Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past several weeks, an increasing number of photo leaks of what has been claimed to be the rear shell of Apple's rumored upcoming lower-cost plastic iPhone have surfaced, showing a device just slightly larger than the iPhone 5 and carrying the same layout of physical features, albeit with simplified microphone and speaker grille designs along the bottom edge.

yellow_plastic_iphone_back_comparison.jpg
Japanese magazine Weekly ASCII now shares some new closeup photos [Google translation, via Mac Otakara] of a yellow version of this plastic rear shell, showing it in good detail while also placing it alongside an iPhone 5 for comparison. The design continues to show a screw hole layout consistent with leaked iPhone 5S logic boards, suggesting that both the iPhone 5S and the lower-cost iPhone may share very similar logic board designs, at least at a broad level.

yellow_plastic_iphone_side_comparison.jpg
There is no confirmation that this rear shell is a genuine one leaked from Apple's supply chain, and the sheer number of photo leaks from various sources suggests that some of these parts may simply be unauthorized replacement parts. Still, these parts are appearing in significant quantities standardized around a common design that is also consistent with long-running rumors of Apple's plans for the device. At a minimum, there is a good chance that these parts offer a good representation of what Apple's lower-cost iPhone will look like.

yellow_plastic_iphone_inside.jpg

Article Link: Closeup Photos of Alleged Lower-Cost Plastic iPhone Rear Shell Compared to iPhone 5

froa

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2011
better than previous pics but still looks like a cheap plastic back case compared to iPhone 5.

Chase817

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
I have a feeling I'm going to want the plastic one more than the more expensive one...

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Sorry, not interested

I plan to buy my first smartphone later this year and my decision is setup up on the iPhone. I am not interested in a watered down/hand me down experience. I want the real deal, yes, it cost a little bit more, but its worth it. Especially with how long I keep phones. Going 5 years so far with my current Nokia feature phone.

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
The design looks quite nice; I don't know if it's because I'm colorblind or what, but that color does not look too good.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Multi coloured products always look cheap, they should have just stuck with black and white.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Still looks like something they'd release in eastern Asia. It's brightly multicolored and meant to compete more with Samsung.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I Like It Better

OK Colors aside, I never cared for the sharp edge slab look. I like the rounded corners. It just looks like it will fit in the hand better.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Looks legit. Even though it's supposed to be the rumored lower-cost iPhone it still has a certain finesse to it that probably only Apple could do. I would willing to buy the lower-cost iPhone vs the iPhone 5S but I'm still afraid of what their going to put inside it...

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Just thought I am getting the usual out of the way.

"SJ would have / wouldn't have"
"Never going to happen / will happen"
"Will never sell / I will queue three days in a line"
"It will / won't be called iPhone <insert xyz here>"
"I move to Android / Windows"
"Looks awesome / sh****"
"Share Price Up"
"Share Price Down"
"Safari is snappier"

So now that's out of the way ... Moving on :)

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I like that its uniform, never liked the back of the iPhone 5. Not wild about the color choices, but I'm sure some people will like them.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Looks legit. Even though it's supposed to be the rumored lower-cost iPhone it still has a certain finesse to it that probably only Apple could do. I would willing to buy the lower-cost iPhone vs the iPhone 5S but I'm still afraid of what their going to put inside it...

Care to elaborate on what 'finesse' you see? Is it the rectangle? The camera/volume cutouts? The font? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.