Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otisg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
Thought I'd post this on here since there may be people interested in doing what I just did.

I have "Broadcast Basic" Cable TV service from Time Warner Cable (Upstate NY) and Turbo Internet (20 mbps). This gets me a very limited selection of channels that are broadcast over the air for about $70/month (TV + Internet).

Today, I went online and chatted with a TWC analyst and got them to add HBO to my Basic Cable package without requiring the more expensive Digital TV package or a cable box! This lets me pay $15.95/month to access HBO GO (verified working) and, the analyst claims, watch live HBO (something like 20 channels) using TWC TV for iPad or Roku (verified working).

Since my iPad is jailbroken and I have UnrestrictPremium installed, I should be able to AirPlay live HBO channels to my Apple TV (verified working). I am fairly confident this will work since I was previously able to AirPlay some basic channels (CSPAN, HSN, QVC) I get through TWC TV.

So, there you have it. I was not expecting them to let me add a premium channel package to a basic lineup for internet-only streaming of said package, but they did. Now if only they would do the same with ESPN...

Last edited:

otisg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
Okay, I can now confirm that I have access to live HBO channels on TWC TV. I logged into my account online and went to "Edit Blocked Channels" to see what was available to me and all the HBO channels are unlocked along with the ones I was previously able to stream. Pretty awesome deal, if you ask me.

What they should do, however, is partner with Apple to let you order HBO GO through iTunes like you can with Netflix/Hulu! Fingers crossed something like that happens when TWC TV hits the Apple TV, as rumored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.