Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today released another anti-iPad commercial, this time focusing on the iPad's lack of a USB port while highlighting the Surface RT's keyboard and stand. The ad once again returns to using Siri's voice to point out the iPad's shortcomings.

"Oh dear, I need a little help here," says Siri as the Surface is propped up with its included kickstand. "I'm sorry, I don't have a USB port," Siri continues, before lamenting about the Surface keyboard. "Oh snap, you have a real keyboard too?"

Microsoft's newest ad comes just a day after the company announced that it was taking a $900 million charge "related to Surface RT inventory adjustments," during its fiscal fourth quarter earnings report. As of Sunday, Microsoft discounted the price of its Surface RT by $150.

The 32GB version of the tablet now sells for $349 compared to $599 for the 32GB iPad, which is another point that Microsoft uses in its newest advertisement. "This isn't going to end well for me, is it?" Siri asks, just before the prices flash on the screen. "No, definitely not ending well. Do you still think I'm pretty?"

Following yesterday's announcement, Microsoft stock fell 12%, marking its worst single day drop since 2000.

Article Link: Microsoft Releases New Anti-iPad Ad Highlighting Surface Accessories

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Microsoft

THATS WEAK....
Siri is doing ALL the talking.... so you're making Apple more glorious coz I find Siri super funny here.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Well, at least we know these ads are SUPER effective. Flying off the shelves :)

magiic

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
San Jose
Microsoft needs to focus on telling people why they should buy a Surface and not why they should not buy an iPad.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
It's to the point where Microsoft is simply trying too hard to make the surface look cool and it's something that shows and most consumers can pick up on. These ads probably help iPad sales more than Surface sales.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
It's difficult to pull off comparison ads like this and "I'm a PC" style ribbing without coming across as either scared or a bully. Apple's ad agency did it because in part, PC was cute and friendly, just a loser, and in part because Microsoft was so huge.

When you're already Microsoft, I don't personally think it works. Makes you look scared AND like a bully.

saboteur

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
Accessories on a Surface?!? ya, is there any other accessory for it besides the keyboard/cover?!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Especially weak considering the iPad DOES have a stand.

Aren't they just throwing money away on these ads at this point? With the price drop it seems pretty obvious they're not selling enough of these, seems like they're just having a fire sale like some of the other tablets that ended up going away.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Oh, I gotta have one!!!! NOT!!!!

It's a laptop, no a tablet. No it's a laplet, a laptab, a toptab..... Oh, it's just a flop......

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
Microsoft you fail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 22,462

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Its not really fair to compare the same sizes of internal space when the Windows OS is almost 16GB of space.

trauncher

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
USA
The Art Schol method of business suicide

Art Scholl (a famous aerobatic pilot) always said that when he died, he wanted to die "Full Throttle, pulling back on the stick, with both feet on the dashboard". That is exactly what Microsoft is doing.

Full throttle... both feet on the dashboard... straight down.

Perhaps this is why...

Attachments

• balmer.jpg
    balmer.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
MS had a good advertising plan when the surface came out, but the cost was just too high.

Now...anyone looking for a pad, just for emailing/surfing and use like an extention of their PC. Then they have the pricing right for that crowd.

Not sure if this price cut will help them now, but this is closer to the wha the introductory cost should have been.

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
That's funny. Microsoft is doing the best marketing job they can with the product that they have. Can't blame any company for doing that. At least they are showing actual differentiation that might matter to some people, and in a humorous way, which it not my recollection of their usual marketing.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I wish Steve Balmer would just quit. I much prefer a strong Microsoft against Apple than this weak shell of a company….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.