Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habbfreaky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Hi there,

Some time ago a friend of mines screen of his iPod Touch 4G stopped working.
It showed a lot of dead/stuck pixels in a group. Moreover, the rest of the screen remained totally white. Now, those dead pixels have disappeared and sometimes small grey lines form and go away.
When viewed upon from a very flat angle, the UI is visible and responds to touch. The device is controllable, but you cannot see what you do, because the screen is totally white.

Rebooting/restarting several times over the past few weeks haven't resolved anything.

Does anyone know what could cause this? It isn't as simple as the screen that is broken, since you can view the UI very faintly.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, the screen isn't physically broken. The glass isn't shattered or teared.

Last edited:

Habbfreaky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
connect it to iTunes and restore. but set up as new, not from backup. see if that helps.

Would that resolve the issue of the screen being totally whitened out? I don't know if that is a hardware problem of the screen, or the video card for the screen.

Habbfreaky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Well it probably is hardware, but you can try to restore it before giving up on it. Was it ever exposed to water?

After restoring it, the screen still disfunctions. I noticed the backlighting does change by the ambient light sensor (that was even before restoring). After restoring, nothing has changed. The screen is slightly visible but I'm not able to set it up or anything.

Then it must be hardware, I guess. Would changing the whole screen be an option or would the problem be the video chip? If that's so, the money of replacing the screen would go to waste.

Thanks for your help and insight, it's unfortunate it didn't work :)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I would really just get a replacement one or upgrade to the 5th generation. Used ones are like $80-100 on eBay. The screen would cost you $25, but you have to open it up from the front since there's no screws, and you could do even more damage to it and end up wasting money anyway.

Habbfreaky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
I would really just get a replacement one or upgrade to the 5th generation. Used ones are like $80-100 on eBay. The screen would cost you $25, but you have to open it up from the front since there's no screws, and you could do even more damage to it and end up wasting money anyway.

Thanks for your overview, he is upgrading to a 5th gen :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.