Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwoodfin2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
I will be getting my first Macbook Pro this year and use a lot of VMs?Barring cost, which one is better?What features are in one but not the other?What do you use?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I will be getting my first Macbook Pro this year and use a lot of VMs?Barring cost, which one is better?What features are in one but not the other?What do you use?

I use Parallels and am happy with it. My us eis primarily to run MS Office Apps and DVDCatalyst and have had no performance issues. I do not do any gaming beyond so I really don't put heavy demands on it. That said, I've used Fusion and have been happy with it as well. Personally, I'd go with whichever was cheaper.

There is also a bundle going on right now with Parallels and some other apps that may be of interest.

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
I had been a VMWare fan for years but the I like the new Parallels better and use that now.

madrobby

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
Daham
I've switched from Fusion to Parallels a while ago and I'm happy. I switched because of better support of Retina screens and Mountain Lion full screen mode. Fusion probably has caught up by now,

I use it for VMs with various Windows versions and Internet Explorer versions for web testing and it works great.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
I found Parallels better for gaming, and slightly better performance wise overall (though not by much). Though the popups annoyed me a bit.

I prefer VMware Fusion for it's better Linux compatibility (also tends to support newly released distros quicker, as well as other OS's) and stability.

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I haven't used either software extensively, but I prefer Vmware fusion.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States

If you are more of a technical user, you would probably appreciate VMware Fusion Professional better. It will provide compatibly with VMware Workstation, Player, and ESXi Server VMs.

If you are a desktop user and prefer the integration with OS X and are using VMs to exclusively use Windows desktop applications on occasions, then Parallels may be worth looking in to.

I used Parallels when it was first released for Intel OS X in 2006 and it was the only offering at the time. Being a frequent ESXi and VMware Workstation user, I have used Fusion exclusively for the past few years. I have also noted that Fusion seems more stable on occasion that Parallels in the past, but I have not compared the two recent versions with each other.

Parallels has been criticized for their upgrade pricing in the past as well as "phone home" code in their software to present you with "special offers" on occasion. Fusion does not seem to have this "special offer" feature.

Both offer trial versions of their software. I would encourage you to download both and see which one you like.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole

I used Parallels after trialing Fusion and bought it simply because it was cheaper. Regarding performance they seem to be about par. Every few months there seem to be a sale on one or the other. Just be on the lookout between now and the time you pull the trigger on the MBP.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I prefer Fusion for not popping up ads for a product that I've paid for on startup. Don't overlook all the prior threads on this topic. It's very common.

Barring cost, which one is better?
Always define "better" no matter what the topic. What are your must have features, priorities, etc? If one was universally better then we'd all use it and no one would use the other.

jwoodfin2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I will keep an eye on pricing, but I will probably get VMware Fusion just because it seems to meet my needs (and I don't like annoying popups on startup).

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
VMWare is more cross platform if this is important to you. IE. You can copy your fusion image to a PC and use it with VMWare Player. Thus if you need to share your images with others, go VMWare. If you know you'll never do that, flip a coin, they are very similar in speed and functionality with the latest version. I happen to own both.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
You can try Virtualbox to see if it meets your needs. It isn't as good as the others, but it does work, and it is free. I've found it to be more then adequate for what I want to do.

Jaypi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Los Angeles
I recently tested both and both have trouble with the "Alt + Tab" combination when ever you enter the "unity" mode (That's how the call it on Fusion).

Parallels had actually issues with my programs whenever I wanted to minimize or maximize it.

What I don't like about Parallels as well is that you find all the Windows App when you do the Spotlight Search. Some people like it, but I don't.

Jaypi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Los Angeles
Just curios is there any fix / trick that the "ALT+TAB" combination to switch between the windows works better whenever you are in unity view?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.