Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past couple of months, there have been multiple reports indicating that Apple may be delaying its rumored Retina iPad mini until early 2014, with Taiwan's Economic Daily News citing Retina panel shortages as the primary reason.

ipad_mini_display.jpg
DigiTimes now reports that LG Display has made some progress with its production of iPad mini Retina panels and is expected to ship them later this year.
The sources also added that LG is reportedly making new headway in producing Retina panel technology for use in the next-generation iPad mini, and expects to ship about 2-3 million units a month in preparation for Apple's expected October release date
The new claims are in stark contrast to a DigiTimes' report from earlier this week, which stated that an upgraded Mini would ship in late 2013, while the Retina iPad mini would not ship until 2014. NPD DisplaySearch analysts have also published similar reports suggesting two separate Mini refreshes, but have flip-flopped multiple times over the tablet's release date. While it's unclear which reports are true, it's clear that Apple will ship a Retina iPad mini at some point in the future.

Apple's next generation iPad mini is expected to feature an "almost bezel-free" design, along with processor upgrades and a lighter, thinner design.

Digitimes' report also reiterates that the upcoming fifth generation iPad will be lighter, smaller and more powerful. Previous reports have claimed that the tablet, which is expected to be released sometime in the fall, will have a more iPad mini-like design.

Article Link: LG Shipments Indicate Retina iPad Mini Could Arrive As Early As October

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
should've came with the first one, but nope they leave it out for v2 to make it all magical so the fanboys will buy into it.

quadrakid

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
And how pray tell does one hold and use a 'bezel free' thin as a razor touch screen device? My iPad mini is constantly slipping and sliding as is...

ahbiteme

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I don't understand narrowing the bezel unless they incorporate something for accidental touches at the edge of the screen. I know the mini will fit in one hand for a lot of people, but otherwise, you have to hold it by the top and bottom rather than the sides. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I'm happy to be enlightened.

I'm looking forward to the release of the Retina Mini. My girlfriend finds the full-size iPad too heavy for reading in bed and I think the smaller design is better for my needs, although I'll keep my third gen full size one for other uses too. Plus, since I have an iPhone 5, it'll be really nice to have one cable for everything.

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
just becuz it comes with the magical retina display? lmao

I don't see why not. Many people expect a certain thing to spend their money on. Please let me know if you are wise enough to not spend money on something that you really desire.

waqas

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Chicago
rumor mill brewery

battery life in such a thin device with a retina display? meh.

i don't feel like buying any of these rumors here. but if they're true (whenever the hell it is released), i might invest provided the ten hours are not significantly reduced (chances are they will).

jamswirl

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Yay! A rumour pointing towards retina in October.

Damn, digitimes. Might as well ask a monkey at the zoo, probably throws less sh** at the wall.

moxin

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
should've came with the first one, but nope they leave it out for v2 to make it all magical so the fanboys will buy into it.

troll, sensible buyers (fanboys) would not buy the first version cause they know what benefits next version is gonna bring. So try again.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Skipped the first because of non retina. If the 2nd has retina I will finally upgrade my ipad 2.

Dredd67

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Intersting, but still no clue on the actual resolution of this mini retina. Downsizing the whopping resolution of the iPad4 in a mini case would give something above 400 dpi, no ? Or something similar to the iPhones ?

Either way, this would mean being able to drive all these pixels so including at least the same CPU/GPU in a smaller package (not that hard) along with the battery (and this is hard). Are we about to see a new "breakthrough" in the mobile world in terms of battery like with haswell and laptops ?

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
This is awesome news. Might as well get this rather than the ipad 5.
But still curious about heat, battery life in such a smaller package than regular ipad.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
i cant wait till we get rid of all these not retina images in my app, is just a mess

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.