Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys.

I decided i want to change the way my dock looks in Mavericks.

I have tried Mirage, and to my surprise, that didn't work in 'making the dock transparent'.

I tried the terminal commands, to at least make the dock 2-D.

Didn't work. I have been doing that terminal hack since 10.5, never failed before.

Going through the Dock Options pane, i could move the position of the dock to the sides, where it would become 2D, so it is not broken.

Anyone else seen this? I can't change the appearance of it at all.

Nero Wolfe

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have a feeling that the side dock appearance (white, 2D) will be the default appearance for all dock positions in the final build of Mavericks. Maybe there will be an option to choose (for the bottom) but I'd put money on a 2D bottom dock.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I have a feeling that the side dock appearance (white, 2D) will be the default appearance for all dock positions in the final build of Mavericks. Maybe there will be an option to choose (for the bottom) but I'd put money on a 2D bottom dock.

I'd like to believe this, especially since the old 2D terminal option no longer works. Somehow I have my doubts, though.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB

So maybe those sarcastic "what if Jony Ive got hold of Mavericks" mockups on the iOS 7 threads might be partially true?

Nero Wolfe

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So maybe those sarcastic "what if Jony Ive got hold of Mavericks" mockups on the iOS 7 threads might be partially true?

Nah. It's just the Mountain Lion dock un-3D'd (is that a word?). Really, it looks like the dock from Tiger more than anything.

Last edited:

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
sad that mirage no longer works. hopefully some change is in store, it looks quite dated.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
As of Mountian Lion, the Dock is rendered by the OS, instead of the OS using a set of image files like in Lion and before, so it can't be edited.

The 2D dock terminal trick only worked via a string item in the Dock executable. As of Mavericks, that string item has been removed.

The only way to edit the dock would be to patch the encrypted Dock executable, and inject software to re-render the Dock differently in memory. Not a simple task.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Copying ML's Dock to 10.9 Dock wouldn't work? There are some changes in APIs but..

This is a no. The executable simply won't launch. Just to be sure I went ahead and tested myself. Swapping the app, swapping just the executable, either way it won't.

Last edited:

Spikestrip

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
California
As of Mountian Lion, the Dock is rendered by the OS, instead of the OS using a set of image files like in Lion and before, so it can't be edited.

The 2D dock terminal trick only worked via a string item in the Dock executable. As of Mavericks, that string item has been removed.

The only way to edit the dock would be to patch the encrypted Dock executable, and inject software to re-render the Dock differently in memory. Not a simple task.

We wouldn't be able to change the color of the many many png images in /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources in order to change the color of the Dock?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
We wouldn't be able to change the color of the many many png images in /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources in order to change the color of the Dock?

Take a closer look. The pngs in that location are for certain small aspects of the dock(stacks background, "poof"), and the dashboard, but none for the actual look of the dock itself.

andreaslarsen

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
I like the new dock better than the old one - just some cleanup and icon change and I'm happy;)
MvQW+

ytsejam

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
Maybe we can go about it another way... is it possible to force the new look for the dock when it is on the left or right, but place it in the bottom still?

DockMac

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008

What does "rendered by the OS" mean?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
What does "rendered by the OS" mean?

Oh god I suck at explaining things, but I'll try... Previously, the Dock was made up of a set of .png images. The Dock.app binary basically just said, "Hey CPU/GPU/whatever, these .png's need to show up *here* when Dock.app is active."
Now, however, the Dock.app binary says, "Hey CPU/GPU/whatever, this set of pixels on the screen need to be colored *this way* when Dock.app is active. You can handle that right?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.