Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After introducing iWork for iCloud during its Worldwide Developers Conference and sending invites to registered developers soon after, Apple has begun inviting normal users to test the software according to a number of MacRumors tipsters.

The following invitation is being sent out to users who have been accepted into the iWork for iCloud beta:

iworkforicloud.png
We'll soon be introducing a new and exciting feature to iCloud. It's called iWork for iCloud and it's a suite of apps -- Pages, Numbers, and Keynote -- that make it easy for anyone with an iCloud account to create and edit great-looking documents, spreadsheets, and presentations right on the web.

We'd like to invite you to be one of the first to try it, so we're giving you early access to the iWork for iCloud beta. All you have to do is sign in to iCloud on a Mac or a PC using the current version of Safari, Chrome, or Internet Explorer. Then just click on Pages, Numbers, or Keynote and you're off.

We're really proud of these apps and we'd appreciate your help in making them as great as they can possibly be. So we'd love to hear your feedback as you use them.

Sign in to iCloud.com to get started with iWork for iCloud today.

Sincerely,

The iWork Team
iWork for iCloud offers in-browser versions of Apple's iWork software suite, including Pages, Keynote, and Numbers. The software can be accessed from both PC and Mac computers as well as a number of mobile devices. It is expected to be released to the public later this year.

Thanks to Jason and the other tipsters!

Article Link: Apple Sending iWork for iCloud Beta Invites to Non-Developers

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Wow a screenshot of Windows from Apple and it's an up to date version? I remember they used to use screens of XP well into Windows 7's release.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Gone are the days of having to pay the Apple tax just to make a pretty pigment presentation!

Wow a screenshot of Windows from Apple and it's an up to date version? I remember they used to use screens of XP well into Windows 7's release.

I remember when I used XP well into Window 7's release.

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
Does anyone know if this will be brand new release? or will it be the old '09 version?

Top1Dog525

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2012
Florence, MS
I can't :mad: lol

You will get yours eventually. My boss got his three weeks ago and I just got mine today. I think that they are sending the invites out in groupings over time; probably to keep from having millions of people flooding their system at once to use their new abilities.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I've been on the beta test for some number of weeks now. It works well enough but I never find a real use for it. What's the point if you have a Mac you can run iWork native on the Mac. This is great if you are on a PC, or were seriously broke and could not afford Pages and Numbers. But if you own a Mac I don't see the point.

One serious flaw is that all the Mac features are not supported so if you open a Mac iWork document in the on-line version you get asked if you want to make a copy with the format features removed. You click "yes" and go. But now how to save your edits back to the "real" document? For this to work all version must be 100% identical.

The on-line version can't have every font you own on the Mac either. So if you open a document using the online editor and it uses some font that is not on-line it should offer a kind of substitution

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Speaking as a web developer, I'm hugely impressed by this.

(I'm tempted to use it to make Keynote presentations for my work--which would be quite a deal, since I never bought standalone Keynote.)

Darien Red Sox

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
CT, USA
Seems cool. Played with it for a bit. It will be nice to be able to work on iCloud documents on PCs. Wonder what they will do with it in the next few years.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I have been working with it this afternoon. It accesses all of my stored cloud files and I'm impressed. I actually forgot I was working in a browser window. Some Pages documents are still a bit rough but creating a new doc is a snap. Keynote is fantastic already. They're really on to something here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.