Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
anyone notice this? This is the first app in my suite where I am actually noticing jerkiness on my iPad 3. I wonder why, as I wouldn't think it's a very graphically demanding app.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I didn't notice. Were you just looking at locations or getting directions?

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
It's jerky here, too. But not by much.

What bothers me most is the two finger swipe gesture getting in the way of the pinching half of the time.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
I didn't notice. Were you just looking at locations or getting directions?

just basic scrolling around the map is jerky. zooming in and out takes half a second to update the labels, so again the impression is much less than the "smooth as butter" interface I've been used to (and certainly slower than Apple Maps).

the worst performance hit I've noticed is when tapping on the menus on the side. they stutter a fair amount when coming in and out.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I messed with it a bit more. I see what you're saying about the side menu slide in and out. Rendering is as fast as I'd expect. I'm using wifi though. I'd say it's all quite okay but you're right, it's a bit less smooth when compared to Apple maps, but scrolling to and from, renders just as fast. I'm also using hybrid mode.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
It's the same for me as the OP. It stutters quite a bit when scrolling and zooming on my ipad 3. In contrast Apple Maps on the same device is buttery smooth. FWIW, the same thing happens on my iPhone 5; GMaps stutters while Apple Maps doesn't at all. :cool:

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Yes it's is very choppy. It's been that way since Google maps was released as a stand alone app. Happens on all devices, iphone 5, ipad 4, mini. Looks like it's running 30fps instead of 60fps. I guess some are less picky about this than others, but it was immediately apparent to me and it's very bothersome. I guess Google wanted iOS users to have a taste of 30fps goodness since Android users have suffered from it until recently ;) The latest Google maps on the HTC One is smooth, like running Apple maps on the iphone 5.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I spoke too soon about the HTC One Google maps running at 60fps. It was, until my phone received the update to the redesigned version that matches the iOS version. Now it is just as jerky as the iOS version.

Works fine on ipad 2
Sure it works fine, but scrolling around is very choppy. Check out this video for 30fps vs 60fps. Some may not notice it as much as others. To me it is night and day. This is what the OP is talking about, the jerkiness.

google doesn't write very good software but the maps are better than apples at least the info on them is
Based on the smoothness alone I prefer Apple's maps, plus the traffic info on Google maps is useless to me because the green/red/yellow traffic indication all look the same to me - I'm very weak on certain shades of green and red. Apple's maps uses dotted lines which is much better. The only thing missing on Apple maps is exit numbers on highway. The only time I switched over to Google maps is when I need to lookup exit numbers. Looks like it will remain so, at least when I'm using the iphone.

Last edited by a moderator:

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Noticed menus are slow for the iPad 4 as well.

this is surprising, and somewhat of a relief. I really didn't want to start seeing signs of age in my iPad 3 just yet!

the older version of Google Maps works great on my iPhone 5, not stuttering at all. I don't think I'm going to update it, since I use GM on my iPhone very often.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
I spoke too soon about the HTC One Google maps running at 60fps. It was, until my phone received the update to the redesigned version that matches the iOS version. Now it is just as jerky as the iOS version.

Sure it works fine, but scrolling around is very choppy. Check out this video for 30fps vs 60fps. Some may not notice it as much as others. To me it is night and day. This is what the OP is talking about, the jerkiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nU2_ERC_oE

Based on the smoothness alone I prefer Apple's maps, plus the traffic info on Google maps is useless to me because the green/red/yellow traffic indication all look the same to me - I'm very weak on certain shades of green and red. Apple's maps uses dotted lines which is much better. The only thing missing on Apple maps is exit numbers on highway. The only time I switched over to Google maps is when I need to lookup exit numbers. Looks like it will remain so, at least when I'm using the iphone.
are you colorblind? because traffic line looks perfectly normal for me.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I went back and played with it again for the last 20 minutes browsing around the United States in maps mode and in satellite mode. I went in and out of the menus, traffic, bicycling, public transit and such while browsing around. I went to areas where I live and then over to the Boston, Manhattan and Long Island areas too.

Through all of that the Google Maps worked quite well and I didn't have any issues to complain about regarding performance. My iPad is a 3rd generation 16GB one too.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
It's definitely jerky for me.

When opening the sidebar, and when hitting the, uh, that button that takes the view to your location. Stutter City!

Either affects usage, though. But definitely noticeable.

Wait, maybe Google's just trying to show us what it's like using Android? :D

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
are you colorblind? because traffic line looks perfectly normal for me.
Guess I wasn't all that clear, but yes I am. In this day and age, I'm surprise these gadgets are still not more accommodating to the color blind. A bit OT here but I once got in trouble with my boss. I was the admin managing a 800 node division. One of my daily routine was making sure all servers were 100%. My boss walked by the server room and saw that one drive in a RAID array failed, the indicator is the dreaded green light that changes red to indicate a problem. Couldn't use that as an excuse though as I'm supposed to receive an alert from the management console.

It's definitely jerky for me.

When opening the sidebar, and when hitting the, uh, that button that takes the view to your location. Stutter City!

Either affects usage, though. But definitely noticeable.

Wait, maybe Google's just trying to show us what it's like using Android? :D
Yeah :D In all seriousness, the current Android phones (high end ones anyway) are silky smooth. It depends on the app though to run at full 60fps, some games such as gravity guy are still extremely choppy on Android but is silky smooth on even the older iPhones, exactly the same choppiness in Google maps. I just got an HTC One and am switching between it and my iPhone 5 as I please, though I've been on the HTC a whole week now without switching back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.