comes out...oh boy...
plus does it does it have 3.0 usb? i know it doesn't have cd drive...which i still need to use it.

Actually it does have a cd drive. I think.... At least the 13 inch one does yes I checked 15 inch still has the superdrive. The retina one doesn't. And yes usb 3.0 is on the 2012 model for both retina and non-retina. And nobody knows for sure but general speculation is Apple won't update the nonretina models as part of a plan to phase them out. However, I take that with a grain of salt since nobody really knows what Apple will do.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
Actually it does have a cd drive. I think.... At least the 13 inch one does yes I checked 15 inch still has the superdrive. The retina one doesn't. And yes usb 3.0 is on the 2012 model for both retina and non-retina. And nobody knows for sure but general speculation is Apple won't update the nonretina models as part of a plan to phase them out. However, I take that with a grain of salt since nobody really knows what Apple will do.

i think u and others gave me a great info on macbook pro. I'll look into more detail about this new model...and if nothing..i'll go buy it.

timeandspace

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
hey guys, i know there are lots of threads about macbook pro...but i feel like i need an another thread...sorry...anyhow...

First of all...should i even wait for any refreshes for either?

Second, if i'm dropping at least 2k...should i get retina Rmbp?

third...or should i wait...?

Would you consider getting a refurbished MacBook Pro? They can be half the price starting at around $900

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.