Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fox Digital Entertainment revealed that a RPG based on the cult TV series Firefly will be coming to iOS next summer, reports Polygon.

The game, which will be officially licensed, is in development and will have players recruiting a crew and leading missions, while trading goods with other players. Gamers will be able to customize their games and play with friends across both iOS and Android platforms.

"At QMx, we know firsthand how great and powerful a franchise Firefly is and how mighty the Browncoats are," said Andy Gore, CEO of QMXi and Quantum Mechanix Inc. "It has always been our mission to bring the Verse to life for our customers in every way possible. The idea of creating an interactive experience where fans can have their own Firefly adventures -- well, that's just too shiny for words."
Players interested in Firefly Online can sign up for more information on the game's website at KeepFlying.com.

Article Link: Official 'Firefly' Game Coming to iOS in 2014

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Firefly had its time and should be left on the shelf from now on.

I'm not disagreeing with you, i love Firefly and think it probably should be laid to rest, but Star Trek is a great example of a failed TV series coming back to life a decade after its original failed TV outing, so people never give up hope.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Although I'm super stoked about this news, that trailer is absolutely worthless.

Well not entirely....The music did bring back a lot of nostalgia :p

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'm not disagreeing with you, i love Firefly and think it probably should be laid to rest, but Star Trek is a great example of a failed TV series coming back to life a decade after its original failed TV outing, so people never give up hope.

I'm a huge Star Trek fan but with the current revival, Star Trek for me exists from TOS to Nemesis. JJ Abrams made a couple of movies called "Star Trek" with characters sharing names from TOS but it was far from Star Trek.

JBunkers

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
In the middle
Houston, we have a problem...

Failed? How do you figure it's a failed series? The Next Generation, Deep Space 9, and Voyager, they each ran for 7 seasons. That's 21 seasons of Star Trek shows (plus the 3 seasons of the original ST series). Hardly a failed series.

Firefly, on the other hand, was a failed series, having lasted only 1 season (and barely that at only 14 episodes). Which is very unfortunate, because it was an AWESOME show. It really deserved to go on, based on its quality in my opinion, but apparently it just wasn't profitable enough for the studio to keep it going.

Personally, I'd much rather see them get the original cast back together and revive the show, than to play a game about it a decade+ after its demise. Sadly, that will probably never happen.

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Failed? How do you figure it's a failed series? The Next Generation, Deep Space 9, and Voyager, they each ran for 7 seasons. That's 21 seasons of Star Trek shows. Hardly a failed series.

Firefly, on the other hand, was a failed series, having lasted only 1 season (and barely that at only 14 episodes). Which is very unfortunate, because it was an AWESOME show. It really deserved to go on, based on its quality in my opinion, but apparently it just wasn't profitable enough for the studio to keep it going.

Personally, I'd much rather see them get the original cast back together and revive the show, than to play a game about it a decade+ after its demise. Sadly, that will probably never happen.
The original Star Trek only lasted 3 seasons of it's 5 year voyage. I think the series you're listing are what Mr-Stabby means by coming back to life.

Didn't Netflix bring back Arrested Development? Maybe they'll revive Firefly...

I'm with you on the game though-- why reward Fox for killing a quality show by buying a second rate game? The quote in the article makes me cringe...

JBunkers

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
In the middle
The original Star Trek only lasted 3 seasons of it's 5 year voyage. I think the series you're listing are what Mr-Stabby means by coming back to life.

Didn't Netflix bring back Arrested Development? Maybe they'll revive Firefly...

I'm with you on the game though-- why reward Fox for killing a quality show by buying a second rate game? The quote in the article makes me cringe...

I see. I thought he was referring to the more recent Star Trek movies from the past couple of years as "bringing back to life" that franchise, as it is closer to the newer series (by his "a decade after" comment) than the original series from the 1960's. Maybe in 30 years they'll reboot FIREFLY, although by then I'll be in my 70's or 80's and likely won't care anymore.

As for Netflix picking up FIREFLY, they'll have to wait until CASTLE gets cancelled, as Nathan Fillion is now the star of that hit show. Which incidentally, recently got renewed for a 6th season.

Last edited:

CaptHenryMorgan

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2013
The District
so is this just going to be like Tradewars or Escape Velocity or something?

You make a Firefly-themed Escape Velocity sound like a bad thing!!!

I for one HATE online gaming, so I won't be playing this. But an Escape Velocity/Nova game with a Firefly skin for iOS? I'd pay $10 for that (no in-game purchases thanks)

smigit2002

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
You make a Firefly-themed Escape Velocity sound like a bad thing!!!

I for one HATE online gaming, so I won't be playing this. But an Escape Velocity/Nova game with a Firefly skin for iOS? I'd pay $10 for that (no in-game purchases thanks)

I'm with you on that! I did a Nova play through a couple years back after an original EV playthrough. Those were enjoyable days.

And it sounds like a Firefly plug has been in the works for Nova for literally years.
http://z4.invisionfree.com/GunRunner/index.php?
Many think it's dead at this point, but we'll see.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle

All that, and don't forget that Star Trek TOS was at one time dead last in the ratings, and was nearly cancelled during the second season (but was saved by a letter writing campaign). Despite what it all eventually turned into, and even though I love it dearly, there certainly are grounds to call the original incarnation of the show a "failed" series. And that's not even mentioning most of the third season...

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Well, the other stuff by the studio doesn't make them look particularly well equipped to pull of a quality Firefly game, but you never know, once in a while people rise to the occasion. Of course, I hate online games so I'm not likely to play it, but count me among those who agree that Fox had it's head where the sun don't shine when it cancelled that show.

It did get its movie, which is more than Star Trek managed for a decade (unless you count the animated series--everybody forgets about that!) although I actually didn't like that much--it managed to answer a lot of questions that they probably should have gotten to a lot more quickly in the series, but sort of screwed up the characters and basically re-used the season finale villain.

I'm a huge Star Trek fan but with the current revival, Star Trek for me exists from TOS to Nemesis. JJ Abrams made a couple of movies called "Star Trek" with characters sharing names from TOS but it was far from Star Trek.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

That said, as others pointed out, I'm pretty sure the "failed series" reference was to the ten-year gap between ToS and The Motion Picture (again, if you don't count the animated series, which was about halfway between).

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
Well i'm looking forward to this
The only thing better than a Firefly game would be a Farscape game.
Or a Culture game.

But then again, i quite liked the first Abrams ST film, and from the trailers, i'm looking forward to eventually getting around to watch the latest one.
I'm not sure if that has any bearing on why i'm excited by a Firefly game, but there you go.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Failed? How do you figure it's a failed series? The Next Generation, Deep Space 9, and Voyager, they each ran for 7 seasons. That's 21 seasons of Star Trek shows (plus the 3 seasons of the original ST series). Hardly a failed series.

As others have said, i did mean the decade between TOS and the first movie. Hell even the first movie i recall was a critical failure, even if it did make enough money to warrant a second one.

Though i suppose the situation is different here. Joss Whedon is a much sought after Hollywood director these days, Castle will run for a few more years and hell the actors are getting older! Though a show like Red Dwarf proved that you could have the actors be older and still have it work as long as you don't ignore the fact that they're older like some shows tried to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.