Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
Gah! I just can't decide if I should buy a current gen hexcore Mac Pro or wait for the new Mac Pro.

The one big consideration that's causing my angst is video card upgradability.

Knowing I can shove my GTX670 or higher into the current gen is pretty alluring, especially if I want to bootcamp it to play games.

The reasons for waiting is a faster processor and RAM.

Damn you Apple for waiting so long in between hardware refreshes on the Mac Pro line.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
It depends on what your needs and tasks you will be doing. May be hard to make a decisiion as the new 2013 has not been released yet and we still don't have enough info. Crucial part is the pricing and your budget and the type of setup you need. Just keep in mind the new Mac Pro will be a first gen hardware with a new OS so maybe wait for more user reviews after the machine has been released.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
The "current" generation was just removed from the Apple Store. Well, "just removed" as in "it was there the last time I checked, and now it isn't".

Your 'location' next to your post indicates you are in the EU Market ( Sweden). There was nothing there but a placeholder anyway. New (from the factory) Mac Pro was pulled from those stores close to 6 months ago. Even the refurbs ( in EU countries that have it) are generally lacking Mac Pro offerings for sale ( but at least it is listed as a greyed out option).

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
I also had a 3,1 MP (2 x 2.8 GHz) and sold it after buying a new 5,1 (hex-core 3.3 GHz) just a week ago.

The new MP is 50% faster (based on Geekbench), has a much better GPU, much less expensive memory and, most importantly, a 12 month warranty that I can extend to three years through AppleCare.

I bought the 3,1 (at the end-of-life price, saved a boatload) when the 4,1 MPs were introduced. And sold it yesterday for $1200, thereby paying for almost half of the 5,1.

I don't need to be on the bleeding edge. I'll be happy to run the 5,1 MP while the new systems are sorted out. It will be interesting to see what develops: pricing, options, third party products. And the 5,1 will probably hold it's value quite well over the next few years.

Last edited:

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
I don't need to be on the bleeding edge. I'll be happy to run the 5,1 MP while the new systems are sorted out. It will be interesting to see what develops: pricing, options, third party products. And the 5,1 will probably hold it's value quite well over the next few years.

Good point..

What's the benchmarks on the Hex 3.3? btw? Anyone?

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
I also recommend picking up the current generation Mac Pro.

Before new Mac Pro intro: "OMFG the current gen is SO out of date!!11!one!"

After new Mac Pro into: "OMFG the new Mac Pro sucks, get the previous gen!!!"

:rolleyes:

cledet

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Before new Mac Pro intro: "OMFG the current gen is SO out of date!!11!one!"

After new Mac Pro into: "OMFG the new Mac Pro sucks, get the previous gen!!!"

:rolleyes:

Not sure why you get this impression I'm against the new Mac Pro. I just prefer the current generation because of the ability to expansion and perform my own upgrades.

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
Not sure why you get this impression I'm against the new Mac Pro. I just prefer the current generation because of the ability to expansion and perform my own upgrades.

I'm pretty sure you weren't being singled out. Reading the forums, it seems to be the common theme. People complained that the current gen was long in the tooth in technology and sorely needed updating.. until they saw the next gen.. suddenly the old gen was the schiznit.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I think the Geekbench is around 15800 to 16000+

I'm pretty sure you weren't being singled out. Reading the forums, it seems to be the common theme. People complained that the current gen was long in the tooth in technology and sorely needed updating.. until they saw the next gen.. suddenly the old gen was the schiznit.

Yeah, funny how that came about. :p But I guess when the new one Geekbenches at 22000 to 24000 or whatever then most of the folks who just upgraded to the 5,1 ahead of the 6,1 release will be placing them on e-bay right quick. ;)

Which also might be an opportunity for you. I guess there will be a flood of MP5,1 models on ebay for the first 6 months or so after the MP6,1 releases. There might be some nice prices. ;)

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
But I guess when the new one Geekbenches at 22000 to 24000 or whatever then most of the folks who just upgraded to the 5,1 ahead of the 6,1 release will be placing them on e-bay right quick.

Not a chance.... My 5,1 Geekbenches @ 27,448

I recently upgraded from a 2,1 to my 5,1. Good now for several years.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Not a chance.... My 5,1 Geekbenches @ 27,448

OK, so the new one will be 32,000 to 34,000 somewhere. I said "whatever" meaning I dunno the number - but it'll be faster than the 5,1 and that's reason enough for many people to go for it - even if not you personally.

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
Yeah, funny how that came about. :p But I guess when the new one Geekbenches at 22000 to 24000 or whatever then most of the folks who just upgraded to the 5,1 ahead of the 6,1 release will be placing them on e-bay right quick.

It's not all about Geekbench. So I'll disagree. In my view MOST people will look at the value proposition for the new MP and come to a decision based upon pricing, features and the (now necessary) third party offerings. Many of us (including me) will only upgrade when the 5,1 no longer serves.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
It's not all about Geekbench. So I'll disagree. In my view MOST people will look at the value proposition for the new MP and come to a decision based upon pricing, features and the (now necessary) third party offerings. Many of us (including me) will only upgrade when the 5,1 no longer serves.

That's all true too. But the 6,1 will be faster at whatever... even excluding Geekbench all together. And a very large portion of people always buy the newest machine - especially if it's significantly faster - which the 6,1 probably will be. Already MP 5,1 machines are turning up on ebay about 2 or 3 times as often as they were 4 months ago. This will no doubt increase after the 6,1 releases. It would be very odd if it didn't! So I kinda rest my case. As in that's all I was ever saying anyway:

• Point one: The 6,1 will almost surely be faster than the 5,1 - and likely significantly so.
  • Point two: We have already and will continue to see an increase of MP 5,1 deals on ebay as time goes on.
I guess those are both pretty close to absolute facts. :p

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
I'm not overly concerned as others over some of their reasons for not wanting a 6,1. My only concern at this point is video card prowess tbh.

If there's an option for a higher end nVidia GPU, I'll buy one. I can't stand AMD GPU's as I've had too many bad experiences with them (and not just their GPUs). Why Apple continues to use them on their Pro equipment is lost on me.

I want fast RAM, and a nVidia GPU and I'll be happy. I already have a linux box serving as a high capacity NAS to store my data on.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Case in point: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17595976/

I'm not overly concerned as others over some of their reasons for not wanting a 6,1. My only concern at this point is video card prowess tbh.

If there's an option for a higher end nVidia GPU, I'll buy one. I can't stand AMD GPU's as I've had too many bad experiences with them (and not just their GPUs). Why Apple continues to use them on their Pro equipment is lost on me.

I want fast RAM, and a nVidia GPU and I'll be happy. I already have a linux box serving as a high capacity NAS to store my data on.

I agree! And I don't dig AMD cards either! Coolness on the DIY NAS. :)

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
That's all true too. But the 6,1 will be faster at whatever... even excluding Geekbench all together. And a very large portion of people always buy the newest machine - especially if it's significantly faster - which the 6,1 probably will be. Already MP 5,1 machines are turning up on ebay about 2 or 3 times as often as they were 4 months ago. This will no doubt increase after the 6,1 releases. It would be very odd if it didn't! So I kinda rest my case. As in that's all I was ever saying anyway:

• Point one: The 6,1 will almost surely be faster than the 5,1 - and likely significantly so.
  • Point two: We have already and will continue to see an increase of MP 5,1 deals on ebay as time goes on.
I guess those are both pretty close to absolute facts. :p

The Xeon E5-2697 with 2.7 Ghz which will be used, is not faster then a Dual 3,33 GHz. The E5 ist faster on same clock speed, but it was only announced a 12 core at 2.7 Ghz by Intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.