Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy a black iPad 5 if the shell is anodized black?

• Yes

Votes: 69 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 15.9%

• Total voters

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I prefer a black bezel iPad, but hate the cheap looking, easy to scuff black anodizing on the iPad mini/iPhone 5, so I think if the black shell makes it to the iPad 5 (which it surely will), I'll either keep my 4 as long as possible or switch to white.

You?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i know that Ipad should be sheding some weight but if apple do that by using the same materials as Ipad mini then maybe Ipad 2 willjust be my last Ipad. Or i will just go for the reduced priced Ipad 4.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I love my Mini and my iPhone 5 and have no problems with the finish on either
I would seriously consider upgrading my iPad 3 to the next gen if it had the same look and feel

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I wouldn't mind a black back with a metal ring around the edge of the screen bezel. Considering the black is essentially a paint job, this shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Not sure what some people do with their tech. I've had an iPhone 5 and Mini since launch and both are practically mint. Both caseless, used everyday, travel a lot etc, no special treatment.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not sure what some people do with their tech. I've had an iPhone 5 and Mini since launch and both are practically mint. Both caseless, used everyday, travel a lot etc, no special treatment.

A friend of mine is fond of saying, "Some people could break an anvil." :D My father could make a new car look 10 years old in two months, and I see people throw their car keys and sell phones onto table when they get home, so....

P.S. Back in my photography days, it wasn't cool to own a Nikon that wasn't black. When the black wore off the edges to reveal the brass underneath, it showed the camera had seen a lot of use ;)

Florals

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2013
I personally love the anodised finish, I think it looks really stylish. However, I highly doubt that the colour of the back casing would ever be a deciding factor for me - I'm buying it for what's on the inside, and if it looks good on the outside as well, that's great. After all, it's Apple - it's never going to be revolting. How often do you really look at the back of your iPad, anyway?

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
The black iPad Mini and iPhone both look amazing, but I decided to go with the white iPhone because I didn't want white looking specks on my black phone every time the sides were scratched. So when the 5th gen iPad comes out, I'm going to go with the white one.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
I dont care at all about these things, but please apple make the device lighter, atleast as light as Xperia Tablet Z. Then i will buy eyes closed.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Of course! Why wouldn't I? Love my iPhone 5 and the anodized look. I have no idea why so many people have an issue with it. Put your phone in a case if you're worried about wear and tear. Smh

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
Of course! Why wouldn't I? Love my iPhone 5 and the anodized look. I have no idea why so many people have an issue with it. Put your phone in a case if you're worried about wear and tear. Smh

I don't use cases, so I'd rather go with the device that doesn't looks hideous when it does wear. My brothers black ipad mini and black iPhone both have white looking specks on the sides, and it looks terrible. If I was using a case and just covering everything up, of course it wouldn't matter. I wouldn't even see the back or sides of the phone. I'd just rather not turn a beautiful phone into a plastic bulky brick by adding a case.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I wont buy any ipads that have thinner side bezels. I will be getting a new ipad in about 2 years, and i will buy the 4 used if i have to. I dont care if its 3 years old then.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I just bought a black convertible last October, so I need to color coordinate (everything on and in this car is black :D). My wife and I do a lot of fly fishing, and our reels are anodized black. American made reels have MUCH better anodizing than those made in Asia, but the price reflects that.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I just bought a black convertible last October, so I need to color coordinate (everything on and in this car is black :D). My wife and I do a lot of fly fishing, and our reels are anodized black. American made reels have MUCH better anodizing than those made in Asia, but the price reflects that.

holy irrelevant comments batman

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not entirely irrelevant. People have been complaining about Apple's anodizing, and I can assure you that not all anodizing is equal. Fly fishing reels can be abused quite a bit without much noticeable damage to the anodized finish. Apple could change their anodizing process any time they feel too many customers are complaining. Some colors are more suited to anodizing than others BTW.
Edit: I should have emphasized QUALITY anodized reels in the above comment. Cheap anodizing can get scratched by removing it from the package too quickly.

As far as cases, I have a matte black Lifeworks case for my black iPod. It's very thin, but offers a great deal of protection for the device's back. I bought it at Walmart, but haven't found one as nice for iPads. It's just thick enough that the protruding camera lens is perfectly flush now.

Last edited:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I think when it's time I'll be fine with a black anodized iPad. I'll throw a case on it like every iPad I've owned and not think about it.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
i should say it isnt the anodizing quality that bothers me, its that the black is just plain ugly and cheap looking.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Each of the iPhone 5 models I've bought for my family have been easily scratched.

Conversely the iPad minis have a much better finish. It seems that Apple just got cheap with the iPhone.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I personally love the anodised finish, I think it looks really stylish. However, I highly doubt that the colour of the back casing would ever be a deciding factor for me - I'm buying it for what's on the inside, and if it looks good on the outside as well, that's great. After all, it's Apple - it's never going to be revolting. How often do you really look at the back of your iPad, anyway?

This is a weird point.

Both the black and whit iPad will have the same things inside so you'll have to decide which outside you want.

Quicklite

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
Doesn't matter for me.

I can't really tolerate scratches. :)

So no matter how anodised, thin, or light the iPad 5 is - I'll put it into a case where it belongs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.