Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AllThingsD reports that Apple has acquired Locationary, a Canadian company focused on crowdsourcing location and other data on local businesses for improved accuracy.
Apple has acquired the Toronto-based Locationary, a small Canadian startup, backed by Extreme Venture Partners and Plazacorp Ventures. Multiple sources familiar with the deal tell AllThingsD it closed recently and includes Locationary's technology and team, both. The price of the acquisition couldn't immediately be learned.
Referred to as a "Wikipedia for local business listings" by AllThingsD, Locationary uses crowdsourcing and other means to improve local search results for mapping purposes by verifying such data as location and whether or not the business is still in operation.

locationary_saturn.jpg
Apple is obviously interested in Locationary for its potential to improve Apple's mapping services, which have received significant criticism since their launch in iOS 6 last year. Locationary's platform will help Apple to offer accurate data on various points of interest, enhancing the local business search integration that is a key part of mapping and navigation services.

Article Link: Apple Acquires Crowdsourced Local Business Search Firm Locationary for Improved Maps

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Google Maps is so good, especially 2.0, I don't think I'll ever use Apple Maps. They should just pull the plug on the maps project.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I thought Apple already had something like this built into Maps. You can already report location errors. I've done so a few times. Hasn't seemed to have any effect so far, but I reported it. :-/

mumph

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
I still cant believe Apple maps does not have motorway junction numbers in the UK!!!! Its the most fundamental thing!

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
I wish Apple would just start using Google Maps again. Their boycott against Google products is just silly and they're losing customers based off their instinctive decisions.

Both are great companies, and they should work together to make the most of what they have. Android isn't going anywhere, and I can't see how releasing some apple software on android would negatively impact Apple at all. Something like iTunes store on android would bring in more income, especially with Google being so willing to release their products all over the mobile spectrum.

Google has acquired 127 companies.

Apple has acquired 30 in the same time period.

He was being sarcastic

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Google has acquired 127 companies.

Apple has acquired 30 in the same time period.

:eek: Informed, sensible comments on the internet? Mods, this guy should be banned! /sarcasm

Seriously though, it looks like people now just want to look cool when they say "apple isn't innovating". The quality of comments seems to have taken a sharp drop.

EDIT: that was a sneaky, sneaky comment. I didn't notice it.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
At least Apple is aggressively trying to improve Maps. This is very good to see. Doesn't matter how they do it. Buy companies or hire people. Just get it done.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
How about purchasing a company that actually has local data for my area?

Foursquare is a perfect choice. It's crowd sourced, up-to-date and for the most part, accurate. I haven't even heard of Locationary. (Although, admittedly, the name is catchy.) But I don't think Apple would ever trust its users to provide location data like Foursquare does.

The reason why Google Maps and Foursquare are so current is because they enable users to freely add information to their databases. Would Apple ever allow their users to do that? Not a chance.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Google Maps is so good, especially 2.0, I don't think I'll ever use Apple Maps. They should just pull the plug on the maps project.

Microsoft was ahead of Apple in the tablet market by years, maybe they should have pulled the plug there. Blackberry was producing phones before Apple produced the iPod, maybe they should have pulled the plug there. Mp3s were around for years, maybe they should have pulled the plug there. Yes, they did a bad job with it, but that's what happens in life, friend. You fix things up, make them better, not give up.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Once again. No innovation. Just buying other peoples work...
/s

That's what most major companies do who want to compete. In some cases its good business. Why spend money on infrastructure, personnel, training, etc., when you can purchase a company who has what you need at less cost and is already up and running. Its no different than licensing.

Furthermore, have you been paying attention to what apple is doing; all the recent patents the company has obtained, the iWatch, the retina displays, the new Mac Pro design, to name a few. Maybe you should list a few innovations that you would like to see and we can better judge what Apple lacks.

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
maybe it's where i live, greater pittsburgh region, but siri and maps has never sent me to the wrong place or couldn't find a place. i love it.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
It's getting there. It would be cool with Siri integration:

"Give me directions to the nearest McDonalds"

"I found 16 Gymnasiums nearby"

Dammit, Siri!

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
I wish Apple would just start using Google Maps again. Their boycott against Google products is just silly and they're losing customers based off their instinctive decisions.

Both are great companies, and they should work together to make the most of what they have. Android isn't going anywhere, and I can't see how releasing some apple software on android would negatively impact Apple at all. Something like iTunes store on android would bring in more income, especially with Google being so willing to release their products all over the mobile spectrum.

Why should Apple go back to using Google Maps? Cooperation between two big businesses never do good for us. This way there's always competition between the two and they'll both get better. If you like Google Maps use that, if you like Apple Maps use that. There's very little to gain by asking Apple to stop, which they won't. Google invaded the phone world, Apple's slowly invading Google's territory. We can only benefit from this.

Android apps are apps that aren't specifically tuned to 1 device, or even 10, it's created for every phone regardless of hardware be able to use. Apple creates nothing like that, they know exactly the hardware that the apps will be used on and only those. And they release kits for develops fine-tuned for these. Apple has always done this, computers are specific and very hard to customize, mostly impossible. If you ever try to create a hackintosh you need to buy certain parts that are slightly compatible with Apples software with a little tweaking.

I agree Google Maps is better than Apple Maps right now. But Google Maps is also much nicer to use on an iPhone than on Android. It's missing small features but something about how it works on iPhone makes me rather use my phone than my computer for the maps feature, which are slowly coming to iOS.

If Apple never created their own competitor, Google would've never given us a great map.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I don't know how I feel about a "Wikipedia for local business listings" powering Apple Maps.

I mean, the nice thing about Wikipedia is that anybody can modify it. The bad thing about Wikipedia is that anybody can modify it. Most mainstream topics on Wikipedia are curated pretty well because there's high traffic to those pages; but I've seen some of the "off the beaten path" topics where the page content was laughable.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
At least Apple is aggressively trying to improve Maps. This is very good to see. Doesn't matter how they do it. Buy companies or hire people. Just get it done.

This is your idea of aggressive?

If Apple gave any less of a **** about fixing their maps I'd check for a pulse.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Right, because we should be only running software on our Apple products from 3rd party companies such as Google and because Google's mapping system was 100% perfect from day 1.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Now if only they would acquire companies like this at a more rapid pace!

not apples bag. grow slowly, grow smartly. good strategy to avoid a bunch of competing fiefdoms.

----------

it's not a boycott, it's owning your own stack. apple hopes to commoditize services (like maps) to sell more hardware. google hopes to do the inverse. apples strategy is working for them -- they're selling more hardware every single quarter.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
So Apple won't throw in the towel on this map thing, eh? Sheeez. Just accept that you can't do EVERYTHING well, Apple.

But no...Apple will spend millions, if not billions, in acquisitions, man hours, technical support, etc. to TRY to make a map app that comes close to Google...while annoying every single iPhone user in existence.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN

Google's licensing agreement with Apple to let Apple use Google Maps on the iPhone wouldn't allow Apple to implement turn-by-turn GPS navigation in order to make it an Android exclusive feature. In order to add the feature, Apple had to tell Google goodbye and that they didn't need them. If Apple was still using Google Maps I guarantee you there would be no turn-by-turn navigation. It's not a boycott, Google was just being very anti-competitive with Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.