Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Who's with me?: The new "Folders" in iOS 7 suck compared to iOS 6.

IMO, instead of waiting so long for it to zoom into a folder it should be a swift expansion of the folder in the UI itself like in iOS 6 (but sans the linen texture) and with smaller icons not full sized. Also it should be a continuos scrolling with "infinite folder" feature, not having to swipe sideways for additional icons.

Feel like it's a step backwards now.

But oh well, I'm sure there'll be a jailbreak tweak for that.

costica1234

macrumors regular
May 21, 2013

IMO, instead of waiting so long for it to zoom into a folder it should be a swift expansion of the folder in the UI itself like in iOS 6 (but sans the linen texture) and with smaller icons not full sized. Also it should be a continuos scrolling with "infinite folder" feature, not having to swipe sideways for additional icons.

Add me to the list.

Yes, folders look horrible and seem less practical given that you only see 3 x 3 apps at a time. At least on iPad (and even on iPhone & iPod touch) it would be great if we can see at a glance 4 x 4 apps.

Also, I hate the transparency they adopted for folders. That doesn't convey the meaning of a folder IMO. A sort of a fine frame would have been great. But let's hope Apple will change them ASAP.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Not with you. Folders in iOS 7 are the most beautiful example of the groundbreaking dynamic UI—as they flawlessly zoom in from the actual content shown on the home screen, there are no metaphors, no BS. The animation is not for flair, it is functional in conveying the most logical possible transition. iOS 6 folders are full of broken metaphors: some icons shown on home screen, some hidden? Even more hidden with 5" screen? And positions of icons which shift depending on whether 9, 12, 16 are being displayed? What is the point of dynamic icons with content so far removed from what is being represented? My only gripe is how the background stretches during the zoom sequence. Same thing with the parallax wallpapers (different topic/thread).

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
I love the new folders. In iOS 6, you saw 9 apps, until you opened it, then you saw as many as 12? Useful, I guess, but it didn't make sense. And you said having them grouped by transparency doesn't make sense, however neither does touching a folder and having the screen split open with linen background there. I like the new look, it at least the color of the transparency based on the background of your choice, rather than always being linen.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I love the new folders. In iOS 6, you saw 9 apps, until you opened it, then you saw as many as 12? Useful, I guess, but it didn't make sense.

If we have to choose between useful and make sense, I prefer useful.

I'm with the OP, I'd rather have 12 icons in my folder. Actually, with the iPhone 5 + infinidock (jailbreak tweak), I can have 20 icons in my folder without swiping or scrolling. I wish Apple had gone in that direction.

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2013
I don't have so many apps that I need more than 9 apps per folder, but I understand it might be a drawback. Having said that, I truly love the new transparency, and how the whole interface changes when you change the background. Is like infinite themes. Love it!:D

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
No, iOS 7 folders are beautiful, I really love the frosted glass.

And again, OP, do you know this is a beta? did you notice that the speed of the transitions from beta 1 to beta 3 have all speed up? and from here on, we will probably see minor changes visually and everything else will be focus on speed, stability (fixing bugs) and battery.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I would prefer more icons. And I really hope that whatever color averaging algorithm they use to determine the folder background color gets sorted out...I seem to only get a nasty tan background, or green, or light blue. Even with a totally neutral grey background, the folders are blue.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Some users want more apps visible at once, many will never need more than 9, but again how hard is it to have settings called folder settings?

Folder settings:
No animation, instant view on or off
12 icons on or off
Folder background color tint

Might be nice to be able to custom tint your folders, or none, sometimes depending on the wallpaper they look like crap, I would like no color.

But we are back to giving people options, something Apple has in the past not done very much of.

So we have jailbreaking I guess, but Apple could eliminate the need with just a power users setting panel, something I'm sure 90% of people would not even look at, heck I know people who don't even change the brightness level.

The Flying Kite

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
Why not have 4 rows of 3 apps? Just extend the folder square down enough for another row of icons, keep the folder title where it is, and then there's 12 apps per page in a folder. This would also keep it so that the 9 apps shown in the folder preview before you open the folder are the same first 9 apps in the folder. This would definitely fit on the iPhone 5, but maybe not on the iPhone 4S and below.

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Not with you. Folders in iOS 7 are the most beautiful example of the groundbreaking dynamic UI—as they flawlessly zoom in from the actual content shown on the home screen, there are no metaphors, no BS. The animation is not for flair, it is functional in conveying the most logical possible transition.
It's pretty, but why is it logical that the folder icon zooms into a giant version of itself when no other icon does that? It doesn't translate to anything in the real world either. A real folder doesn't work this way, and the expectation when clicking a button is not that the button becomes bigger and interactive, it's that initiates some action.

It's a glaring example of form over function, where 3/4 of the screen real estate is wasted and usability suffers just for the sake of an animation that provides nothing of value. There is a reason why this "groundbreaking dynamic UI" isn't employed by anyone else.

Also, the seamless zooming in transition is ruined by the folder title changing it's position. Why isn't it below the folder when it's zoomed in?

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
Also, the seamless zooming in transition is ruined by the folder title changing it's position. Why isn't it below the folder when it's zoomed in?

I noticed that in beta 1 and reported it to Apple as a UI bug. Hopefully they'll fix it.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL

I couldn't agree more!

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I love the new folders. Yes you can only see 9 on each screen, but it's as if you're actually zooming in on the icon itself and paging inside of it. It makes so much 'sense', and just feels right.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
I love the new folders. Yes you can only see 9 on each screen, but it's as if you're actually zooming in on the icon itself and paging inside of it. It makes so much 'sense', and just feels right.

This is exactly how I feel, too. The new folders and animations are some of my favorite parts of iOS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.