Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Verizon today became the first of the major U.S. iPhone carriers to report financial results for the second quarter of 2013, revealing during its conference call that the carrier activated approximately 3.9 million iPhones during the quarter. The number represents a little over half of Verizon's 7.5 million total smartphone activations during the quarter and is up approximately 44% from the year-ago quarter.

The 3.9 million iPhone activations on Verizon also topped analyst expectations in the range of 3.5 million.

Verizon also reported that it has essentially completed rollout of its 4G LTE network, covering 99% of its 3G footprint with LTE. The carrier's LTE network now covers 301 million people, or 95% of the U.S. population, in over 500 markets. That LTE network is also now handling 59% of Verizon's total data traffic, with 33% of postpaid customers currently using LTE-compatible devices.

verizon_lte_devices_2q13.jpg
Finally, Verizon announced that 64% of its postpaid customer base is now on smartphones, up from 61% at the end of the previous quarter.

Apple will announce its quarterly earnings next Tuesday, July 23.

Article Link: Verizon Tops Expectations with 3.9 Million iPhone Activations in Q2 2013

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
So... Are they having a hard time selling those iPhones or...?

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Wow that LTE rollout was a lot faster than I expected! Good to hear for when I upgrade my 4S, Verizon 3G sucks.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
I must have been living in the 1% of their old 3G network the last three days. It might be by population and not area.

Does anyone know gown this compared to numbers released a couple weeks ago? I can't find the link and the slow pre 3G network (GPRS) is painful. I recall it had the iPhone quite a bit below 50% on Verizon.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This seems interesting in that these statistic fly in the face of other reports that the iphone sales are slowing. If half of all phones sold by verizon and att are apple phones, I am guessing that the slowdown must be in other countries :confused:

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
The other 49% went in to buy an iPhone but were attacked with droids at the door and beaten senseless by Verizon employees until they finally gave in.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
This seems interesting in that these statistic fly in the face of other reports that the iphone sales are slowing. If half of all phones sold by verizon and att are apple phones, I am guessing that the slowdown must be in other countries :confused:

It said iOS devices....lots would be iPads

----------

That could be the case. Has anyone else heard of the markets where iPhone sales are decreasing?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It said iOS devices....lots would be iPads

Valid point. My mistake. Howeve, isnt the point still the same. iPads are slowing in sales as well according to the reports. I think the only thing the reports have said are increasing is the iPad mini. But could they be selling that many mini's to make up for all the losses that are reported in all other idevices? So my point is that in the end it seems to me the reports were wrong and that Apple is selling a more than what people think (at least in the USA). But the truth will be known in a week with the Apple Quarterly result.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Wow that LTE rollout was a lot faster than I expected! Good to hear for when I upgrade my 4S, Verizon 3G sucks.

Yes their 3G sucks. Their LTE is wildly inconsistent. Some (most) places (I traveled this summer - Central FL to NH coast) get what AT&T users were getting on the 4S. But some spots (the bigger cities) it is pretty fast.

In any event, overall it is a decent speed, miles ahead of their 3G

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
No matter what happens this news will help tank Apples share price.

If it is truly good news, then analysts will raise their estimates of Apple's sales at the last minute, so they can be "disappointed" next week.

If it is bad news in any way they will focus on only that.

No good news can help Apple in the stock market or in the press no matter how many products the company is selling.

It just doesn't matter. If Apple reduced lower priced phones and sells a zillion, analysts can complain about their margins.

If apple sells tons of high end products then a Analysts will bemoan their low market share.

If apple does well in china then we will hear only about how poorly the company is doing in Russia.

And where will we hear all the bad news first? You guessed it, from AI.

Okay rant ended lol. :)

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
No matter what happens this news will help tank Apples share price.

If it is truly good news, then analysts will raise their estimates of Apple's sales at the last minute, so they can be "disappointed" next week.

If it is bad news in any way they will focus on only that.

No good news can help Apple in the stock market or in the press no matter how many products the company is selling.

It just doesn't matter. If Apple reduced lower priced phones and sells a zillion, analysts can complain about their margins.

If apple sells tons of high end products then a Analysts will bemoan their low market share.

If apple does well in china then we will hear only about how poorly the company is doing in Russia.

And where will we hear all the bad news first? You guessed it, from AI.

Okay rant ended lol. :)

Spoken like someone who bought the stock at 700 ;)

Media manipulation is nothing new in the stock market or with Wall Street. If the fundamentals continue, the price will eventually settle accordingly. The runup to 700 in the first place should have never happened.

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
Apple is doomed.

/for i(diots)Critics because no matter what for as long as it is not about new iGadgets announcements.

Oh, what 512ke said. :D

Elvergun

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
Imagine how many more iPhones Verizon would have moved if sales reps had not steered customers away from Apple products by convincing people to buy an Android instead.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
From all I was reading, I thought everyone was switching to T-Mobile ?

Most of Tmobiles new customers are coming from Sprint and AT&T. Verizon's network is so vast that even with the people who leave them, there are just so many new customers that it offsets any customer loss.

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
I must have been living in the 1% of their old 3G network the last three days. It might be by population and not area.

Does anyone know gown this compared to numbers released a couple weeks ago? I can't find the link and the slow pre 3G network (GPRS) is painful. I recall it had the iPhone quite a bit below 50% on Verizon.

It's got to be population based, because we have HUGE swaths of Verizon area where it's only 3G (often without even having reliable data connection despite a good 3G signal) and even a ton of area that is not yet even 3G - drops to the little "o" (what is Verizon's 2G called?). I spent three whole days without touching an LTE signal, putting 1000 miles on the odometer around the northwest...

I am always running tests on my phone, and my friends do too on other carrier networks. Too keep carriers honest about their "coverage" statistics.

http://rootmetrics.com

I test wherever I travel... ;)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

You have to look at the source of those "reports". Many of these research firms have clients that want/need information to be portrayed in a certain light.

So they take a few isolated bits of info and declare that Apple has reduced orders of iPhones or some other nonsense.

Bottom line. Verizon's iPhone numbers bode well for apples iphone numbers for q2. I've updated my rough estimates and I'm coming up with 30.5 million iPhones now. This is with taking international sales at a conservative mix of 63%, vs. US at 37%

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
No one wants a 4" screen...Isn't that the mantra of the Apple trollers?

Just because 50% of people are buying 4" iphones doesn't mean they wouldn't prefer a 4.5" iphone. A 10% increase in screen size would deter zero people from buying an iphone. A 10% decrease in screen size would deter millions of people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.