Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southpoleman69

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
pa
just got a tmobile sim, popped it in my phone, and success, unlocked. swapped the sim into my wifes and im not getting the same results. any one experience this before? is it possible it is because now the sim is activated on my phone and am unable to use it to unlock hers? what other explanation is there?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Why do you think the sim is responsible for unlocking your phone and why do you expect it to unlock your wife's phone?

southpoleman69

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
pa
Why do you think the sim is responsible for unlocking your phone and why do you expect it to unlock your wife's phone?

Used swiftunlocks, both are ready to be unlocked. Went to tmobile, guy said the same one should work for both, so therefore I assume it would. I put it in mine first and it said need to activate, once it went through I had tmobile service. Now in hers it says it is not recognizable. So I figured because now the sim I got is active, it won't work.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Used swiftunlocks, both are ready to be unlocked. Went to tmobile, guy said the same one should work for both, so therefore I assume it would. I put it in mine first and it said need to activate, once it went through I had tmobile service. Now in hers it says it is not recognizable. So I figured because now the sim I got is active, it won't work.

Looks like your wife's iPhone is still not unlocked, would try contacting swift unlocks.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area

So just to clarify to make sure I'm understanding correctly, you purchased only ONE unlock code from swiftunlocks and the rep at T-Mobile said the same one should work for both iPhones? If so, then the rep was mistaken. You'll need to get a second unlock code for your wife's iPhone. The unlocks have nothing to do with the T-Mobile SIM card, but rather with your iPhone's IMEI number (which is unique to each device).

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Used swiftunlocks, both are ready to be unlocked. Went to tmobile, guy said the same one should work for both

Your first mistake was believing anything technical told to you buy a guy in a cellphone store. :D There's the occasional exception but in general take anything with a grain of salt.

You'll need to get a second unlock code for your wife's iPhone. The unlocks have nothing to do with the T-Mobile SIM card, but rather with your iPhone's IMEI number (which is unique to each device).

^^^^ This. Same SIM should work on any/all unlocked phones since it has nothing to do with unlocking the phone. Unlocking is device specific so if you didn't buy a 2nd code for your wife's phone you will need to. If you did buy a 2nd one, talk to swiftunlocks to find out why it didn't work.

southpoleman69

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
pa
Your first mistake was believing anything technical told to you buy a guy in a cellphone store. :D There's the occasional exception but in general take anything with a grain of salt.

^^^^ This. Same SIM should work on any/all unlocked phones since it has nothing to do with unlocking the phone. Unlocking is device specific so if you didn't buy a 2nd code for your wife's phone you will need to. If you did buy a 2nd one, talk to swiftunlocks to find out why it didn't work.

I do have 2 unlock codes, i emailed swiftunlocks and was told they are going to resubmit the code and to try again in the morning, which i am trying now, so ill see what happens. my point was maybe i got wrong information and thought once the sim was activated in my phone it couldnt be used to unlock the second phone even though i did buy the unlock code for it.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
SIMs are not tied to a specific device. You can confirm this by taking the OLD SIM from your phone (the one you used before you unlocked) and putting it in your wife's phone. Her phone will recognize it, and when you call your old number, her phone will ring (assuming you didn't port your number to the new T-Mobile SIM).

southpoleman69

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
pa
Tried this morning all went well. Once at tmobile the manager tried upselling me 2 tmobile iphones due to the fact that there phones can run faster than an unlocked phone. Any truth to this or he just wanted to make 2 sales?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Tried this morning all went well. Once at tmobile the manager tried upselling me 2 tmobile iphones due to the fact that there phones can run faster than an unlocked phone. Any truth to this or he just wanted to make 2 sales?

Unfortunately its true.
The Tmobile iphone 5 will connect to HSPA+ in more places and thus giving you faster data speeds.

southpoleman69

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
pa
Well that sucks. Oh well im only staying on until the next iphone makes an appearance so im not to upset it as i have wifi at work and home. Just need to make calls obviously

southpoleman69

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
pa
does it make more sense to use att go phone plan? i hear users are only getting about 60-70% of the quality contract users are getting? not looking to get on another contract until at least the new iphone comes out

southpoleman69

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
pa
So if i have a tmo sim card, and pick up a gophone sim card for 10 bucks just to see if theres a major difference for my daily activities, popping in the att card and activating is not going to do any damage to my tmobile number and plan correct? Because its all sim based. I can just take my att card and have my number and service from tmobile

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
So if i have a tmo sim card, and pick up a gophone sim card for 10 bucks just to see if theres a major difference for my daily activities, popping in the att card and activating is not going to do any damage to my tmobile number and plan correct? Because its all sim based. I can just take my att card and have my number and service from tmobile

Yes, that's the beauty of gsm carriers.
You can just pop in any sim and use any phone number or carrier you want with no probs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.