Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a report from earlier this week describing how Apple has approached cable companies and networks with a proposal to allow viewers to pay to skip over ads, The New York Times weighs in with a broader look at Apple's strategy for taking over the living room. The report highlights how Apple has chosen to cooperate with content providers rather than attempt to replace traditional cable companies, a strategy that is likely to make it significantly easier for Apple to establish itself in the market.

Of particular interest is a forthcoming deal to bring a Time Warner Cable app to the Apple TV, a move that would allow existing Time Warner subscribers to view content without the need for a separate set-top box and with a software interface designed by Apple.
Apple has talked in-depth with other big distributors about similar apps, according to people involved in the talks. Its intent is to collect a fee from distributors in exchange for enhancing their television service and in that way, theoretically, make subscribers more likely to keep paying for cable.

"They're trying to apply their software expertise, their user interface expertise," one of the people said.
sky_news_apple_tv_proud.jpg
The report also points to the addition of a Sky News app among other new channels as part of an Apple TV update last month. The Sky News app, developed by 1 Mainstream, offers a simple and direct way for the channel to gain access to millions of households while laying the groundwork for further adoption of 1 Mainstream's platform.
The Sky News app is free, but the software that powers it, from a company called 1 Mainstream, also allows for à la carte subscriptions.

Asked about the implications of the app, Rajeev Raman, the chief executive of 1 Mainstream, said: "It's a learning year for Apple. And it's a learning year for all of us, to say, O.K., what really does work?"
Apple has long referred to the Apple TV as a "hobby", but CEO Tim Cook noted at the D11 conference back in May that the company has a "grand vision" for how Apple will be able to remake the television experience. But as with any complex market involving numerous stakeholders, the task is a challenging one and Apple is clearly working hard to win over needed partners to achieve that vision.

Article Link: Apple Edging Further Into the Living Room by Cooperating with TV Content Providers

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I dont' want to pay for cable anymore. When I can watch the shows I want to watch without having to pay extra for the channels I don't, then you will have my interest.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Oh just setup a napster like way to steal TV shows without ads and make it so they can't trace it to Apple and then when the TV companies are desperate Apple will be there to "help" them out of the problem

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Apple TV is doing good business without much support from cable and tv providers.

I think they are starting to realize that it might be in their interest to get onboard before Apple does something really disruptive that wrecks their core business model.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I dont' want to pay for cable anymore. When I can watch the shows I want to watch without having to pay extra for the channels I don't, then you will have my interest.

Just curious, How much will you be willing to pay for the shows that you want to watch?

otisg

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2013
I hope the future of TV in Apple's eyes is better than the current Sky News app.

First of all, Sky's stream isn't even 720p HD. I think Apple needs to set its sights on streaming AT LEAST this quality, preferably 1080p (H.265?).

Second, the live stream is sort of buried in that app. I expect a better way to browse live content than click app, scroll through cover flow, click live.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012

We bought our Apple TVs to enable us to cut the cable cord in favor of Internet streamed TV programming.

We will be none too amused if we have to go back to a cable subscription loaded with rubbish public access and mind numbing infomercial channels.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Oh just setup a napster like way to steal TV shows without ads and make it so they can't trace it to Apple and then when the TV companies are desperate Apple will be there to "help" them out of the problem

Lol people have been watching tv shows streams for free on the internet for a good while now. ;)

------------

This rumor is disappointing; I removed cable more than a year ago and I'm still waiting on new apps for my atv that are not stupid.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I hope the future of TV in Apple's eyes is better than the current Sky News app.

First of all, Sky's stream isn't even 720p HD. I think Apple needs to set its sights on streaming AT LEAST this quality, preferably 1080p (H.265?).

Second, the live stream is sort of buried in that app. I expect a better way to browse live content than click app, scroll through cover flow, click live.

Agree wholeheartedly, as it is it is super clunky, regardless of click wheel or iOS remote control.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Just curious, How much will you be willing to pay for the shows that you want to watch?

Depends on the show/channel honestly. Something like breaking bad I would be willing to pay $15/month for where as to be able to have ESPN, not as much, but it would be nice to have without having to get a higher end cable package.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
In a world where tablets meet most of the computing needs for many people, but they occasionally need a larger screen, then that larger screen could easily be their TV. I wonder if this is part of the Apple motivation to move into TV?

InfernoShade

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
New Jersey, USA
I think apple is finally realizing that they can't control every aspect of everything they get involved with.

What are you talking about? You seem to have forgotten history. :)

It's that attitude that would have paying $30 now for an album. Apple, worked with record labels way back when they were afraid to go digital. Apple pushed hard and we all benefited. Price went way down. And then Apple fought about DRM and got it removed. So the compromise was to raise the price a bit for no DRM. But the labels are never happy and want more money.

Apple pushed hard with the iPhone. They broke some of the hold the carriers had. It was the carriers that had total control over everything on your phone before Apple came along. Thanks to Apple pushing we've all benefited. Now look at all the cool choices we have from Android to iOS to Windows and so on. And look at all the cool features/apps we have when developers like Google etc have control over the phone.

The cable industry is terrible and needs to be disrupted. We are all paying 100% for something that we only use %5. Not to mention 90% of it is junk. Apple should push hard on this too. But like with music they know you have partner with people. We'd all like to brake some of the hold the cable co/providers have on us. It can only helps us - hopefully give us choice and better pricing.

This article is biased if it tries to make it seem Apple needs to have everything their way and is uncompromising. Apple always worked with other companies to offer consumers a better experience. Yes, they push hard, but you have to when you want greedy, backward-looking companies to change.

Last edited:

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013

The current iTunes store rates are acceptable to me. $20-$35 for a season's worth of ad-free episodes in HD that I get to watch any time I want is pretty fair. For the half dozen or so shows I actually want to have, that still works out to far, far less than I pay for DirecTV -- enough that I can add on some sports subscriptions and still come out way ahead.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
We bought our Apple TVs to enable us to cut the cable cord in favor of Internet streamed TV programming.

We will be none too amused if we have to go back to a cable subscription loaded with rubbish public access and mind numbing infomercial channels.

That was my goal when I just recently moved, but Comcast suckered my into paying $10 more a month to double my internet speed to 50Mbs and get the very basic cable channels. I think with the current ATV and airplay Apple is very close on allowing more and more people to cut the cord

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I would love something like Netflix Plus (for want of a better name), for say £30-35/mo (compared to Netflix's £6/mo) but it has all the latest movies at the same time as BD/DVD release date, and all TV shows added on the same day they air on TV.

I would pay that in a heartbeat.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
That was my goal when I just recently moved, but Comcast suckered my into paying $10 more a month to double my internet speed to 50Mbs and get the very basic cable channels. I think with the current ATV and airplay Apple is very close on allowing more and more people to cut the cord

I haven't had cable TV for about 3 years. The value of cable TV, especially premium cable, just isn't there.

mbc2237

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
I love how every article on the Apple TV or the secret TV set refers to it as a "hobby." I wish my hobbies were multimillion/billion dollar ventures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.